“huge fish and chips” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 203 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Curran, ontario
“huge fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

we have been here twice as a family and both times we ordered the family fish and chips. It comes on a huge platter to share. as others have said, it is kinda greasy but it is fish and chips and onion rings, I would expect it to be greasy....
otherwise , our waitress was friendly, the decor is charming, the fish is crispy and flaky. the side dishes are tangy to complement the richness of the fish.
for this large portion at a reasonable price, I would eat here again on our next trip.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charlottetown, Canada
“Great food & Gluten Free Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Wonderful fish & chips, you can choose your own type of fish. They offer a great gluten free menu and conveniently located downtown.

Peterborough, ON
“Could have been better, for one”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've been to Brits, while vacationing from Ontario, several times before. My husband enjoys coming here, when we are here during the lunch period. So he usually orders the fish and chips, and 3 other teenagers with us had the same thing. They enjoyed it, and Brits seems to be known for their fish/chips, and it seems many others enjoy it. First, I ordered a Caesar salad, as I was craving one. The waitress 'figured' they were 'out of' Caesar dressing, and went away to verify. 'No go' for my salad, as there was no dressing (hint: if you know you're out of dressing, at least skip off to a local store (like maybe Dollaroo in the nearby Mall) and buy the cheapest dressing, until your order comes in!- my husband felt they could have done that too). For my main meal, I ordered the clam strips dinner. To let others know it is definitely not worth it! The clam pieces were the smallest I've seen, and much of that were fried little bits, with no 'meat' in it, so I just ended up crunching batter bits!! I've eaten clam strips elsewhere, so I know this wasn't good! Strike 2!!
When I went to pay for the meals, the waitress said she could accept my traveller's cheque, and just as I started signing, she yelled to the manager(?), if that was okay, and he exclaimed it wasn't (good thing I just started signing one letter of my name), so I paid another way...not a big deal, but that was the third thing there that occurred that wasn't good (hotels, gas stations and small stores accepted my trav. cks), and I like to use those when I'm on a 2 week holiday, and not wanting to carry alot of cash. I think I'll mention to my husband that next time we try somewhere else, as there are other fish places around, and we visit C'Town once or twice a summer, when we come to our 2nd home on the Island. The rating would have been higher, but my experience knocked it down.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint John, Canada
“A Celiac's Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I had wonderful meals. She's vegetarian and I have Celiac. Our waiter, Ian, was incredibly knowledgeable and described the exact degree of contamination I could expect. It was precisely the same as in my own kitchen. The gluten-free batter was right up there with the best batters that I ate before my diagnosis. The only risk to my health was gluttony. I only had the one-piece fish and chips and we split an order of the fried mushrooms. Even so, I couldn't finish all the food although I sure tried. A big thank you to Ian and Britt's for such a great experience!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottetown, Canada
“not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Portions are plenty big to be sure however fish is far too greasy and leaves you feeling a little icky. service was decent but not spectacular. If you like really greasy fish then go for it you will definitely leave full but otherwise i would say avoid. Not worth the money. Not outright terrible but there are better places in town to eat.

Visited May 2012