“You will want to go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great George

Save Saved
You added The Great George to your Saves list
The Great George
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   58 Great George St., Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4K3, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 25 hotels in Charlottetown
Farnham, Canada
“You will want to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is one of the best places I have been to. THe rooms are great and comfortable. The service is impeccable. The staff always have an attention for you (like cleaning your car after a snow storm, or knocking to your door after dinner to offer you a bit of chocolate) to make you feel special. A place to stay in, and to adopt.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Great George for three nights during a summer trip to the East Coast. It was a wonderful experience. The room was beautiful and spacious, the service was outstanding, and the staff were happy to recommend and make reservations for us at restaurants very close to the hotel. One drawback: the bathroom wasn't great. It didn't make good use of the large space, the shower was very small, not up the standards the room and our hotel appeared to offer, and there were almost no hooks, towel racks, very few places to hang towels, toiletry bags, robes, etc. A few inexpensive changes would make it feel more luxurious and would get a 4/5 from me.

A good breakfast was made slightly awkward by the the fact that there are no real tables, but the setting is lovely and the food was generous. Snacks available throughout the day and wine each evening is a lovely touch, although I would suggest featuring local wines given the number of tourists. It would be a great way to promote East Coast life.

We would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husbands company meets in PEI yearly and I was so excited to join him this summer with our 13 year old, after what he told me about the meeting here last year. We stayed In PEI last year, and it one of my favorite places on earth! The Georgetown could not be better located on the island, in Charlottetown, within walking distance to everything. My husband stayed here in the past and assured me, I would love it- I was so excited upon arriving, but was quickly deflated upon hearing his whole company had checked in, however our reservation (which was made by his corp. dept.) hadn't gone through - we were DEVASTED! Clearly this was a mix up, most of his company occupied all the rooms. the front desk staff were nothing short of amazing - they called another 4 star hotel within walking distance, and booked us in their best room - we were so tired from traveling, that I don't think we showed our true appreciation - that was to come the next day. While my husband was in his business meeting on site! I checked with the front desk staff about the rest of our 4 night stay. The front desk girl shyly smiled, and stated I am so sorry about what happened last night, please let me show you to your room...we walked down the street a half of block, to a free standing brownstown building, she handed me the key with instructions on how to use the keys, elevator and led us into the 2 - bedroom flat that Elton John, Regis and Kelly, and many other celebrities have used over the years - simply amazing!!!! It had a fully equipped kitchen, balcony, great views of town and made us ever forget that we were inconvenienced to begin with. Even my husbands boss wanted to come back and check out the place - but above all, I was so impressed with the style and class the front desk staff handled this obvious mishap on my husbands company's part - the ENTIRE staff of the Georgetown consistently recognized us at breakfast, asked how things were going, could they help in any way - I was utterly blown away at the level of excellent customer service in light of what could have been a tough situation! Well Done Georgetown Staff - I am only sorry it took me so many months to write this review!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here for a few days end of June and into first week of July 2012. This was the best spot we have stayed at yet. What makes this place so great is the staff. So friendly and knowledgeable. They even had a fresh plate of cookies and cold milk for my husband when we came back to our room at the end of each of our days. Very nice touch. Also we were able to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine and a couple of beers during the cocktail hour which is provided by the Inn.
Rooms were very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very nice. They also provided bagged snacks in case you were in a hurry.
I hope that we will return to Prince Edward Island one day and when we do we won't bother staying anywhere else. This is the place to be.
You will be happily surprised and thankful that you've booked your stay here.
Oh and it's close to everything downtown. Convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Our arrival coincided with the "greeting hour" and we were greeted with the aroma of freshly baked cookies and the offer of a glass of wine or ale. The staff were very professional and the room was lovely. The lobby is full of very comfortable chairs and sofas and is a great place to relax and chat. The morning breakfast was very nice. I thought the hotel was elegant but warm, friendly and quite welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Moncton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed at the Great George one night in late November 2013 with my fiance. Overall this was an excellent experience. The hotel was clean, our room was ample and lovely, and the service was fantastic. This hotel in a nutshell is all about the amenities.

Room: The hotel was not too busy and we ended up getting a free upgrade. We had a huge room on the top floor, it had a queen bed that was very comfortable, a sitting area with a fireplace, and a bear claw bathtub. We also had a Keurig coffee maker, bath robes, yoga mat, and ovation chocolates that were delivered to us.

Lobby: The lobby was nice, lots of big comfy furniture, and they did a lovely job decorating for Christmas.

Food: The free continental breakfast served in the lobby from 7-10am was delightful. They served an egg frittata dish, sausages, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, bagels, english muffins, cereal, granola and juice. Also, the freshly baked cookies in the afternoon and evening were tasty and made the lobby smell amazing.

Service: Islanders certainly pride themselves on their hospitality and this place did not disappoint. Everyone was super helpful, they even hooked me up with herbal teas in the evening at no extra charge when I went looking for some.

Parking: The hotel has it's own parking lot and there is no extra charge.

Location: Excellent downtown location.

Overall I would recommend this hotel in a hearbeat. It was cozy, clean, friendly, well maintained, and there was usually free food available.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Miramichi, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Anyone looking for a Beautiful, Elegant, Historical hotel to stay at?

I "HIGHLY" recommend "The Great George" Charlottetown PEI
My room has beautiful, featuring a large 2 person corner Jacuzzi, the most comfortable bed to sleep in.. The serve fee been and wine from 5-6pm, cookies, and breakfast.. The lobby is so relaxing with mixed new and antique furniture... to top it off... Top notch Staff, were all inviting, friendly, helpful.. I felt I was treated way above any experience before at a hotel.. Words cant express enough....
after a busy week, and month this was exactly what I needed. I will be back.....

Great place to get some R&R..

Larry Sutherland

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Great George? Share your experiences!