“Outdated and gross” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Charlottetown

You added BEST WESTERN Charlottetown to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Charlottetown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   238 Grafton Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1L5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Charlottetown
“Outdated and gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

So far the most expensive BW we've stayed at while visiting the maritimes. Unfortunately the price does not reflect a place worthy of it. Our air conditioning didn't work and the reason was evident when you looked up at the ceiling at the filter and it was clogged with so much dirt that you couldn't see filter. The tub had a plug in it that when pushed down wouldn't come back up so we had to shower in our families adjoining room after it got accidentally pushed down. The bathroom hadn't been thoroughly cleaned which was obvious when I moved the little stand that the toiletries were on and someone's belongings were still under it. We are sure wishing we had checked trip-advisor prior to checking in because there's no way we would have stayed here after reading prior comments.

• Stayed July 2013
Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I am truly sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping manager and we looking in to the comments you have made. We do change our filters in the HVAC system quarterly and I will share your comments with the maintenance supervisor to ensure we check out your observations. Thank you for sharing your experience as this does help us improve our service moving forward. I hope you will give us another chance to meet our exceed your expectations in the future.
Wayne Cotton, AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just getting back from spending 4 days at The Best Western, Charlottetown. Had a nice stay. Went with a baseball team for the weekend. Rooms were nice, very clean. Had a block of rooms accross the street in their overflow building. They also provided the team a room in the basement where the kids could play. The pool was nice kids really enjoyed their swims, but the pool room itself was very hot, need air-conditioning in the pool area. Breakfast was included, choice of different cereals, pastries, sausages, toast, juices and coffee. (Eggs, fake omletes with some... whatever inside - stay away from, but on one day they did have hard boiled eggs.) Breakfast room very small for weekend flow. Took the kids a few blocks away for supper and the Olde Dublin Pub - great meal, worth tyring out also has live entertainment after 10.
I would rate it a 3 1/2 not really a 4.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is nice to see your team enjoyed the hospitality room. I am glad that you enjoyed some breakfast offerings. This is why we offer many items, because we know not everyone likes everything we offer. I do hope we will see you, and possibly your team, again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Our room was in the main building, street level, with free parking just outside the entrance to our room. Everything in the room was fine and the breakfast was OK. We consider the location to be excellent since we walked to the theater, waterfront, restaurants, and church with ease. Different strokes for different folks......

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I feel you have summed up our hotel very nicely. Yes we are a downtown hotel close to many attractions. Yes we offer free parking, free wi-fi, free hot breakfast. We are not for everyone, as you stated, but if you would like to be within walking distance of all of Charlottetown's downtown offerings, than we are that hotel.
Charlottetown, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

On a trip to Prince Edward Island from Ottawa we decided to only stay in Best Western hotels and were very pleased until we got to the Charlottetown one. The same cost as the others, it was a lot lower quality.
The room smelt damp and there was an unpleasant odour at the toilet. The room was very large but also dark and lights had to be on all the time. Both carpet and chairs appeared stained and worn, were both dark coloured adding to the unfortunate effect.

The beds were comfortable,decent tvs and plenty of towels so I might not have written this review, my first, if not for the horrible breakfast experience. There were not enough tables in the main area, but there were others in the attached arcade area. Instead of closing the games during the breakfast period, noisy children and machines ruined our digestion. Having had breakfasts in other BW hotels this trip I would comment that the peeled eggs were sitting in stagnant water, there were no bananas, no muffins, and packets of butter were not under refrigeration. Yuk! Was my overall impression. I had cereal and an apple which had not been washed as the label was still pristine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to start by apologizing for not meeting your expectations. I am pleased that you enjoyed our beds, TV and the amenities. I am sorry that you arrived at breakfast during a busy time and ate your breakfast in our games room. Yes we do let the kids play all day, as this was normally considered a positive for those guests with children. We do change our breakfast offerings so as not to have the same thing day after day. With no muffins, you would have had an offering of multiple flavoured danishes. I do hope you will visit us again to allow us to better meet or exceed you're expectations.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

even though we booked 4 months in advance, we were given a room in the basement,
convention in town filled the place. the room smelled,{we bought air freshener to make it bearable} dehumidifier ran non stop.
should be told if there are rooms below grade, even the breakfast room was in the basement,breakfast was included but mediocre
we got a reduced rate but even if it was free it wouldn't be worth it
we had BW gift cards for payment otherwise we would have gone elsewhere.
wrote to the manager when we got home only got an apology...really,just won't be able to trust BestWestern again......

Room Tip: really, even the rooms above ground were not great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to comment on his/her stay at our hotel.
We do indeed offer guest rooms in the lower level of the hotel which typically come with a slightly lower rate than other types of accommodation in the hotel. The rooms have full windows overlooking the back of the hotel green space. I am truly sorry that you did not fine these guest rooms to your satisfaction however during the high tourist season we do require all inventory to meet demand. The breakfast room is fully refurbished offering a free hot breakfast which many of our guests seem to enjoy.
It is my hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and I encourage you to specify your desired room type when making the reservation.
Thank you.
Walter van Beek
Cambridge, Cameroon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I would definitely look around for other hotels, this hotel was out dated, rooms were damp and dark, I had a really old dehumidifier in my room that I had to turn on every day. The full breakfast consisted of cold french toast, hard boiled eggs and mushy sausage - same every single day. Shower was cold no matter what time of day I tried to shower. House keeping was quick though which was good and the internet service was fast and reliable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Michelle I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our property. Through feedback such as yours, we can work to improve our service. I am sorry you did not enjoy our breakfast offerings. We do try to rotate between several different egg products, scrambled eggs, egg wraps, omelets both cheese and western. I do hope we will have the opportunity to have you visit us again in the future to allow us to exceed your expectations next time.
Wayne Cotton,AGM
Shawville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My accessible room was a disappointment. We had to request a cot because they dont have any rooms with a walk in shower and 2 beds. One of the air intake fans was rumbling non stop. We had to request they take wafles and chairs out so that my wheelchair could fit in the room with the cot.. Bathroom was unsafe!! Toilet is not raised it ia not secured to the floor very well because it wobbles. No grab bars around the toilet. The bathroom tile floor is crazy slippy when just humid let alone covered in water. I had to cover the floor in wet towels to get out of the bathroom they should put anti slip strips. the water temp in the shower fluctuated alot. And the lower shower head holder was broken.

• Stayed July 2013
I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to share your feedback. This is a valuable way for us to better serve our guests. I have informed our maintenance supervisor of your concerns and these will be looked into immediately. We have recently received, from the PEI Accessibilty Board, compliments on our accessible rooms. However your feedback will allow us to improve even further on our service and I thank you for doing that for us.
Wayne Cotton,AGM

Been to BEST WESTERN Charlottetown? Share your experiences!