“Great place, kind intelligent hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Ye Olde Walkerville Bed & Breakfast
1104 Monmouth Road, Windsor, Ontario N8Y 3L8, Canada (Walkerville)   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Windsor B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Great place, kind intelligent hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I can't believe I've waited so long to write a review for this place, since they were so nice and we really enjoyed our stay. My fiance and I were passing through en route back to Chicago after driving from Miami to Montreal, and so we were staying mid-week when it was empty. The host's son was so welcoming, installed us on the porch with massive glasses of free wine (which goes a long way I guess :), and was helpful in suggesting what to do. The B& B was randomly located in this nice residential neighborhood; at first we were like yikes where are we because nearby seemed dodgy but it was perfectly safe. The rooms were clean and nice and the breakfast was very good and the hosts were interesting conversationalists. I would definitely stay again if we are even in Windsor! When we payed they let us pay in U.S. and Canadian money and even coins!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very well maintained property and extremely clean. Excellent value. The hosts are friendly and most accommodating. The breakfasts were great, using local produce when available. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hi, i recently went to ye old walkerville bb to check it out... James helped me and my fiancee tour the place. I told him i wanted a suite for me and my girls for the night before my wedding and i asked to get ready there in the morning, he told me that it was perfect because he had nobody that day! My fiancee pulled out his VISA and said how much? And said he would put a % of his choice down on the room to keep it. James said no worries we have u written in! Next thing i know about 3 and a half weeks later the father of james... The OWNER CALLS ME leaves me a voicemail saying i cannot have the suite since another bride is getting it... I called and said to him i was the only one on the calendar james showed me. He offered me two rooms instead!!! I told him, NO way no bride wants to share!!! He was like i think its a great deal and throughout he was impatient telling me it wasnt his fault.. He also told me that the bride in question was staying two nights... Think about it.. I find that disrespectful and arrogant! They do NOT know how to run a business!

• Stayed August 2012
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just returned from Ye Old Walkerville Bed & Breakfast. We chose this B&B based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were glad we did choose this B&B. The owners Larry & Joyce are very pleasant and make you feel welcomed as soon as you walk through the door. Our room was well decorated and spotless and had a nice bathroom with jacuzzi. Larry suggested a nice restaurant to go eat for diner which was called Ristorante Avanti which was delicious. Our breakfast the next morning was just fabulous. They made sure everything was perfect and sure was perfect and so......good. Everything was fresh. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, I would recommend this B&B with fabulous hosts like Larry & Joyce.

Thanks Larry & Joyce for your generous hospitality

Jacques & Carole
Gatineau, QC

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor,Ontario,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a truly lovely B & B. Located close to historic Walkerville in Wiindsor, Ontario and within almost walking distance of some fine restaurants both in Walkerville and nearby Ottawa and Erie Streets. Not far from the new VIA rail station. The Suite upstairs is a gem--a bit of a climb to get there for aging bones but worth the effort. Fine breakfast with congenial host and hostess. Comfortanle sitting room where one can enjoy some fascinating conversation with the hosts. We had a lovely visit and look forward to other visits at Ye olde Walkerville when we are next in Windsor for the film festival.

Room Tip: The Suite!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Petoskey, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We chose this B&B, based on Trip Advisor reviews, for the start and end of our VIA Rail trip through Eastern Canada. The B&B is perfectly located in a charming historic neighborhood -- an easy walk to the VIA Rail Windsor Station, and an easy walk or drive to excellent restaurants, including Ristorante Avanti, where we enjoyed one of the best minestrone soups we've tasted. We also enjoyed the proximity to the Canadian Club Distillery, where we took the incredibly in-depth, informational tour (especially if you enjoy the history of Prohibition and "Boardwalk Empire" back stories) that was a great value for only $5. Our bed was comfortable, our bathroom was spotless, and we enjoyed conversing with our host. We also appreciated the glasses of wine offered when we arrived long days of traveling. Would definitely stay here again, and would encourage other VIA Rail travelers to check out this lovingly restored B&B.

Our host was charming, gracious, and an excellent cook, taking great pains to serve what might please us (and we're not that fussy!).

Room Tip: We stayed in Tyler's suite, which had a one-person whirlpool tub, but was close to the street an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I live in the area. My wife and I attended high-school next door and she has always been curious about staying there. I wanted to surprise her for our wedding anniversary and reserve a room.

Because I live close by, I first showed up in person to make a reservation but there was no one present. Later that day I used their web-site to reserve a room. I received no reply at all.

Two or three days after using their web-site I sent a follow-up e-mail and was finally given a reply telling me that the night I requested was unavailable. This would be the beginning of many back and forth e-mails with much frustration on my part.

I explained that the specific night was flexible as long as it was around the date of our anniversary and to their credit they offered me their suite at a discounted rate. I asked if I could confirm my reservation in person as I don't like to give my credit card information over the phone. This is when things began to get very frustrating. I was told that the father was on vacation and would be returning on October 8th and that I could come and meet with him then. It was explained that I could see the room and go over details etc. I responded, explaining that all I wanted was to confirm the reservation ASAP, as I do not like to leave things up in the air, but they persisted.

So I waited almost two weeks before I could go in person, and when I arrived on the 8th there was no one present once again.

Upon returning home I sent another e-mail politely expressing my frustration at the difficultly involved in the process of confirming a reservation, and explained that such difficultly could lead one to feel concern over the quality of service that could be expected in person, and I requested an appointment to meet with someone.

They took offence to my customer feedback and told me to take my business elsewhere. They told me that it was unfair of me to "jump to conclusions" over the quality of their service because I did not want to confirm over the phone (which was a gross misstatement of events).

From my point of view, reserving a room and corresponding with customers is all a part of their service. Given the customer service I received, including their response to my feedback, I must say their service was extremely poor. Never in my life have I been told that my business is not wanted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ye Olde Walkerville Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!