“Wonderful Inn, Great Staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dundee Arms Inn

You added Dundee Arms Inn to your Saves list
Dundee Arms Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Pownal Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 3W8, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Charlottetown
Ottawa
“Wonderful Inn, Great Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the inn for 5 nights (in the annex) during the last leg of our East Coast vacation. The room was very comfortable, clean, decor modern and had a great sized bathroom and large shower. The staff at the Inn from check in to check out was fantastic - very helpfull and friendly.
The Inn is ideal for a romantic couple getaway and is located in a great part of town. Walking disctance from restaurants, waterfront, museums, etc.
We ate at the restaurant twice, breakfast and lunch. The breakfast was good, however the lunch was wonderful and were very pleased to have taken the time to stop in at least once during our trip.
Will definitely stay again when we return to Charlottetown!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Saint Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

If you have a family vacation, I do not recommend.

1. Uncomfortable area
My family has arrived at Dundee Arms Inn on Friday. It was very crowded for restaurant and music sound was loud (there is a country singer every friday until 10pm). Inn is located just besides restaurant very closely. Can you guess how noisy were there?
Just one staff was there. So, restaurant pay line was long....at that time I was very tired but I had to line up for checking in. very uncomfortable...
And they have no elevator so I had to carry my luggage to my room by myself.

2. They were not ready for welcoming customer
there was no oulet around coffe port. I had to move it other area... even staff didn't know about it. Frustrating situation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Loved the location, walking distance to everything you want to see and do in the downtown area. Very clean room, we stayed in the modern annex area, nice decor. I enjoyed the Aveda and organic shower products. Staff were very friendly. My only suggestion on to get an even better review- I would have loved a complimentary continental breakfast to start off our day (not available during peak season.)

• Stayed July 2013
Kentville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a 2 day conference on July 2 and 3 in Charlottetown and found that the Dundee was a great location to be close to what we needed. We initially booked a room in the Annex for 2 nights as it appeared more modern. After we realized where the room was (located on ground floor next to kitchen) we asked to be moved as we wanted at least a little privacy and we are light sleepers. (Looking out the only window and watching people chew food in front of us on the deck didn't appeal to us.) We were given a room on the second floor in the Inn. We appreciated that they could accommodate our last minute request. The Inn is lovely and historic. The rooms however, could use some freshening up.
THE ROOM: Adequate, clean and had a lovely Jacuzzi tub. A nice end to a tiring day. The awful part was the noise above us. The guest upstairs were up very early in the morning (3:50 am) and did not attempt at all to be quiet. Stomping, showering, banging constantly. We called the front desk repeatedly but could not find anybody to help us. My husband had to knock on the guest door above not once, but twice. The travellers spoke little English so the process was very frustrating. I lost a lot of sleep which was disappointing as I had to be up early each morning.
THE FOOD: We ate there only once. We read on the website prior to booking that breakfast was included. When we arrived we were told we missed the fine print that said it was only included until mid June. The reason given was so they could accommodate the public during the high season. I didn't understand that. But we ate breakfast there anyway on our first morning and were very disappointed. We weren't expecting a lot either. So, that was our only meal there.

Wonderful location with lots of opportunities to improve. :)

Room Tip: If you stay in the Annex get a top floor room! Or else bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dundee I, Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am really sorry about the guests whom stayed in the room above you. It is a practice of our Inn to let all guests know if they are leaving early to try and be as quiet as possible as other guests are sleeping. I too would be annoyed if this were to happen to me while staying in a hotel.

I am not sure where you read on the website that breakfast was included in the rate as I have been very vigilant in making sure that all of my websites that I an affiliated with, state that breakfast is not included in the rate. We do include breakfast for our guests during the low season, however, it is a deluxe continental and not a full breakfast menu. I understood that my Assistant Manager did give you breakfast on the house the next morning. I am really sorry that you did not enjoy the free breakfast. We have a very popular breakfast menu that is well received by our local people and we do receive raving reviews on our food.

I am also sorry that I was not being here during your departure as it was my day off. however. I would like to do something for you for the lack of sleep and the stress the guests above you
caused. If you could contact me by my email which is located on my trip advisor page. I would love to hear from you. Once again I am sorry for you lack of sleep. Pat Sands
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Dundee Arms Inn is a gorgeous historical inn in Charlottetown with fantastic rooms and a top-notch restaurant. It is located within walking distance of the Charlottetown historic downtown and waterfront. The only deficient item that I found that was that the Wifi did not work consistently - but a very minor issue in an otherwise perfect stay. What a room! Stunning!

Room Tip: If you are couple looking for a romantic location, the Dundee Arms Inn is perfect - particularly the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dundee I, General Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. Sorry about the wireless internet. We did find that another guest had unplugged one of the wireless connections which took out all of the floor you were staying on. It has since been fixed.

I am happy that you enjoyed Prince Edward Island and we would love to welcome you back at any time.

Have a great weekend and all the best in your future trips.

Pat Sands
Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the inn, we had a room in the annex which was far more modern then the traditional Inn. I really enjoyed the products (Aveda) and the beds were very comfortable. The AC unit was loud, but cold. The location of the Inn was great and really close to restaurants and shopping. We were there for Big Red Fest and it was about a 20 mins walk. Only complaint was the long wait at the restaurant for food. But it was tasty.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry about the wait for food as it was busy in the restaurant and Lounge.We hope to see you in the future.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the Summer.

Pat Sands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here on the basis of TripAdvisor recommendations. Also based on those recommendations, we requested a room in the annex. What a mistake. The room was right outside the kitchen of the main inn, so we could hear the constant noise of the restaurant fan. The room, while nicely appointed, had a tiny window that faced the main walkway from the main guest parking lot. This meant zero privacy and, due to the location and noise of the restaurant fan, we could not open the window at night, lending the room a cave-like feel. The inn's breakfast was very expensive and was not included in the cost of the room ($10 oatmeal anyone?), nor was there fresh coffee available for guests in the morning. Given the number of attractive historic inns in Charlottetown, one can do much better (and probably cheaper) elsewhere. Lastly, a note for anyone booking this inn through Booking.com: be aware of additional taxes not shown clearly in the room rates. (Booking.com does provide notice, but in the 'small print' of the rates not including taxes.) Taxes bumped our cost up by about $30 per night for the Dundee Arms; really not worth it.

Room Tip: Ground floors in annex have no privacy and are noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate all reviews whether they are negative or positive. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry regarding the fan. Some people do not hear it all ,however, if you are sensitive to noise it will bother you. If I had been aware of this problem I would have been mote than happy to accommodate you in a another room on the lower level away from the fan. Guests need to express their concerns with us during their stay as we cannot fix your concerns after you depart the hotel.

I am not sure where you were charged $10.95 for your porridge. I looked at your restaurant bill and our porridge is $6.95 which includes toast. This to me is very reasonable. You also had coffee/tea plus taxes which came to $10.95.

The taxes are the same everywhere on Price Edward Island. I wish I had some control over the taxes, unfortunately I do not. I also do not have control over the website that you reserved your accommodations with, and unfortunately I cannot control how they do their set up. I will mention it to them in hopes that their wording is more visible.

If we had been aware at check out that you did not enjoy your stay I would have been more than happy to try and make it up to you. I strongly believe that when people are visiting or staying with us that they should enjoy their stay. A happy guest is very important to me and my staff.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your vacation. Have a great weekend. Pat Sands.

Been to Dundee Arms Inn? Share your experiences!