“very nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Province House National Historic Site of Canada

Province House National Historic Site of Canada
Corner of Univeristy Ave and Grafton St, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 5V8, Canada
902-566-7626
Website
Update attraction details
Type: Architectural Buildings
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The birthplace of Confederation and the seat of PEI's provincial legislature since 1847, Province House National Historic Site is Charlottetown's most significant cultural landmark. Walk in the footsteps of the Fathers of Confederation as you learn about the history of this magnificent example of neo-classical architecture and see how it remains a centre of political life for Islanders today.
b.c.
3 attraction reviews
“very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The location is right downtown, lots of pay parking about..
They have a movie.. which you should watch..
makes one proud to be Canadian..
lovely old building.. lots of history here..

Souris, Canada
“Must be visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I really enjoyed the movie... Good explanations about our story.. It's a short visit, good for children and nice to see old pictures and things from 100 years ago!!!

Visited August 2012
nj
56 attraction reviews
“now I know why there is Canada!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I give this a 4 only because the building is very plain, but inside the chambers are nicely appointed, and the peoople are informative and friendly. Being "American" I never wondered why Canada is, and about our similarities and differences. The history in this building explains it and stimulated my brain

Stoneham, Massachusetts
83 attraction reviews
“I love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have been coming to Prince Edward Island every year since 1998. One of the first things we like to do every year is visit Province House. . Although this year we had to wait until our second visit to town on Tuesday, since it is no longer open on weekends. There is no charge to visit. You visit at your own pace. There are guides to answer your questions. The first thing you must do before visiting the building is watch the 17 minute movie wonderfully narrated by Laurier LaPierre. I love this movie. Some years I make more than one visit to this building just to see the movie again. I am not Canadian, but after viewing this movie, I always very proud of my country's neighbor to the North.

Everybody, but certainly every Canadian, should visit this building and "walk the same halls" as did John A. Macdonald, George-Etienne Cartier, and the other founders of Canada as they had the first debates that lead to the formation of Canada. It is wonderful to see the room where these debates took place. You can also view the beautiful library, the clerk's office and the chamber where the Prince Edward Island legislature still meets. There are also a couple of rooms with picture and displays to read. At the end you might want to see the movie again and/or visit the gift shop.

Dundas, Canada
“Confederation Beginnings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We enjoyed the brief film that gave a historical overview of the meeting between the politicians that provided the groundwork in establishing our country.