We stayed at Montague River Cottages in August of 2013. We rented a two-bedroom cottage for three nights.
I had trouble deciding between a 3- and 4-point rating for this property. I would rate 3.5 if possible. Here are some of the pros and cons.
- Excellent location... Montague is on the eastern end of PEI and it is a lovely little town. It is about 40 minutes from Charlottetown, and close to a number of golf courses and beaches. For those looking for a low-key "non-touristy" PEI experience (as opposed to the Cavendish / Green Gables stuff), this end of the province does well.
- These cottages are on a bank above the river - literally about 50' in front of the cottages - and they are adjacent to the Trans Canada Trail, the former rail cut hiking & bike trail that stretches across the province. A nice ten-minute walk along the trail takes you into downtown Montague.
- These are very well kept cottages: extremely clean and tidy. The property is small but nice.
- The hosts are very nice, friendly people.
- The biggest drawback about these cottages were the mattresses. They were hard as a board - terrible! We didn't sleep well at all during our stay, and this is the main reason we won't return to this property.
- One room in particular had a strong, musty odour.
- The cottages are situated very close together, leaving not a lot of room to roam about, and not a lot of privacy between units.
- There isn't much for children to do on-site. There is a very small play area, but with only one swing and a slide.
- This is nit-picky, but as another reviewer mentioned, they supply only the initial toiletries (e.g. toilet paper). It seems like an odd policy for a vacation property to have, and one that serves to simply annoy customers for such a small cost savings!
To conclude, I want to rate this property higher - the pros are strong, the location is wonderful and the hosts are very friendly people - but the sleep quality alone pulls the rating down a lot for us. It may have been one of the worst beds we've slept in at any hotel or cottage. Perhaps it was just the beds in our cottage... other reviewers haven't mentioned this problem.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.