“View of Detroit Skyline - Great for Visit to Windsor /Detroit Venues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor

You added Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor to your Saves list
Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   277 Riverside Drive West, Windsor, Ontario N9A 5K4, Canada (Formerly Hilton Windsor) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
London, Canada
“View of Detroit Skyline - Great for Visit to Windsor /Detroit Venues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Waterfront Hotel has a great view of the Detroit skyline and is located in downtown Windsor. There is a shuttle service right outside the hotel that runs regularly to Detroit. We used it for an event at Ford Field. It picked us up outside the hotel went through customs quickly and dropped us off right next to the stadium where we picked it up to return. Very convenient and for the 4 of us return cost the same as parking without having the hassle of having to drive. It is even faster than driving as there is no wait to cross the border. The rooms are clean, reasonably up to date, there is a pool and a complimentary breakfast which is decent. All considered an excellent value for a good hotel at a great location.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We wanted to check this hotel out again as the last time we were here, it was many years ago and a Delta, or Hilton, or one of the major chains. What we remembered was the amazing view of the river and the Detroit skyline. Overall, we were not disappointed with its current state. The lobby looks great, and they have a nice, large area set aside for the more than adequate continental breakfast available daily. Our room was on the 10th floor and had been renovated at some point in the recent past so that it had a clean, comfortable feel to it. Great beds, easy chair, desk, fridge etc. The view is still great, and at night, the Detroit skyscrapers (The Renaissance Centre?) is lit up with changing coloured lights). Our only disappointment, which is no fault of the hotel, was we were there a bit early in the season for the lake freighter traffic. We did see a couple going by but the numbers will pick up as spring moves along!

I mentioned the casino in the title, and that's because it held no interest to us. For those wanting to visit it though, it is only a short walk, maybe 4 blocks. Some reviewers expressed some concern with the parking garage being in a sketchy area. My wife and I had no issue with its location, and in any event there is a security guard on duty at night.

For $120./night plus parking, I think this is a great deal.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed for 2 nights in a panorama room on the 21st floor. Great view of the skyline in Detroit.

The room was not the largest but fine size for my self. Needs some updates as the sink had a crack and the side table wood was chipping off a bit.

The work out room has the same great view as the room. The hot tub was boarded over and was informed the owner is shutting it down permanently as he thinks its unsanitary. Would of like to know this befor booking as normally book hotels with this amenity.

Front staff were very friendly and breakfast is included but was not that good, even from complementary standards. Sausage was bit dried out.

Location is great. Casino near by and great trail along the waterfront. Over all not a bad hotel that just needs some updates but have fantastic views.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Jjsimmons,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the fantastic view of Detroit River & Skyline from your guest room, as well as from our health club. We believe that the views of the waterfront is a unique experience for our guests to enjoy, and we are proud to share that all 305 of our guest rooms have a view of the water. We would also like to let you know that there are plans to renovate 140 of our guest rooms, which will bring and updated look and feel for our guests to enjoy. Finally, we agree that our location in Downtown Windsor is great! With a close proximity to local attractions, the waterfront trail, and numerous restaurants and pubs, we are the ideal location for travelers with various interests.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope to host you again soon!

Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 2 nights for a friends wedding in May. Our check in was quick & easy. Our room was on the 10th floor, with a partial river view, overlooking Detroit. The room was very spacious, and clean. The hallways looked like they could do with abit of tlc.
Breakfast was very busy, and little choice-but it was included in the room rate, so not bad value for money. Upon check out reception looked after our luggage for several hours while we had a wander around, at no charge. The staff were very friendly and ordered us cabs upon our request. Over all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear DivaNic1975,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, while you were in town for your friend's wedding. As you experienced, our partial river view rooms face either east or west, offering a nice view of the Detroit River & Skyline. For just a small upgrade fee, our panoramic view rooms offer floor-to-ceiling windows with a full front view overlooking the water. We hope you enjoyed touring around the local area, and we hope you enjoyed taking in the sites along the Windsor Waterfront Path.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope we have the opportunity to host you again!

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I would love to give a glowing review of this hotel, but I can't. I checked in on a Friday after a 4.5 hour drive. I wanted to get to my room, shower, change and meet with my family. It took an unusually long time to check in because the lady working at the front desk did not appear to know what she was doing. (that was later confirmed) Her co worker assisted her but stopped to check another family in. I waited as that party checked in while the rep assisting me was still trying to figure things out. She advised she needed my credit card for incidentals even though my son had already arranged with the hotel to cover my room charges. When asked what type of incidentals I might incur, she advised if I drank the bottle of water provided by the hotel I would be charged. There was no bottled water in my room. She was polite and apologized and I was finally off to my room. I checked my bank statement on Monday evening to discover that my debit card was being charged for this stay. I got dressed and when to the front desk. I was told the lady who checked us in failed to do something properly and that is why my card was being charged for the room. I was told it may take 3 to 5 business days for my funds to be returned to my account. I was advised I could speak with Mandy Choi, the manager, to voice my complaints. She was not available at the time so I got her business card. I just left her a voicemail message and I will see what happens. I doubt they can do anything, however I need those funds today. The hotel was OK , with a big blunder like this, I can't give them more than 2 stars. My son & daughter in law (newlyweds) had problems with their room being cleaned properly. My daughter and I checked into a room with half rolls of toilet paper so we later had to call and request more. The pool and fitness center were great. It would have been nice to have the spa pool and sauna open and available for use. My daughter's boyfriend was a bit upset when he went to the lobby for breakfast at 9:55 AM and everything was packed up and gone. If you advertise breakfast until 10 AM you should not close it down 5 minutes before time. I was very grateful for the front desk agent who tried to get an appointment for a manicure for me and my daughter but when we could not find a salon, she was able to track down nail polish remover so we could do our nails in our room. The rooms all have a view of the Detroit River. They are not all great views. I was on the 5th floor so my view was mostly of the heating and air units and a slither of the lake. The hotel should consider putting the floor numbers on the wall as you exit the elevators. You must step out of the elevator and look to your right to confirm that you are on the correct floor. I had that problem as did many other guests. Overall, it's OK for a place to lay your head for a couple of hours.

Room Tip: Select a room on a higher floor, preferably a deluxe room.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Ginger B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, and we apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced due to the billing issue. We are also disappointed to hear your daughter's boyfriend was not able to enjoy the Complimentary Free Breakfast Buffet that was included in your room rate. Our buffet is available between 6:30 - 9:30am, Monday - Friday and 7:00am - 10:00am on Saturday/Sunday, and should always remain open until the posted end time. Finally, we would like to thank you for your suggestion to make floor numbers visible as you exit off of our elevators. It is something that has not been brought to our attention before, and we appreciate being able to correct something that might impact the total guest experience.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very nice view. Breakfast buffet was very basic but excellent staff at keeping the buffet clean and stocked.

The hot tub was not working nor was the sauna. But the fitness room is nice. Rooms are also very nice.

Nothing much around--didn't eat in Windsor.

My friends and I stayed here because we couldn't find a hotel in Detroit. Really bad idea! Even if the crossing is quick, the toll is $5 each way and the guards ask such stupid questions to me, the only non-white person.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Dear KSL13,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would like to thank you for noticing and sharing your kind words about our Breakfast Attendants. They undoubtedly work hard to ensure the breakfast buffet remains fully stocked, which can be a difficult job especially during our busy weekends. Your comments will be passed on to the appropriate department and shared with the team. The next time you stay, we would like to invite you to explore the many restaurants/pubs/bars located close to us in Downtown Windsor. With so many options to choose from, we know you won't be disappointed!

London, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We paid for a room with a panoramic view, however one of the windows was fogged up and you could not see out of it. The bed was lumpy but not uncomfortable. Check-in was easy though coming in from the parking garage was quite a roundabout way. Check-out was quick.

The breakfast was okay, nothing great.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ArchanaG152,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience with our check-in/check-out process, but disappointed to hear that one of your windows was fogged up. The view from the Full Panoramic View rooms of the Detroit River & Skyline is truly spectacular, and we are sorry if you did not get to enjoy it to your full satisfaction. We do strive to give each of our guests a positive experience, and we hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again and meet this standard.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

The Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor Team

Been to Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor? Share your experiences!