“Best spot in Charlottetown any time of year!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 203 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: Gahan is a name unknown in Charlottetown today, but in the middle of the 19th century, John Gahan was a prominent merchant, an importer of teas, wines, and family groceries. His place of business was on the corner of Queen and Sydney Streets, the former McIsaac building. Mr. Gahan lived next door to the shop, at 126 Sydney Street, in a wooden house he had purchased from the Brenan Estate. In 1880 he replaced that residence with the mansard-roofed brick one now at this address. It remained in Gahan ownership until the beginning of the 20th century when John Gahan’s widow, Marguerita, sold the property to Edward Kelly, the enterprising Irishman who built and owned houses all over Charlottetown. After Edward Kelly’s death in 1922, the premises became the property of the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation. The Sisters of the Precious Blood built a large addition to the house and used it as a convent until the 1960s. In the last quarter century the Gahan House had been used as a boarding house. The Gahan Brewery (formerly Murphy’s Brewing Co.) was established in March 1997 next to the Lone Star Café at 449 University Ave. Due to the increased popularity of the beer, we relocated to its current location, 126 Sydney Street, thus doubling its production capacity and giving it a permanent home in Old Charlottetown in the Gahan House. Murphy’s Brewing Co. was renamed The Gahan Brewery in November 2000 and remains the only brewery on Prince Edward Island. The Gahan House Pub opened in June 2001 and quickly became one of Charlottetown’s favourite restaurants. It’s unique and friendly atmosphere, food, and fine Ales has helped to establish The Gahan House as a destination of choice for locals and tourists alike.From our house to your house... Cheers!
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Best spot in Charlottetown any time of year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been gong to the Gahan House for years. They serve consistently well prepared food, fresh tasting and no-nonsense dishes. I think I've tried everything on the menu and it's all delicious - the goat cheese wrap and Gahan salad is probably my favorite staple item(s) from the simple menu - the Gahan burger is probably the only item I wouldnt order again. It was ok, but not what a pub burger should be - the patty was overworked (possibly frozen?) and was over-seasoned. The seafood pasta dish was excellent. The staff here are great, very knowledageble on the various types of brews and quick to make a suggeston of what will pair well with what you're ordering. This place is a must-do everytime I'm in Charlottetown!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One on my favorite brew pubs if no then my favorite.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I came accross this little gem back in or around 1997 when I made my first trip to PEI - I loved it enough I bought an ice chest and carted two growlers home by car over the two day trek back to PA in the states. When I returned in 2012 for my Honeymoon I was delighted to be able to return, and return several times. I simply love this place, its a beautiful historic home whos previous owner now is the name of the brewery.

Food is really good, never had a bad meal here, and brews are WELL worth it! For an extra treat check out the brew tour ... its not extensive but gives some great background, history and behind the scenes of the operation.

I'll be back to both the island and Gahan .... Growlers in hand

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. John's
“P.E.I Brewery with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had the house IPA, dry ribs with honey mustard sauce, a burger. Nice location, cozy, friendly, interesting building, and the only brewery on P.E.I (Is this true?).
Great service, food and beer, I recommend Gahan House. Interesting history, see the website to learn more.

Visited January 2013
MA, USA
“Great local beer, and food too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

For the house brews I thought the IPA and the Stout were the best, but those are typically my favorites.
I had chicken korma for a dinner that was pretty good and the next day had a cup of seafood chowder that was great (had lobster, scallop, fish, etc.). Also had a small variety bowl of cooked mussels which were small because it was out of season but very good (I took my cue from the the gulls that were feasting on them down at the docks).
No bangers and mash to be had though...

Visited January 2013
“Home again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Our first stop in Charlottetown from the airport everytime. Great atmosphere. Building and area fabulous.

• 4 of 5 stars Food