“Great local spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Big Orange Lunchbox

The Big Orange Lunchbox
77 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island +1 902-367-6677, Canada
+1 902-367-6677
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 203 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Big Orange Lunchbox is a Funky, Retro, Warm,environment. It is an open space with plenty of room for family's, large tables and events.
“Great local spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The manager is always friendly greeting me, always open to feedback. The specials are always interesting and the food is always fresh. Usually a 20-30 minute wait but I've never had a bad meal

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Charlottetown, Canada
“Great staff, great specials, great choices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I eat at the Orange Lunchbox almost twice a week, the staff are friendly and they always have great specials.

The food is consistently good and only once did I have a meal that was not up to their standards for which I was promptly reimbursed and given a free meal.

They have a great beer selection and they aren't afraid to try different things on the menu that you don't usually get at restaurants on Prince Edward Island.

I'd recommend any of their burgers or their Porky Pig grilled cheese, though everything is delicious.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Holiday Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

For a first time and not the last I went to the funky Big ORANGE Lunch Box on University Ave. It was a Sunday lunch time after the festive holidays… quiet and relaxing inside as the snow lightly fell outside. We chose to sit in one of the movable booths and were quite content with our cozy spot….nicely distanced from other guests. Our server Jason?/manager was all round excellent, very knowledgeable about the product, friendly, helpful and down to earth.

We chose to split the delicious PEI burger (garlic whipped potato, bacon, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, garlic aioli and cheddar cheese) and substituted the great fries for the LOVELY fresh salad with amazing blackberry balsamic dressing? The meat was fresh and tasted wonderful as were the trimmings…splitting it was a great idea for us. My Mom thoroughly enjoyed it and commented it was just the right amount as well. I think next time I will order a full salad on my own as it left me wanting just that little bit more. :)

It was very nice touch to see on the wall board a largely printed list of their local fresh food suppliers! On the adjacent wall there great New Year's Eve entertainment event was posted.

Finished up the meal with one of there delicious caramelized white chocolate cookies baked on site and if you are real lucky you may get a fresh one straight out of the oven!

I left with there menu in hand and will be definitely referring people to them from the Aloha!
This is a great funky local spot with great food and great service!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Consistently amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten here quite a few times, working my way through the menu- every time I'm surprised at how delicious the food tastes. I knew it would be great but it breaks my expectations every time. This place is THE place for burgers. Hands down.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stanhope, Canada
“Unexpectedly delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Decided to drop in to give this place a shot after hearing good things. We were at one of only three occupied tables, but unfortunately there was only one server on so the wait was a bit long. That said, she was very friendly and made some good suggestions about sides, etc. I got the "predator" burger with fries. It came out quickly and I was absolutely blown away. The fries on their own were spectacular - hand cut, obviously never frozen, and crisped to perfection, dipped in a house-made garlic mayo and piping hot gravy. The burger was even a cut above the fries. For any of you who celebrate PEI's annual Burger Love month, well, this burger could have easily been a top contender last year. The perfect amount of spice, delicious crunchy vegetables, and a toasted soft bun, with goat cheese that really topped the whole thing off nicely.

Overall: absolutely delicious and reasonably priced. We'll likely be back, especially if they compete in the 2014 Burger Love.

Slight complaint: the men's washroom was pretty grungy. Paint on top of paint on top of a "jack of all trades" carpentry job, and really awful blue and bright green paint. Time for a reno.