“Comfortable... and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   430 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, Ontario N9A 1B2, Canada (Formerly Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #7 of 34 hotels in Windsor
Ontario, Canada
“Comfortable... and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Visited on March 17, 2011 to room 716. I thought this hotel was a good value. It was centrally located: convenient to the waterfront, to city hall, to the casino and everything was just a short walk away. I have to first say that the evening service at the check-in was great - best I've seen in a LONG time. Not only was the welcome genuine and friendly, but it was not stuffy. Not only our party, but others too were given helpful tips on the city, recommendations to suit what people were looking for, maps on where to get things, and detailed walking instructions. Note for management as well: she suggested and promoted the on-site resto (The 25 cent chicken wings on Thursday were great - and the resto was handy for snacks at any time!). The 7th floor is newly re-done, with clean, average-sized rooms which were bright and comfortable. There were effective in-room temp controls but the fan was loud. The TV could not maintain the signal for more than 10 seconds, so it effectively didn't work (I didn't complain about this, so I'm not holding it against them). The bed was very comfortable - slept like a baby (after 3). The bathroom has a granite counter and a nice deep sink, but no place to put toiletries: a pet peeve for me. The complimentary toiletries were good and had a great scent (Bath and Body Works - coconut lime). I thought the free local calls offered by the hotel was thoughtful... all hotels should have this. They also offered free high speed internet, a business centre, and a generous sized pool (however this was on a stinky-cigarette smelling floor!). I think this is a good deal and I will definitely stay here again.

One note though... if you actually want to sleep on 'party nights' like St Pats Day, you should be cognizant that there will be a noisy Windsor-style party going on under your window until about 3am. Hey, its just part of the experience. I have heard that the bars outside the hotel can often be boisterous... so noise might be an issue more often than not. This could take the 4* rating to a 3*.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Coldwater
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

The hotel is adequate, but don't go if you want a quiet night's sleep. Bars loud and noisy on the front of the hotel til gone 3 am, and on the back the trucks going into the international tunnel idling, and sounding their horns all night.
Needs an upgrade badly.
Sleep in the back of your car before this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Traveling to Windsor is always fun. Lots of food, great sights, interesting waterfront. When looking for a place, I want something central, CLEAN and friendly. I found the Holiday Inn on Holiday Inn.com and the place looked good! Just finished renovations? Middle of the downtown? A Holiday Inn? So far, all my criteria have been met.
I had made my booking and the front desk person (Heather - really nice) had my keys almost immediately! Being a Priority Club Member helps, I guess.
Went up to my room, and was really pleased with what I found. The room was really nice! Clean room, nice pillows. Bathroom was a little small but I didn't plan on hanging out in there. Restaurant downstairs was pretty busy, so I sat at the bar. Loved the quesadilla.
All in all, a good time...now if only the casino would give me my money back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Coming in from the 401, it was easy to find the hotel. Check in process was great. The staff even acknowledged my Priority Club status. Parking was a little tight turning the corners, but had plenty of spots available to choose from, with designated Priority Club spots! Had to pay for parking, but it was cheap compared to other places like Hamilton and Toronto.

The room was clean, quiet, and cool since the staff had turned on the air conditioner prior to my arrival. It was a nice added touch. There was plenty of dining options in the area, and the staff were great in suggesting places to eat at for dinner.

I ate at the on-site restaurant in the morning, and was greeted first thing by a friendly smile. Breakfast was great, and served all day. The staff at check-out were friendly, and knew the area to give directions back to the 401.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family. I felt welcome in the hotel the moment I walked inside.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Cadillac, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Went to Windsor for birthday celebration (girls weekend) and booked two rooms at the Holiday Inn Downtown. Great location, very easy to find from the tunnel. Check in was easy, parking is a little dicey.

We went to our rooms and getting off the elevator on the 5th floor - the whole hallway smelled like dead fish and garbage! It was disgusting! Thank goodness our rooms were fine - they were both clean and fresh but we had to run from the elevator to our rooms each time because of the smell....it was really really bad. Staff told us that the ice machine leaked and the carpet was where the smell was coming from but it really smelled more like decaying garbage. The smell was evident on the 4th and 5th floors for sure - and in the elevator.

This hotel is perfect location for celebrations and nightclubbing with easy walking to the casino and the riverfront...just hope they replace the carpeting in the 5th floor hallway.

Also - the front desk and housekeeping staff were very helpful and friendly. They deal with a lot of drunken American teenagers and I commend them for their patience and smiles.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Windsor, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for one night. I had originally reserved a room with 2 queen beds. Upon arrival I was told that they did not have that room available but they could put me in a room with 2 double beds for the same price. I was not happy about that as I had reserved a 2 queen bed room but was getting less for the same price. I asked why I was able to book it online and they said that housekeeping was not able to get all the rooms ready. They offered to throw in the cost of the parking. A whooping $6.00! I had to take it as I didn't have much other choice. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are extremely small. You can tell that they have tried to update the rooms but the hotel is old. The parking garage is tight. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown quite a few times over the last few years. I just finished staying again for 4 nights. (I live near Niagara Falls Ont. but like to come to Windsor.) The Summerfest along the Detroit River was going on this time. I asked for a room on quiet side of the hotel and reserved two Queen beds online. When I arrived they would let me still have the two Queen beds but said there were no rooms on the side over looking the Canadian Customs which is the quiet side rather than the street side that have 2 Queen beds. I then said 1 King would be fine and was then on the Customs side on the top floor (8th floor). The bed was pretty good as far as firmness but not as firm as some hotels. They had two sets of pillows, firm and soft labelled as such to choose from. The room was clean and quiet as I said. The A/C worked well. The shower had good pressure which is something I think is important and good hot water. The TV on the Weather Network and one or two other channels had a buzzing sound every 20 seconds which i mentioned to the front desk twice and once to a maintenance guy i met in the hall. I was able to connect my portable C drive to the free business PC on main floor which i appreciated. There is a gym on the indoor pool floor with a treadmill and a bike. The restaurant connected to the hotel is good and well looked after. I ate breakfast and some other meals there. If you mention you are staying in the hotel you get 15% off. As the hotel is 4 blocks from the Detroit River park it is pleasant to go at night and overlook Detroit skyline. In the summer there seem to be things going on down there a lot of the time. A four movie theater is a block away with first run movies (big theatres). A lot of nightlife and restaurants are nearby so that is why i wanted the non-street side for a room. (U.S kids come to celebrate as here you can drink at 18 rather than later so the sidewalks are crowded on the weekends and safe to walk on.) The Tunnel BBQ is just around the corner that has been in Windsor over 60 years with good chicken/RIBs, etc. I have stayed in other Windsor hotels in years past but keep coming back to the downtown Holiday inn. Parking is on the second floor which is extra but your car is near as opposed to the other hotels. The Windsor Caesars Casino is a few blocks away if that is your thing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown? Share your experiences!