“Gift Card Recipients Beware” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Il Gabbiano Ristorante

Il Gabbiano Ristorante
875 Erie St, East, Windsor, Ontario, Canada (Walkerville)
519 256 9757
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 644 Restaurants in Windsor
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Walkerville
Windsor, Canada
“Gift Card Recipients Beware”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Before visiting your restaurant we checked the reviews on the internet and found that your establishment had very favorable reports on everything from the food,service and ambiance.
These were very encouraging signs,so we decided to try your excellent cuisine.
On Wednesday January 14th we,arrived at approximately 5.20 pm and we were cordially greeted and seated.Our waiter provided us with two menus each and suggested we order the "winter bites"
for $35.00.All three in our party settled for his suggestion.
I cannot say enough about the food.From the appetizer to the dessert everything was superb.You are to be commended.
Everything was going smoothly until the bill was brought to the table.
The waiter said I quote "I hope you are not paying this with a gift card,as the "winter bites"menu is not accepted payment with this gift card"
What a shock!How embarrassed we were.
The waiter ran on about how the gift card was already discounted at Costco by 20% and the the "winter bites"was already discounted.
These were Christmas gifts for God's sake from our grand children and who cares where they were purchased or if they read the fine print disclosure at Costco.
What a dumb statement!Do you check where your gifts come from?
Prior to us being seated and handed the menus,not one word was mentioned about this policy.
You would think that just a few weeks after Christmas that a lot of people would be using gift cards such as this and therefore should be informed that gift cards such ours is not acceptable for payment of the "winter bites".
Needless to say I reluctantly paid for our meals with a credit card.
We still have the gift cards but it is doubtful if we will return to your restaurant.
This experience taught your waiter a lesson,as he missed out on a very large tip.
You sir as the owner will possibly lose three future customers,which is a shame because you have such a delightful place.But a bad policy.
I used to own a restaurant and I know how bad publicity can be detrimental to a business.

• Visited January 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Little Secrets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Find yourself in Windsor, Ontario and looking for a great place to eat?
I recently took my wife and children to the city in which I was born. Windsor Ontario , haven’t been back since my parents passed away, some Fifteen years ago. The old place hasn’t change too much, but I did find a great treasure hidden on Erie St. IL Gabbiano. This place is one of Windsor’s best kept little secrets, we didn’t have a reservation, but the host which turned out to be our waiter showed us to a table. Any place with white table clothes makes me feel like a I am in a nice Italian ristorante. The waiter was a most pleasant fellow, without imposing himself into our family time over a meal. They had a great wine selection am The food was served quick enough to enjoy each bit, and we didn’t feel rushed , like with most of those types of restaurants. When the bill arrived I looked at my wife WOW was I surprised it was totally affordable a beautiful dinner for four turned out to be the highlight of our trip. I would not hesitate to return anytime IL Gabbiano made me feel like I was Home. What A Great Place!!!
Bill

• Visited December 2013
Tecumseh
“"On Point"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Windsor has slowly been gaining a reputation as a bastion of food innovation. I have been dinning in some Windsor and Detroit's best kep secrets for some time now. I must say its quite an experiance. this so called food revoulution is happening in the Windsor area, has seen many of the countries best new restaurants sprouting up like mushrooms. For those of you searching for a culinary experiance like no other, look no further then Gabbiano.

App- Sausage rapini/Mussels

Salad & soup - caesar salad/roasted red pepper soup

Main course(s) - Filet on a bed of mushroom risotto & Salmon with rapini in lemon oil sauce

Dessert - nutella banana creme brule

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Windsor, Canada
“Good old Il Gabbiano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

You'll never make mistake going to this place. Food is always extremely good and service is too.
Exceptional in every way

Visited August 2013
Tecumseh, Canada
“always great service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

great food, normally order pasta but ordered the filet, equally as good a steak as the keg or any steak and seafood restaurants. Husband had the spicy mussels, were some of the best he's had. Very enjoyable evening.

• Visited August 2013