“Tired, dirty and quite disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Charlottetown

You added BEST WESTERN Charlottetown to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Charlottetown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   238 Grafton Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1L5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Charlottetown
Ottawa, Canada
“Tired, dirty and quite disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel has friendly front desk staff - but the charm ends there. Filthy bathroom (shower vent is crazy dirty); tired set-up and not private. This hotel is so tired/outdated that it seems dirtier than it really is. I would not stay here again and would recommend that anyone visiting Charlottetown avoid this Best Western. I had to keep curtains closed otherwise guests walking in the hallway could see into my room - bizarre!! Colour scheme is depressing and dirty looking (yellow textured wallpaper was reminiscent of smoking - but I am pretty sure that this is a non-smoking room)..The noise level is a bit high, the view out of my bathroom is of a badly maintained roof (consistent with the feel of the buildings). Breakfast was so bad I went RUNNING for a Tim Horton's...vending machines broken. I was here for work during the early fall (off-season for this hotel) and will not even consider staying here. Cleaning staff are also rude and sub-standard. Hopefully this company takes notice, otherwise, I could see this hotel failing.

Room Tip: No room service.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I thank this guest for sharing some of the negative aspects of his/her stay.
We can learn from all feedback and although I can not change the layout of the hotel I will certainly address those shortcomings that fall under our control with my team and do all possible to address the deficiencies.
The wall vinyl was recently placed in the guest rooms and the sandy colour was selected to match the rest of the overall room decor. Full renovations of the property were completed in 2011.
I am disappointed that our full offering of a free hotbreakfast did not meet with your expectations however I will do all possible to monitor the quality and variety of this important feature.
Walter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Delta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently stayed at the Best Western, in Charlottetown, P.E.I, it was not a good experience at all. I have stayed at the Best Western in other cities, provinces and never found them to be this bad.
Upon check in we were not greeted in a friendly manner by the person at the desk.
Our first warm breakfast, was not what one would imagine. The eggs were bland and they were serving what looked like a crepe, but was drenched in oil.
Our room was located on a floor that we think may have had families living in the rooms, as it was very noisy for the most part of our stay.

For the week that we were there, we only had our room cleaned twice.
Upon Checkout the girl at the counter was very helpful and friendly. Only good thing to say about our stay.
I usually don't have a complaint towards hotels where I stay but this time, I felt I had to make a comment. I am hoping that the staff can find ways to improve. Otherwise, Charlottetown is a very beautiful place to visit, just rethink the hotel where you stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed one night in the September. Location is excellent. Room was Ok for cleanliness. Staff at front desk were courteous and helpful.

However, it was like there was absolutely no sound proofing between rooms. Could clearly hear every word the families on either side of our room said. We might as well have been involved in their conversations! Luckily they were both families so they were not up all night.

Beds could do with updating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to comment on their stay. I am truly sorry that you were disturbed by noise eminating from the room next door. Yes, we do offer a variety of guest rooms including rooms with connecting doors which are in great demand by travelling families. I don't know if you asked for a room change during your stay as this may have addressed your concerns.
Please accept my apologies and I do hope that you will give us another try at a future visit to our island.
Walter van Beek
GM
New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This Best Western is very good place to stay when in Charlottetown.We stay here a few times a year...The customer service is GREAT....they will help you in any way they can...Great job guys....tks Ed & Karen Hambly

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay. I will ensure to share your feedabck with my team.
We are receiving wonderful comments on the refurbishment of the hotel including completely renovated guest rooms with new pillow top beds, flat screen 37 inch televisions, granite countertop bathrooms, new window tratments and carpets.
I am very proud of our hotel team which consistently offer island hospitality to our valued guests.
We look forward to hosting you on a future vist.
Truro, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travel very often for business and I am a dedicated BW platinum member; I've stayed here numerous times. The staff is excellent and I have never had any issues with cleanliness as other have stated. Can't beat the location. Rates fluctuate way too much. While planning my last visit I was shocked to see a rate of $189- How could I pay this when I've payed 139 for the same rooms (or expense this to work!)? I went to the Holiday Inn (much more reasonably priced).... and I'm going to have a hard time justifying staying here at the BW now :( Rooms were more updated and the breakfast was fantastic! The breakfast, at the BW, is probably the most disappointing thing here- good luck if you want to eat remotely healthy and stay full for the morning. The new "hot menu" is crap that's been microwaved, fruit isn't fresh and there isn't a very good variety of cereals (just the sugary stuff).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for sharing your feedback with me.
You are a valued Platinum Best Western guest and I take your comments very seriously. I would like to thank you for your kind comments on the hotel staff and the guest room experience. Our recent renovations are receiving tremendous feedback from fellow travellers.
Our rates in the two peak summer months are cerainly higher than in the rest of the year however this applies to all downtown hotels in Charlottetown. I am not in a position to comment on the rates of a competitor however the one you mention is located on the highway in the outskirts of town and their rate may very well have been lower during that time. I hope you understand that a downtown location in the hub of the tourist venues may at times be higher priced, especially during the busy tourist season.
I am somewhat puzzled over your breakfast observations: we offer freshlyy prepared srambled eggs ( not microwaved), a variety of omelettes with sausage and or bacon, 4 types of cereals including corn flakes and bran and two types of fresh fruit daily.
Your input is very important to me and I invite you to send me additional suggestions to me at: wvanbeek@silverbirchhotels.com. I always learn from guest comments and it allows me to continuously update our product offering.
Mississauga, ON, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I just got back from this hotel 2 days ago, after booking despite seeing some of the less than exceptional reviews. Honestly I'm not sure what other travelers experienced but I found this place to be great. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, beds were comfy everything worked properly and best of all they let us check out a few hours late without charge.

Clean pool as well and a surprisingly good gym for a small hotel. The breakfast may have been a bit of a let down but not really less than what you'd expect for a free hotel breakfast.

While the place wasn't perfect I definitely think these reviews aren't reflective of my experience and think it would be worth travellers' time to give this place a try. I guess it's true that angry customers are the most likely to review a company:p

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western in Charlottetown in July for 3 nights. We had to stay in the Conference Centre across the street, where there was one really slow elevator. Our room was clean, though had not been redecorated since the 80's. Breakfast was the biggest letdown, with limited edible choices.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Charlottetown? Share your experiences!