“Old Hotel, Beautiful views” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Riverside Inn

Save Saved
You added Windsor Riverside Inn to your Saves list
Windsor Riverside Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Riverside Drive West, Windsor, Ontario N9A 5K4, Canada (Formerly Radisson Riverfront Hotel Windsor) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #21 of 34 hotels in Windsor
Troy, Michigan
“Old Hotel, Beautiful views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Fantastic views of the Motor city, old hotel & air condition too.
Needs renovations, service is less than average..
you can get good deals... less than 100$ per night

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Americus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Made a bid for $55.00 on Priceline and won, paid an extra $15.00 at the lobby for a riverview room and it was well worth it! Our room was 1908 on the 19th floor (highest floor) and the room was okay, the view was great as I said, but the shower made a weird noise (notified front desk upon checkout) and the room itself could use a facelift- old huge tv, rundown looking decor, bathroom just average. Maureen at the desk was very helpful trying to find us Canada Fireworks taking place, she wasn't successful but she tried and it was appreciated.

Would stay here again IF the room had a view of the river.
Parking is $10.00
We had dinner at "The Keg" which was very nice, next door to hotel

Room Tip: Pay 15 when you check in to upgrade for a riverview room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We hosted a wedding reception in the Riverfront Club Room in June 2012. The view was fantastic and the room itself required little extra decorating (nice woodwork, bright and open). The food was delicious and the staff were amenable to adding in a few extra drinks to the bar to give it a personal touch. Our guests seemed to enjoy themselves and overall we had a nice time. However, the process was a bit disorganized and there appear to be some communication problems. Though staff were relatively easy to get a hold of (usually no longer than a week to reply to email), there were details that had to be addressed on the day itself. I'd asked for certain things to be in place on several occasions leading up to the event, only to show up at the room to find that these things had not been done. In addition, there were linens that were clearly dirty (large black spots) and several spots within the room that had not been cleaned (table tops, floors). A few very helpful staff remedied the situation, but it was odd that these had not been previously addressed. Payment was also confusing as it seemed like some branches of the organization were not communicating with others, and ultimately I am not sure if my bill has been paid in full or no. If I was rating the staff (including wait staff) on the day of the event and the chefs who prepared our food, I would give them a 4.5 or 5, but overall the process was irksome enough that someone less laid back than me would probably get pretty frustrated.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at the Windsor Riverside Inn on Saturday, June 2, 2012. We got the room for $69+ on Hotwire ($85 incl. tax and fees) about 2 weeks in advance, while the best rack rate for this hotel was $125+. My husband and I were given a non-smoking (lucky!) room on the 11th floor, view of Windsor, double beds. We didn’t request any special room specifics, as we’re always curious to see what we get, and we’re also not that picky. For what we paid, it is an excellent deal. Had we paid rack rate, I would not be as impressed.

We stayed here to go and see a show at Caesar’s, and that hotel was asking $299/night, which is waaaay out of our league. The hotel has a shuttle, which is a Caesar’s shuttle that runs by all of the downtown hotels every half hour through 3AM. We walked to the casino, and it took about 10 minutes. Being in my heels, we decided to take the shuttle on return, and I wished we would have taken it there, as it was quick, clean and efficient. Ladies, if you have your heels on, take the shuttle! We tipped the driver $5 for the lift.

The hotel is fine. It is clean and the rooms are a good size. The bathrooms are nice and big, but the towels aren’t great: they are a little on the scratchy side. We didn’t use the pool area, but it looked pretty nice. The staff was fine, pleasant, average, probably local university students. We didn’t eat anything, but the room service menu seemed average in price and offerings.

As a former Raddisson, the hotel has Sleep Number beds. These seem to be a “love it” or “hate it” amenity, and after my first night in one, I have to side with the “hate it” folks. Default seems to be 45 (/100), and I was afraid to play around with it, so I left it. I woke up in the middle of the night and it felt like I was sleeping on a rock, so I woke the Husband up to see if he could fix it for me. He took it to a 30, which was a lot better for me, but it really felt like sleeping on a big air mattress. I will take a regular bed, hard or soft, over one of these any day. The bedding, however, is very nice quality and comfortable.

There are 2 things that the owners of this hotel need to do to make it a solid 3.5-star choice. First, they need to get wi-fi. Honestly, it is 2012, people! Every McDonald’s, Starbucks, and even public school has wi-fi. Nobody wants your sad little Ethernet cord! We have i-Pads, tablets and wi-fi enabled netbooks. It is amazing to me that a modern downtown hotel would not have laid out the minimal investment to ensure that wi-fi is available. They could even charge $10-$15 a day for it if they want, but the fact that it isn’t even an option should be a major source of embarrassment for whoever owns this hotel.

Secondly, what is with the 27” colour TV that is listed as an “amenity” on the hotel’s web page? Again, it is 2012, people! A big, square cathode-ray monster is nothing to be bragging about! Also, the beast is housed in what I’m sure someone once thought was an “elegant” armoire, the doors of which make it difficult to see and hear the TV if you aren’t seated directly in front of it.

As I said, the hotel is fine. If you can get in here on a good deal from Hotwire or Priceline, you will have a fine stay. However, there is no way the management can justify a basic rack rate of $144, with discounted rates around $125. I don’t usually write reviews for mid-level hotels like this, as they’re all pretty much the same, but it just ticks me off that the owners let these things go. If they fix the wi-fi, TVs, and add nicer towels, they can justifiably get $150+ and not seem like they are taking advantage of their guests.

Join the 21st century, Riverside!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We got a room here after a birding visit to Point Pelee. Excellent location right on the waterfront with great views of the Detroit skyline. This property used to be a Radisson and could use some updates. Overall pretty good if you can find a deal online.
Parking is $10 a night in the City Garage behind the hotel. If you know the area you can find other open lots for much less within 3-4 blocks.

Room Tip: Riverview room is $15 extra, but can get noisy. The Detroit electronic music festival was going on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Toledo OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The room had a mini fridge, free WiFi and your choice of city or river view. The river view is $15 more. The staff was extremely nice, the rooms were in fair condition. The bar in the hotel was expensive and had very slow poor service. Walk across the street there a plenty of other bars near by. The casino is walking distance.I normally stay at the travel lodge when I go to Windsor but decided to try the Riverside because of its reviews. I really found this hotel to be no better then the travel lodge. In the future I will price shop the two and go with the best deal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel has the potential to be a 4.5 star but has a few things that prevent it getting that kind of rating. Firstly, the hotel of my choice in the Windsor area was over priced so I decided to shop and made a $65.00 bid for a 3 star or above and got this place for 2 nights through priceline.com. It is situated right on the Detroit River as the name suggests and has a beautiful view of the Detroit skyline at night and just cross the street to the spectacular Dieppe Park. THe downtown core is a couple of blocks away with plenty of eating places and surprisingly well-kept. (Not how I remember Windsor) The lobby is nice and check-in was fine. Got to our room late on a Sunday night and everything looked good. Ordered room service and it was sub-par and costly. Two mornings out of the 3 we stayed it took between 7-10 minutes to get hot water in the shower. They said that the problem was as a result of some work the city was doing and was finished the day I left. Parking is a bit of an issue. You pay $10.00 a night to park in a parking lot across the street behind the hotel. There is an enclosed walkway from the second
floor of the lot into the hotel and then you take an elevator that gets you to the first floor of the hotel and then walk to the hotel lobby. There was never a problem finding a parking spot but you are taking three elevators to get from the first floor of the parking lot to the walkway to the lobby and then up to your room. The elevator inside the commercial area of the hotel bldg between the lobby and the walkway was quite creaky and sounded like there was a loose cable. Beds were very comfortable and everything in the room was fine but the the shower has a head on it that caused a lot of water to be leaking onto the floor. I noticed a piece of potato chip and wrapper in the hallway the night we arrived and it was still there a couple of days later so although our room was very well cleaned the hallway obviously were not.

Room Tip: We stayed an extra night unexpectedly and got a AAA rate of $94.50 directly from the hotel for the l...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Windsor Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!