“Stay Somewhere Else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast

Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlottetown
Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast
You added Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
236 Sydney Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1H1, Canada   |
Ranked #27 of 42 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Saskatchewan
“Stay Somewhere Else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

This home is handy to many attractions. The problem is that it is very unkept and cluttered. The steps to the bedrooms are very steep. The bathroom is very small and it is difficult to share such limited space. The breakfasts were adequate and basic. Parking is not always available. I will choose somewhere else on my next visit to Charlottetown.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
scottishlass42, Owner at Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 6, 2011
Regular guests who know Heart's Content were amazed by this posting as the comments are so negative. This guest's review does not mention that I did not charge her for one of the three nights she stayed.There were extenuating circumstances surrounding this her arrival as my first one of the season. My opening dates are traditionally mid to late May but I accepted this booking for the first few days of the month as I usually I have several weeks to get the house in shape. On this occasion and to my great surprise, my winter residents insisted on remaining till April 30th. I considered phoning to cancel the reservation but shied away from disappointing someone who seemed very keen to stay with me, based on previous reviews!
I did have the room ready and most of the property in order when they came but there was a certain amount of disorder in the house because a bathroom was being replaced.
I apologised profusely for any irritation this might be causing them and reduced the price of their stay.
My place is advertised as 1864 Victorian and when I heard this guest was bringing her mother with her, as I always do in these cases (at the risk of offending sprightly seniors), I alerted her immediately about the stairs. Guests rave about the breakfasts at Heart's Content and the room diaries are bulging with wonderful comments about how people love being here and want to come back. These were the only guests on site at the time-I was just gearing up for serving breakfast and was not quite at the peak of my form. It saddens me that no mention of discontent was made to me personally on the spot as I bent over backwards to compensate for the less than perfect state of things. Most of the time guests have no problem parking on the street near the house and I gladly move my own car to accommodate them.
A glance at the record of this traveller's postings shows her preference for high end accommodations where costs may be covered by the work she is involved in, and a personal choice of budget establishments and hostels when vacationing - so the expectations should change. In this case I gave 2 people bed and breakfast in a prime location for $20 each per night which is in tune with my customary generous nature. In spite of this review I had the best year ever at the B and B and hope to welcome just as many visitors this summer who will leave with their hearts content.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Addison, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

Perfect for our purposes. We needed overnight accommodation in Charlottetown, close to the historict district. This was a bargain, and Joan is a dear lady!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Lethbridge, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Had a wonderful time at Heart's Content in Charlottetown, close to absolutely everything worth doing in town. The accommodations are very comfie and Joan makes everyone feel right at home with her fabulous breakfasts and genuine Scottish hospitality. She is also very helpful with folks wanting to know what to do and how to get there! My room was huge and beautifully decorated with a Victorian flair (and the bed was super comfortable). Joan's home as well, on the exterior, is very inviting, with its smart white clapboard siding and smart black trimmed windows and doors. The garden in the back as well is gorgeous and guests are invited to set out. Without doubt, Joan's Heart's Content B & B is the best deal to be found in the Maritimes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My host greeted me upon arrival and showed me around the home. The home is pleasing from the outside. It is across from a park. 3 or 4 blocks (5-8min) from the waterfront and all the action. The location was perfect. My room was mid-sized with a daybed. The bed was a full or queen and very comfortable. Breakfast which was continental was served promptly at 8am. Breakfast included muffins, scones, cereal or oatmeal, toast , jelly or jam and tea or coffee and or juice.

There were 2 rooms on my side of the house with a shared bath, and 2 rooms on the other side. The tub was huge. A challenge at first going in and out. But OK after the initial trial. I came and left out freely being mindful of my noise level. The floors creek when walking-- so, step lightly. There is a day room / TV room on the first level with cable. A kitchen with microwave for the guest to use. A quaint home with embroidery and mementos everywhere.

This was my first experience with a bed and breakfast, and I was not disappointed. My host was very accommodating . My experience was memorable...The only thing I would change is having a private bath. I felt safe in PEI and at the B&B. I was given 2 keys (bedroom and house) and freedom to come and go. I would recommend this place to anyone, old and young.

A good location to eat is at the corner of Water and Prince street ($), which is the name of the restaurant. The locals and tourist eat there. Plus the price is reasonable. Gahan ($-$$), Fishbone's ($-$$) and Sims($$-$$$) are also a great places to eat .

Yes, I plan on returning to PEI and Heart's Content B&B.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
scottishlass42, Owner at Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
In prime downtown locations like mine, the price of a room with private bath starts at $100 a night and goes up. The cost for this guest in a room with a queen size bed and bathroom shared with one couple across the hall (who had their own vanity in the room) was $50 (CAN) per night, breakfast included. I am happy to offer private bath to guests willing to pay more.
Okanagan/BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Heart's Content is truely a part of Charlottetown's history. At 149 years old it still has all the comforts of home. With mostly period furnishing you feel you may have stepped back in time. Heart's Content is comfy and has a great location. We did find the bathroom a bit tight. My husband is 6'4" and found it awkward, but it still did the trick. The outside appearance had yet to receive its spring blooms, so was a bit scary on first impression. But what it lacked in beauty, Joan made up in conversation. Joan is a sweetheart, always a cheery hello or good morning even when under the weather.

Thank you again Joan.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Prince George
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

What to say about Hearts Content?
Firstly, Joan is the sweetest most wonderfully kindhearted person ever!

My boyfriend and I stayed at this B&B mostly because it was close to many activities and because you couldn't get a better price then the one she offered.

Joan and I bonded almost instantly over numerous emails before we even checked in. She is very helpful in giving ideas as to tour groups or services, what to do and where to go, and especially renting a car.

We decided that with our rented car we would tour the entire island breaking it up into three days. Each day before we headed out Joan told us on the map the special little places to go and what to do.

The breakfast in the morning was absolutely wonderful! The scones are amazing!

Joan takes wonderful care of her garden in the backyard which offers plenty of sitting space to sit and relax with a good book.

I especially loved the little poems she wrote and left around the place to let us know about cleaning up the bathroom after you use it, the funny light switch etc.

I cannot say enough about the amazing beauty of this B&B and Joan!

• Liked — Joan and her Scones!
  • Disliked — Having to leave! (All of us were a little teary eyed)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

A friend and I stayed at Joan's B&B on Aug. 17th & 18th of this year and loved every minute of our stay there. The rooms were Victorian in style, clean, large and comfortable. Joan was more than accommodating and very helpful. She's worked hard to make it nice and given that it's so affordable, we would go back in a heartbeat. Nice location, close to Founders Hall and the wharf, lots of great restaurants and shopping. Highly recommend a stay here. Although our weather was cloudy and rainy, we got to see the garden, which offers many places to sit ... very peaceful and lovely. We loved all of PEI, the people, the locale, the views ... and can't wait to go back. Check out Heart's Content B&B and enjoy your stay - you won't be disappointed!

Stayed August 2008

Been to Heart's Content Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!