“very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 40 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Irvine, California, United States
“very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Carol did an outstanding job of making guests feel comfortable and welcome. Carol makes really nice scones for breakfast and eggs any way you want. We got the room with en-suite bathroom. Very spacious with new flat screen TV and good internet service. City Gardens is only 2 blocks from the water and a short drive to downtown. Met some wonderful people at the inn and shared travel stories.

Room Tip: 3 rooms share a bath and one room has its own bath.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
B.C. Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Wife and I stayed with Carol (and her husband Ron) Aug 8 - 15. We decided to stay here because 1-I knew Ron from many, many years ago; 2- it was central to what we wanted to see on The Island; and 3- we didn't want to live out of a suitcase.
We booked early, February for an August stay so we'd get the suite. Advantage - king size bed, hdtv, closet with large dresser, own bathroom with sink, toilet and shower. Other rooms were shared bathroom. There is free wifi available to all guests.
Room was kept very clean and bed made daily, even though we'd made it ourselves but they fixed it up even more. Air conditioner in one window and we needed it as it was very hot during our stay.
Breakfast - fantastic - bowl of fresh fruit, glass of orange juice, flavoured coffee (we much prefer non-flavoured and that would be one thing I'd change, freshly made cranberry scones made around 8:00 am, eggs any style, toast, cold cereal. We found this was plenty and did not eat lunch preferring to eat dinner around 4 - 5:00 pm.
On checkin you're given keys to the front door of the house plus one for your room.
We were the only "long termers" while there, most of the other guests were one or two nights max.
Carol is an excellent host and full of info on The Island, especially where to eat and where not to.
We highly recommend this b&b especially if you have the suite, don't know what the other rooms were like.

Room Tip: book the suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Carol is a really friendly, kind and lovely lady! The stuff is also nice, guests as well! The B&B has a nice dining room, a living room and a beautiful garden. The room was big enough for one person because they offered me a twin room. A clean bathroom with a big bathtub. A bit far from downtown but it's safe and nice area. It's well worth visiting again and again...!!! I'd love to come back here! Thanks so much!

• Stayed July 2012
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We asked to stay an extra night! Carol is a warm and welcoming host. As other reviewers have noted Carol bakes the worlds's best fruit scones every day for breakfast (along with yummy eggs, cereal, fruit, yogurt and toast) and serves it all with homemade jam and marmalade. It was very enjoyable to eat breakfast and chat with the other guests, with Carol joining us every morning as well.

The bedrooms were clean and bright and the bed was so comfortable that I wanted to strap it to the top of my car and take it home with me.

Any future visit to Charlottetown will find us staying at City Gardens B & B and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else looking for a home away from home.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Carol was a wonderful host who made great breakfasts. We enjoyed meeting the other guests and hearing about what to see and do. This is a great central location to spend time in Charlottetown and to day trip out to other parts of the island. You could use this as a home base for your whole trip and save packing up and moving around. We enjoyed our stay and would happily go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

The rooms were decorated so tastefully and were very clean (as well as the shared bathroom). The owner was extremely welcoming and her scones are too dye for! Best bang for your buck in Charlottetown, hands down.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I have done a lot of travelling, and have never had such incredible service!

The owner was warm and friendly and provided a delicious breakfast (amazing scones!). The rooms were incredibly comfortable and well-kept. The house and yard were pretty and quaint. The location was great--about a 1/2 hour walk to downtown, in a lovely, quiet neighborhood. And the owner was kind enough to give me and some other guests free tickets to Anne and Gilbert, the Musical--which was fantastic!

I was due to leave on the day the hurricane arrived, so I needed to leave incredibly early in the morning. When I checked out the night before I told the owner I would be leaving before 6 am, so I would not be needing breakfast and would leave the key in my room, as not to distrub her or the other guests. To my great suprise, the following morning, she was up and ready with a warm delicious breakfast for me, insisting I eat before I journeyed back to Halifax, and insisted on driving me to the bus depot (which was the only service running in the storm) and waited with me for nearly an hour to be sure the bus would actually depart! What incredible hospitality and caring!

Thanks so much for a great visit!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to City Gardens Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!