“Vet nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor

Save Saved
You added Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor to your Saves list
Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   277 Riverside Drive West, Windsor, Ontario N9A 5K4, Canada (Formerly Hilton Windsor) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #9 of 34 hotels in Windsor
Windsor, Ontario
“Vet nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Located right on Riverside Drive witha beautiful view of Detroit River & Detroit. Rooms were immaculate and service was great. No problems or issues that I would report. This hotel is located in the heart of Windsor close to everything. Walking distance to a variety of clubs & restaurants. Great view.

• Stayed July 2011

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton during a recent stay in Windsor for a concert at the Casino. We had a riverside view room with Queen bed and it was perfect. The view of the river and the Detroit skyline was spectacular, especially at night.

The free shuttle to the casino was perfect and we used it there and back no problem and no waiting. We had read about the parking issues at this location so we used the valet parking since we knew we wouldnt be using our car at all during our stay.

The swimming pool is a very good size, the water was decent, not too cold and the hot tub was nice. There is a workout room at this facility too but we didnt use it.

When i called to book the room the guy would took my call was rude and well, i can't say we received any better reception when we actually checked in. They certainly act like they're just passing the time and are holier than tho.

Room Tip: Riverside Room has beautiful views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Windsor for a weekend getaway. The hotel was a short taxi ride from the VIA train station. The first impression wasn't great as, quite frankly, the hotel wasn't much to look at from the outside and the lobby was unimposing. Not at all what one would expect from a Hilton. However, the staff was very friendly and helpful and they upgraded our room at no extra charge. The room was very clean and spacious, and the bed was extremely comfortable. More what you'd expect from the brand. We also had a great view of the Detroit River and downtown Detroit.

Although there was dining on the premises, we chose to sample from the many restaurants located within walking distance of the hotel. Directly across from the hotel was a lovely path that ran beside the river. Ideal for an early morning stroll or for walking off dinner! We really enjoyed our stay and I would definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: I booked this hotel through Hotwire and got an amazing rate.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel was alright but not a great as you'd expect from a Hilton. Firstly, the parking garage is something to be desired - it's a bit scary especially at night and it's not really the hotel's parking garage so you wonder if your car is safe there.

Second, less than 10 minutes after I arrived, as I was coming down from my room, my elevator stopped working - I was trapped between floors for nearly 30 minutes while they worked to fix it. The phone in the elevator worked and the guys on the other end were sympathetic but it was obviously a VERY old elevator that was in deperate need of an upgrade - call me strange but I kind of expect those things to just work, especially at a "nice hotel." They were apologetic but I didn't receive anything free as an "apology" afterward if you know what I mean.

Third, the toilet in my room needed repairs after I got there -it didn't flush and overflowed slightly after I arrived. They fixed it quickly, but again, I kind of expect these basic things to work.

Finally, I picked the Hilton instead of the other cheaper hotels because I hoped the young "partiers" wouldn't be there, but there was a group of young 20-somethings down the halls from me who ran the halls for a few hours, drunk and screaming at the top of their lungs. If you're looking for a quiet place on the weekend, I'd avoid this hotel.

The positives: the beds were comfy and the room was relatively clean. And the location was great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
St. John's, Newfoundland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I just returned from a three night stay at the hotel. When I checked in I was told I was given a recently-renovated room. There was new carpeting and the bed was very comfortable, but the other furnishings were not new ... OK, but a bit weathered. Regardless, the room was clean.

Two irritants were 1) checked in on Monday afternoon after a day of travel and was told the restaurant wasn't open for dinner on Mondays -- I could have gone to the bar (not an option), but instead had to search out a restaurant nearby the hotel ... fortunately, I saw The Keg's sign outside my window, so that made the choice simple. 2) I didn't receive a newspaper the first morning despite the key card wallet saying, "I have accepted delivery of the Globe and Mail. If refused a $1.00 ... credit will appear on your bill." I didn't refuse so I asked at the desk. I was told the key card wallets need to be reprinted because newspapers are only delivered to HHonors Gold and Platinum, but they do deliver to others upon request The next morning, I left the room at 7:45 -- no newspaper (I was told they were delivered to the hotel late); the next morning I left the room at 7:30 -- no newspaper. While other reviews have said there isn't WiFi, if you are on the 20th floor you can access the WiFi available on the Executive floor above.

The hotel isn't bad (it has a less than positive overall feel), and the room rate is reasonable. Just don't expect a Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room facing the Detroit skyline. Also, if you want WiFi, ask for the 20th floor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We were attending a wedding and stayed at this hotel. Overall, our visit was pleasant. Pluses - comfortable beds and pillows, very good location. Room size was satisfactory, we had adjoining rooms which was convienient.
Parking was a little hike but reasonable cost.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Leuven
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Tiny rooms, unhelpful staff (with the exception of the concierge), poorly marked entrance, no free parking, unwelcoming dingy lobby, stuffy bar, and no Wi-Fi.

The room seemed clean, but a cigarette butt in the corridor was there for three days, which made me question how clean it really was. The walls were also paper thin, so you can hear everything that goes on in the corridor and next-door rooms.

The only redeeming quality is the spectacular view on the river and Detroit.

Hilton should be ashamed of having this hotel in its portfolio.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor? Share your experiences!