“Terrible Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodd Royalty

You added Rodd Royalty to your Saves list
Rodd Royalty
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Capital Dr. | PO Box 2499, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 8C2, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Charlottetown
Victoria,TX
“Terrible Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

This hotel was rated 3.5, however, I would give it a 1. The rooms our group(3 couples) stayed in were terrible...........I had peeling spots in my bathtub, the beds were awful, and it was dark and dreary. We complained, but nothing was done. DO NOT stay here..................this is not a good Rodd property!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — General condition
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Winnipeg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

For the price you pay for one of these rooms you would think the matresses could be replaced once every 20 years or so. This hotel is dated, dirty and has not been maintained.
After a day of travelling from Halifax, my wife and I stayed at this hotel based on their website and the fact it had a 3.5 star rating with CAA. What a mistake! If we could of left, we would have. There were no other vacancies in town due to the waterfront festival that was going on.
The beds were dirty and stained and the hotel didn't even have fitted sheets to try to hide this. My wife called down to get one for piece of mind but the hotel did not use them.
An attempt was made to update the washroom. However, the brilliant designer put the toilet too far under the counter top which meant that the seat could not be left in an upright position.
The windows has bird droppings on them and the window ledges were filled with dead bugs.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE. SLEEP IN YOUR CAR IF YOU HAVE TO. IT WILL BE CLEANER AND MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — It was filthy.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

I was quite surprised of the negative comments. I have been traveling quite extensively throughout Atlantic Canada over the past 20+ years. I also stayed at many of the Rodds hotels including this one.

In comparison to many other hotel chains that I also frequented, the Royalty provides services and accomodations that compares to the best of the them.

Our family had arrived late, but yet early the following morning for a weekend sport event. Yet, they immediately provided us with an alternate room, and to our surprise, it was a beautifull completely furnished loft. My wife and kids were deligthed.

The hotel was near capacity during this weekend with sports events, University graduation & Mothers Day..Yet even our room service pizza was delivered on-time.

To top it off, we had forgotten our hotel voucher at home. Yet they granted us the discount price and trusted that we would mail them the rebate voucher upon our arrival.

Jacques C.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bancroft, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

My wife and I visited PEI with our 16 year-old son and 9 year-old daughter. I am a teacher and my wife is a medical professional.
We stayed at a little motel in Summerside for 4 nights but we booked with Rodd for their 2 night special which includes the Anne of Green Gables play, Anne of Green Gables house and the provincial park with the great beaches.
I checked tripadvisor when we arrived in PEI at the smaller motel. I was dismayed by what I read. I wanted to immediately cancel our reservation. My wife & I decided that we'd better check this place (Rodd) out for ourselves before we cancel it.
We stopped by after church on the Sunday, 3 days before our booking. The girl at the counter, Shawna, was great. She gave us a key to one of the rooms and we went to look at it. It was a very nice room. We were able to check about 10 other rooms as we went by because the cleaning ladies had them open. Every one of them was a nice size and clean!
We then went into the pool area. The slide is only open from 9-12 and then 5-9 in the evening. I checked for mold but it was sparkling clean!
When I returned the key, I asked if we could get our passes early so we could go to the park and Anne House early. No problem! We were able to do that tourist stuff a few days early without cutting into our waterslide time.
Mr. Rodd passed away a few years ago. His son took over but he passed away last year. The new manager seems to be doing a great job.
In the mornings before my family got up I would sit in a quiet lounge area. I watched the staff interact and was really impressed with the morale and the way they treated each other. Every staff member said "Hi" to me if I was looking up from my reading.
The slide: It is a great slide except too many rides too fast can make you dizzy. There is a portion in the middle which is pitch black. You don't know which way it is going to go unless you had looked at the outside of it. It was great!! Our kids were quite disappointed because we took them to the play. They wanted to stay at the pool and use the slide. (Afterwards they reluctantly admitted that they enjoyed the play.)
I also spoke to a parent who has been coming here for the past few years. He said there has never been a problem with cleanliness at the slide or in his rooms. He was very surprised to hear that there were complaints.
I hope that previous complaints weren't written by the competition but I have seen no evidence of afore mentioned problems during my stay there.
My trust in tripadvisor ratings has been greatly diminished!!

• Liked — Waterslide
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast included
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

This place was reccomended by the tourist information place for my family to stay. The check in was ok then we went to our room... it was like something out of the seventies and the decor probabaly hadn't been changed since then.. It was awful. We were tired after a long journey and with 3 young kids the last thing you want to do is pack them back in the car and find something else. my husband decide to sick it out and leave the next morning so we decide to go for a swim in their pool. It was ok but the changing cubicals were dirty and had peeling paint. We had stayed at a Quality Inn before this and it was fantastic and the same price, If I can save anyone from staying here from filling out one of these reviews then it would have been worth it, I can't say anything good about this place it needs to be shut down and have an "extreme makeover"!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2007

Well, this has to be the worst hotel i have ever stayed at, and the worst review i ever wrote. I called the hotel to find out if they had any rooms avaiable for that night, they said that they did and nowhere else in Charlottetown had vacancy (i know why now) so i went with it. The check-in went smooth, the front desk lady was friendly and helpful. She let us see 2 rooms one being a smoking room in the main hotel and a non-smoking in the motel. We opted for the smoking in the hotel because it was close to the pool, restaurant, etc. The room dident even smell like smoke. The lady at the desk took off $20.00 of the room rate because we where non-smokers in a smoking room. Nice touch. Now here is the bad stuff. Walked into the room, it is a very small room, kinda smelled like a old house. The bathroom was big but the rod in the tub for a handicapped person to hold onto while showering was loose and rusty, i would hate for somebody who had a handicap and used the shower and fell because of it not being securly fastened. The bathtub had mould spots all over, I refused to shower, having to use my friend's shower. The room was a little dirty, bed was poorly made. Now, on to the pool. This is the most disgusting pool area i have ever seen and it should be shut down. My son wanted to check out the pool once we brought our luggage to our room. We went in and we found it ok so we returned later at night for a swim because the waterslide was closed. We came back, got in the pool, was fine untill i decided to go down the waterslide with my son. As i was walking up the stairs to the pool, i couldent help but notice all the mould on the stairways and on the inside of the slide. I mean this just was not just a little bit of mould that they could eaisly clean up, this was there and building up for awhile. Also, the pool rules on the door were peeled off, not a major thing but safty comes first, espicially with young children, which the hotel was full of. After the Mould on the slide, we got out of the pool and went to get changed. We entered the change room off the pool to find feces on the floor! I thought I saw the worst with the mould! By then, i was very mad with this hotel. It attracts young kids and their faimilies by "PEI's Largest Waterslide". If they are going to do that, at least keep it clean and not a health hazard. I was scared that me, my wife and son dident catch anything from the hotel. Beleve me, i dident sleep well that night. Check out was good, I did bring up the mould to the lady at reception and she said that i would have to call mantance but they were not in till Monday. We left, glad to be away from the health hazard of PEI. Prince Edward Island is a beautiful place, Charlottown is a beautiful place, dont stay at this hotel and ruin the PEI experience for yourselves.

Shane Campbell

• Liked — Staff was nice
  • Disliked — The mouldy pool, rooms, price of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Moncton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

Big disappointment from last year's Jack Frost Festival. Kids no longer eat free so it cost alot more. The breakfast buffet was horrible. There was only eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and 4 cereals for $6. I paid $12 for my two kids to each have a bowl of cereal and a glass of apple juice. It was even bad for adults. Where was the fruit, muffins, homefries, or toast? And no juice cups. My kids spilled their wine glasses twice before I traded them in for coffee mugs. I gave an awesome report for this hotel last year, but now I might try a different hotel for next years festival.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — hotel services - pool attendents, breakfast attendents
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rodd Royalty? Share your experiences!