“One of our favorites!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 202 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: Gahan is a name unknown in Charlottetown today, but in the middle of the 19th century, John Gahan was a prominent merchant, an importer of teas, wines, and family groceries. His place of business was on the corner of Queen and Sydney Streets, the former McIsaac building. Mr. Gahan lived next door to the shop, at 126 Sydney Street, in a wooden house he had purchased from the Brenan Estate. In 1880 he replaced that residence with the mansard-roofed brick one now at this address. It remained in Gahan ownership until the beginning of the 20th century when John Gahan’s widow, Marguerita, sold the property to Edward Kelly, the enterprising Irishman who built and owned houses all over Charlottetown. After Edward Kelly’s death in 1922, the premises became the property of the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation. The Sisters of the Precious Blood built a large addition to the house and used it as a convent until the 1960s. In the last quarter century the Gahan House had been used as a boarding house. The Gahan Brewery (formerly Murphy’s Brewing Co.) was established in March 1997 next to the Lone Star Café at 449 University Ave. Due to the increased popularity of the beer, we relocated to its current location, 126 Sydney Street, thus doubling its production capacity and giving it a permanent home in Old Charlottetown in the Gahan House. Murphy’s Brewing Co. was renamed The Gahan Brewery in November 2000 and remains the only brewery on Prince Edward Island. The Gahan House Pub opened in June 2001 and quickly became one of Charlottetown’s favourite restaurants. It’s unique and friendly atmosphere, food, and fine Ales has helped to establish The Gahan House as a destination of choice for locals and tourists alike.From our house to your house... Cheers!
Toronto
“One of our favorites!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful experiences, great beer and the food was fantastic. my daughter and I really enjoyed the steak, my wife the salmon and my daughters the pasta. Very family friendly.
Every meal was done perfectly!!
A must stop and dine when visiting charlottetown.

• Visited July 2013

Halifax, NS
“Still great food and micro brewed beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Visited here last year on the aug long weekend and did the same this year, family of four had the fish and chips in a bag (delicious beer battered white fish, more fish than batter and mildly spiced fries), beer flavoured mussels, (good but I wished I had ordered the wine, cream and tarragon sauce), also served with a very tasty homemade biscuit ). My daughter had the pei homemade potato chips, more like think skins with cheese, green onions and two kinds of sauce for dipping. She really liked them! And my husband had the pulled pork burrito (special of the day) and fries. The pulled pork was very good, nicely sauced! We also tried their island ipa red and the Sydney street stout - both of us enjoyed the beers! This place is consistently good!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fredericksburg, Texas
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The beer selection is OK, but not extensive. We liked their lager the best. Didn't try the food... only the beers. But, people around us seemed to be enjoying their meals.

Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“It's Got it all!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I visited the Gahan on a recent trip we took for our 5th Wedding Anniversary. We had heard wonderful things about Gahan from friends that had visited the summer before. All I can say, is from our first impression to our last was memorable and we can't wait till our next visit to PEI to go back! Pretty little host at the front door, greeted us with a smile. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table, but it was busy and definitely the place to be in town. We started at the bar with Emily, who was sweet and knowledgeable about the beers, we had the sample tray, a must have! For food we had bacon wrapped scallops and potato chips to start, both amazing and we had the fish & chips as our main. Candace our server recommend everything and we were happy that she did! The staff are all gorgeous and friendly,(my husband loved that) they all work very well together as a team, As we sat back and watched them they looked like they have a lot of fun, infectious to the Guests. Overall a great experience, we will be back.

• Visited July 2013
Windsor, ON
“Lives up to Hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read about this place on here before coming to Charlottetown this week. It was one of those places I had to go to...and I'm glad I did.

It looks like a classic pub house from the outside; bricks, warm, inviting. Once you walk in, it's the same thing. The staff is fantastic; young, energetic, and professional. The food was great; I had the fish cakes with a garden salad, plus a pint of the Golden Pale Ale. Fish cakes had a great spice to them and, for $9, well worth it. The pint was great, too.

In the basement, they have their brewery. It's a bit "dungeon"y down there, but nothing serious.

If you're in the area, you need to head here.

• Visited August 2013