“Quiet, Cozy and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloha Tourist Home

Aloha Tourist Home
You added Aloha Tourist Home to your Saves list
Aloha Tourist Home
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   234 Sydney Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1H1, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 41 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
NB
“Quiet, Cozy and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

On my first trip to PEI in my lifetime, I was thrilled to meet the owner Kelti when I arrived. She is a wonderfully friendly woman and lovely to talk to as well as her sweet puppy Quincy who absolutely loves people.

The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The location is great - close to everything. The area is quiet at night and parking was never a problem even on weekdays.

When I return to Charlottetown, I look forward to seeing Kelti again!

Room Tip: Room with en suite bathroom and adjoining room is delightful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Couldn't ask for a more homely, traveller-friendly place than this. We were lucky there was a snow storm - we had an excuse to stay an extra night!

Not only that, but as the larger room was available, Keltie the proprietor gave us the choice to take it at no extra cost for the duration of our stay. The cost, incidentally, which for two people in a private room was no more expensive than two dorm beds in the HI Hostel next door (which was closed for winter, where as Aloha is open all year).

The rooms are all clean, spacious, quaint. The beds are comfortable, and it's probably fair to say there is a television in each room - a mesmerizing perk to anyone who has been on the road and staying in hostels for any amount of time.

You won't be knocking up any Cordon Bleu in the kitchen, but if it's the likes of soup, pasta, even steak you're after, then you'll be more than satisfied with the equipment on offer.

Oh, and biscuits. There are biscuits. To dunk in the free tea. Not n the free coffee, though - that's just wrong!

Keltie is knowledgeable, friendly, helpful... and she makes wonderful breakfast muffins! The type of proprietor you long to find. But the real star of the show is of course Quincy, a lovable little ball of fluffy energy that could make any visitor rush back to Aloha after a day seeing the local sights. But don't be put off if you're not a fan of dogs, however small and harmless. She'll be happy to stay downstairs in her private quarters if you ask her nicely.

Aloha was originally owned by Keltie's father, Maynard; over the years of their joint running of the place they have hosted people from all over the world... Keltie still has genuine interest in anyone who walks through her door, and greeted us with a great deal of respect and good humour. There is an ambiance that cannot be bettered of a place like Aloha, ran not so much as a business but as a conduit for new experiences, new friends, and learning new things from one another.

Lazily, it has taken me almost a year to write this review, which I intended to do as soon as I left in recognition of how much I enjoyed my stay. Testament to Aloha, and Keltie (and Quincy), that I still remember all the details and still feel as pleased with my stay there as if I HAD just left. I'll definitely go back if I'm in the area.

Driving around PEI? Free parking is available. Not driving? Well, Aloha is smack-bang central to Charlottetown, so everything is easily reached within a short walk. Worried about the noise of being in the centre of town? It's Charlottetown - there is no noise! Only you, as you snore in a deep sleep because you're so contented with your stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem as lovely as they one we stayed in. However, if you can get the one overlooking...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Keltie the landlady was friendly from the start. She upgraded my room for free and made sure I was comfortable. Breakfast was really good - cereals, toast, yogurt, raisin bread, lots of different spreads, homemade jams, and a delicious frittata! Quincey the dog is very friendly and loves cuddles. Location is great. Just a short walk downtown to the main area. Highly recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in Sep 2013. Easy walk to downtown, an ideal location.
Good food, advice &directions.
Would definitely stay there again and have recommended to friends.
Keiltie (?) & staff were lovely!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Aloha Tourist Home in Charlottetown. Spent 2 nights there. The owner was a sweetheart and made sure that we had access to our bedrooms even though she had a family emergency and wouldn't be there to greet us. Our bedrooms were clean and cozy. She provided two mornings of breakfast shared by all staying. We had fun conversations with the other guests. The location was excellent. We could park our van right outside the door and walk to everything - restaurants, shopping and to Confederation Center for Anne of Green Gables and Evangeline, both excellent productions. Kelti gave good advice about places to eat and things to see. She also called us to let us know we'd forgotten something and made sure it was easily accessible upon our return to Charlottetown. We would stay again!

Room Tip: Very handy location to waterfront and downtown area. Clean comfortable rooms and beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night, and it was alright. This B&B was in a great location, and I really liked the host- she was awesome and was great to talk to about travel tips. She was also very interested in knowing how our sleep was, which means a lot and makes a person feel more welcomed. What I didn't like was the shared bathroom, but that's just the way some of the rooms are situated and could be helped (but for one night, it wasn't a big deal). We assumed that check out was at 11am, however it was 10:30.. So when there was a knock on the door asking if we were still in it, I answered yes.. But the cleaning lady didn't leave, she preceded to look in!?!- and I was changing!? ..Which annoyed me. Other than that it was a decent stay, and had a more hostel-like feel to it.

• Stayed August 2013
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed two nights based largely on price and location but were happy for many other reasons too. Keiti is warm, charming and helpful and knows how to prepare breakfast and dispense advice. Location is an easy walk to the Confederation Center where we saw Evangeline, which was well worth seeing and many very good restaurants. My wife was somewhat concerned about the shared baths but ended up having no problem. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloha Tourist Home? Share your experiences!