“Awesome Business Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   430 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, Ontario N9A 1B2, Canada (Formerly Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
Great Lakes
“Awesome Business Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

I read this site's reviews before booking and hoped it would not be full of carousing teenagers.

To my surprise, it was not only quiet and calm, it was the best experience I have had in the last few dozen stays anywhere this year.

At right around US$100.00 with a corporate discount, it was much less expensive than most nice Holiday Inn suburban Detroit properties (Troy, Birmingham, etc.). And it is right downtown in the hustle and bustle--my room overlooked an open air bar.

But it was absolutely serene on the seventh floor--one of the top levels reserved for Priority Club members. My room was well-appointed but fairly small. I slept like a champ and had no problem working there all morning. In fact, as I walked past the lobby desk at one point, I asked for a second dose of coffee and was shocked that by the time I reached my room, someone was standing there waiting with my request.

As an American, Canadian TV and the provided Toronto newspaper were novel treats--as was the nearby late-night Mediterranean restaurant down the street. So was being out after midnight with the streets packed with people--while feeling completely safe.

As long as you remember that the hotel apparently pipes in water from the North Pole and allow 5 or 10 minutes for your shower to heat up, I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Liked — This hotel is like Windsor in general--it may get overlooked, but it is fantastic.
  • Disliked — Cell phone service was poor.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
DETROIT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

After calling all the hotels and motels in downtown windsor and not getting the price I wanted I ended up walking into Holiday Inn and booking a room on the spot. The actually gave us a AARP discount.

We were in Windsor for the Fireworks. Our friend had a suite at the Hilton and the rooms there were nice but we didn't want to pay 300.00 a night. So after arriving in Windsor I first went into the lobby of the Raddison and it was a mess. A sea of people trying to check in. And granted it was 3 pm and a huge fireworks/festival was going on they should have been better prepared. The had 2 people working the front desk. I stood there for approx. 10 minutes and ran out of there. Drove over to the Quality Inn and they had quoted me 147. over the phone with a AAA discount and they would not grant that price or a discount of any kind. 179.00 period. So we left there and walked over to the Holiday Inn and it was quiet as we walked into the lobby and I thought great. Their likely booked. Nope they weren't and had rooms at 119.00 a night (the cheapest in town according to Tiffany at the front desk) we asked if they offered a discount for AAA and she said no, I asked what about AARP, yes, they do! Great. So the room ended up being 99.00 pluse tax and 6.50 for parking. Perfect.

We got room 719 facing the street. The room was nice, several pillows on th bed and everything seemed to be new. We blasted the A/C and relaxed until it was time to go. The hotel was not busy at all and that seemed odd. The hilton on the other hand was very busy. The hilton faced the Detroit River and it was the happening place. Our friends had a suite and we hung out there and ate and watched the fireworks. Their room was very nice.

Walked back to the Hotel but not before stopping by the Lebanese Shrawma place to have the best Chicken Shrawma. The room did have a little coffee maker that made one cup at a time so at least that got us started in the morning for the drive back to Detroit.

I highly recommend this hotel. The street noise didn't bother us at all. And the crowds were huge after the fireworks and were hanging out all along the street of the hotel. Great place to sit in the lobby and people watch. We did till 1:30 am.

Stayed June 2008
Columbus, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

Being a giant fan of the Travelodge on the river, I thought, why not push the envelope and stay right on the main avenue? Can't get any closer to the action than that! Well, that turned out to be a poor decision.

This hotel had small rooms, even smaller halls, and has probably skipped a decade or two of updates. The floors were uneven, the ceilings low, and if your room was not on the avenue side, you saw, heard, and smelled border tunnel traffic 24 hours a day. Not to mention the sun heating up the small room.

It was moderately clean, but had nothing to offer over the other hotels in this area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Old hotel, small accomodations
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Bend, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

Our hotel room was just remodeled. After checking in, we pulled the drapes open and the curtain rods fell down. They sent maintenance up and fixed them. An hour later we opened the sheer drapes and they fell also. The worst incident was when I unplugged my laptop, the entire electrical outlet came out of the wall exposing live electrical wires to my son. This was NOT fixed before we left.

The hotel is located in a neighborhood that is NOT family friendly. It is surrounded by no less than 5 strip joints and three massage parlors and assorted head shops. If that is your thing then this is the place for you. I will not be bringing my family here again.

• Liked — Close to the Tunnel
  • Disliked — Exposed live electrical wires in room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WindsorWindsor, General Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2007
Dear Sir,
I would like to express my sincere apologies for the unfortunate stay you had with us and I only wish that you would have contacted me while in Windsor and maybe I could have helped resolve these issues in a speedier manner. Indeed our hotel is undergoing a 3million dollar renovation to all our rooms and public area's and I feel that you were cheated of a pleasant experience at our hotel being newly renovated because of certain oversights from my contracting company and this I do apologyze for, but we have used your comments to review the due process to ensure that this does not happen again and I have met with the contractor and he has assured me that those issues will never happen again therefore I hope that you will consider giving us a chance in staying with us again?
To conclude you mentioned about the surrounding area of the hotel, well all downtown hotels face certain entertainment districts that are unpleasant to the eye but we mustn't forget the wonderful wineries, historical events, and panoramic view and pedestrian walk only the renown riverside paths and parks, and finally great dining and of course casino fun. So i hope that you will soon forget what transpired and if you wish please call me directly and I would be most happy invite you back at no expense.

Regards

Patrick Trihey
519-256-4656
gm@ramadawindsor.com
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Well after spending many nights in Toronto and a few in the Falls, thought I try Windsor for 1 night since its so close for me to go. Had enough points on my trip rewards credit card for a free night, cool, just had to pay for parking. On a Sat night that cost $14 CN.

The place was pack with 19 and 20 year olds. All the clubs-at least many-are right on the street the hotel is on. Still, was not too bad. Was up on the 6 th floor out of 8 floors. Some floors-5th-were being redone. Room was very clean, was peaceful too when I return at 2:30 am. By 8 am the noise was picking up but well thats kids for you.

Beds were nice-had 2 queen in a non smoking room. Not super nice like the Marriott, Sheraton but nice. Pillows were very small and only 2 per bed-needed 3-4 to full it or 2 big pillows. Were lumpy too but that was the only thing I can say should be better.

AC was ice cold, the coldest AC I ever had in a hotel room. Never needed to put it on high, low speed was fine. A little loud but since it worked so good, there was no need to run it while sleeping. Hot water was fine, tub look worn but clean. Just need a shower anyways so no problems there.

Parking area was small but fine. My newer Buick was left alone. Was park there from 4 pm- 11 am the next day. If you have a big SUV you better come early because not all spaces it fit. They do have a lower level but I just seen the upper- Maybe its good for those SUV's.

For not being a Hilton, Sheraton, it was as good as they come for this type of a hotel. Would stay again-even on a Sat. night.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Those lumpy small pillows
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

We got into town a little earlier than planned (around 12:30pm) and the room was ready and waiting for us. This was a big bonus that I really appreciated. In fact, when I talked to Ramada to book this room, they told me they would 'see' about getting early check in. I don't find too many hotels this flexibile - so it was much appreciated.

Location was excellent - walking distance to so many restaurants and bars, even the Casino.

I've stayed in a couple different hotels in Windsor.. all have some pros and cons, but the Ramada is definitly worth coming back to.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed over night in Windsor. We booked this hotel online and didn't know what to expect. With confidence I can say that this hotel was a great value, even though they were undergoing renovations, we couldn't even tell it was going on. I can't wait to stay there next time when the renovations are done. We enjoyed walking downtown to the river and Casino.

Our room was clean, and the staff were very cheerful and helpful. I will be back to this hotel for the value and convenient location.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown? Share your experiences!