“Hard to justify staying now...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Charlottetown

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Charlottetown to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Charlottetown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   238 Grafton Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1L5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #19 of 25 hotels in Charlottetown
Truro, Canada
“Hard to justify staying now...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travel very often for business and I am a dedicated BW platinum member; I've stayed here numerous times. The staff is excellent and I have never had any issues with cleanliness as other have stated. Can't beat the location. Rates fluctuate way too much. While planning my last visit I was shocked to see a rate of $189- How could I pay this when I've payed 139 for the same rooms (or expense this to work!)? I went to the Holiday Inn (much more reasonably priced).... and I'm going to have a hard time justifying staying here at the BW now :( Rooms were more updated and the breakfast was fantastic! The breakfast, at the BW, is probably the most disappointing thing here- good luck if you want to eat remotely healthy and stay full for the morning. The new "hot menu" is crap that's been microwaved, fruit isn't fresh and there isn't a very good variety of cereals (just the sugary stuff).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with me.
You are a valued Platinum Best Western guest and I take your comments very seriously. I would like to thank you for your kind comments on the hotel staff and the guest room experience. Our recent renovations are receiving tremendous feedback from fellow travellers.
Our rates in the two peak summer months are cerainly higher than in the rest of the year however this applies to all downtown hotels in Charlottetown. I am not in a position to comment on the rates of a competitor however the one you mention is located on the highway in the outskirts of town and their rate may very well have been lower during that time. I hope you understand that a downtown location in the hub of the tourist venues may at times be higher priced, especially during the busy tourist season.
I am somewhat puzzled over your breakfast observations: we offer freshlyy prepared srambled eggs ( not microwaved), a variety of omelettes with sausage and or bacon, 4 types of cereals including corn flakes and bran and two types of fresh fruit daily.
Your input is very important to me and I invite you to send me additional suggestions to me at: wvanbeek@silverbirchhotels.com. I always learn from guest comments and it allows me to continuously update our product offering.
Walter

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mississauga, ON, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I just got back from this hotel 2 days ago, after booking despite seeing some of the less than exceptional reviews. Honestly I'm not sure what other travelers experienced but I found this place to be great. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, beds were comfy everything worked properly and best of all they let us check out a few hours late without charge.

Clean pool as well and a surprisingly good gym for a small hotel. The breakfast may have been a bit of a let down but not really less than what you'd expect for a free hotel breakfast.

While the place wasn't perfect I definitely think these reviews aren't reflective of my experience and think it would be worth travellers' time to give this place a try. I guess it's true that angry customers are the most likely to review a company:p

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western in Charlottetown in July for 3 nights. We had to stay in the Conference Centre across the street, where there was one really slow elevator. Our room was clean, though had not been redecorated since the 80's. Breakfast was the biggest letdown, with limited edible choices.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

After taking nearly 20 minutes to be checked in, as their was only one clerk on duty at a very busy time, we finally got to our room to find that the sofa bed hadn't been changed from the previous occupants. Then we found that the microwave, coffee table and sink were filthy with grime and foodstuffs, and the freezer of the fridge completely iced up. The poor clerk on reception then turned housekeeper to remedy our problems, with linen for the sofa bed, and a quick clean up, with an even longer queue then developing in reception. To their credit, they did give us a 20% credit on the first of our two night stay.

The "free" breakfast was OK, but we found it more continental than "hot" as the scrambled eggs on offer were pretty basic. No restaurant on site, but in a good central location with plenty of nearby restaurants to choose from within walking distance.

As this was one of the more expensive hotels that we have stayed at during our current trip, we expected a lot more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a great time in Prince Edward Island and the Best Western in Charlottetown was a great hotel to stay in.We had a huge room with a fridge and kitchen area.We stayed in the annex of the hotel.We enjoyed the complimentary buffet breakfast and having a relaxing swim in the pool after our long journey.The reception staff of the hotel were very helpful.We would definitely stay at this hotel again,we even joined their rewards programme!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Prince Edward Island was the first stop on our family vacation this year and we decided to stay at the Best Western. We had a great stay at the Best Western Charlottetown. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The customer service was excellent and the hot breakfast was a great way to start our day. It was a great start to a great vcation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This Best Western is very good!
To start, great customer service. We were expected to arrive on a Thursday but good old Air Canada let us down with a lay over in Montreal from T.O. Enough said!
This being our situation we called the hotel to inform them that we would arrive on Friday and they graciously did not charge us for the Thursday! Thank You! Great customer service.
The staff at the front desk, Wow! Very helpful with getting us a fridge, and all the secrets to local places to see. A special shout out to Tracey, who is always smiling and helpful with any question.
Our room was always very well cleaned and cared for.
The property is well kept and laid out. There are two buildings with a connecting tunnel underground.
We stayed in the north building, called Conference Center. Room #161 on the first floor close to the lobby. Nice room and enjoyed being able to open the window for some fresh air.
Lots of parking.
We had a late flight out on Monday and tried to extend our room. This is possible to do but because of a full house reservation, it was not possible for us.
However, they did offer to store our luggage for the day while we toured the island and allowed us to return for the use of the pool locker room and shower. Good customer service.
Breakfast: What can I say, very nice spread! Coffee, tea, juice, cereal, toast, muffins, eggs, crepes, sausage and yogurt.
We were here for the National Youth Track and Field Championships, so there were lots of hungry teens and not once a problem with the quality/quantity of the food or friendliness of staff.
Location: Walking distance to many food and drink spots! 5-8 minutes walk downtown.
We will definitely return when we visit Charlottetown in the future!
Go and enjoy!
Thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Charlottetown? Share your experiences!