“Staff needs more training” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Brampton, Canada
“Staff needs more training”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. Hair dryer hung behind bathroom door so did not see it at first. No door on the closet, all open. Good television. Bed felt more like a double than queen but I was travelling alone. Good choice of pillows. Shower could be a stronger pressure, but again clean. Towels good.
My main problem at check in was that I arrived late at night 9pm and as a woman travelling on business alone was quite perplexed when the night desk clerk said my room number to me aloud. Most hotels know that is not appropriate as a safety measure. When I mentioned it to both night clerks, they both appeared surprised and had no clue what I was talking about. I asked if they have had any training for safety of guests and they both said no.; so I said in future, never say the room number aloud, just point when the room key is given. It was my impression that they could not care less.
Upon check out I mentioned it to the day clerks both said they know not to do that, and then someone should teach the night clerks. I had to ask they tell the manager, neither offered to ensure it got to the manager. Alao both could have asked me if \i wanted to speak to the manager. Troubling indeed. The day clerk did not say he had been trained but said when he said a room number aloud the manager called him to the side to correct that behaviour (nicely).
Also the restaurant for breakfast, a challenge. First the girl who greeted me was so new, it felt ameteur. Decaf coffee was instant, but when I ordered they did not say it was instant and not brewed. I ordered egg white omelette with no cheese, and it came with cheese which I discovered after a few bites. As I have a sensitivity to cheese that was problematic. The waitress, who did everything she could, brought it back. It came back floating in oil. I ate the toast,as I was running out of time by this point. She brought me a fruit container to take out as an apology. I completly knew this was not her fault but I started my day without the breakfast I was expecting and had paid for as a voucher for paying a greater amount on my room charge. With breakfast room charge 174 or 179 cant recall, without breakfast 165 ish something like that. Had \I taken the room without breakfast, I would have jsut not paid teh bill for teh omlette.
Overall it is a good hotel, as I say clean and good location. These are trainable issues and I certainly hope the management trains.

Room Tip: I was on 8th floor, and it was nice and quiet. I was even facing the rood, so not an issue
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. We use all of our guest feedback as an opportunity to praise our associates for a job well done OR use as a training/retraining opportunity. I can assure you that your comments have been shared with the Fronf Office Manager and the General Manager and this will be addressed with all of the front desk associates. Guest safety is extremely important for anyone staying at our hotel, and we sincerely apologize that your experience was less than acceptable.

I have also shared your comments with Grill 55 and once again, I assure you that your concerns will be addressed.

Thank you very much for your feedback and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cincinnati OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good location, nice rooms, great and interesting pool area for the kids. I've stayed here many times and it's always been good. Dont know about the restaurant. Had free internet and parking. Seems like office windows overlook the pool area!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites as your accommodation choice! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments, and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Grill 55 is our inhouse restaurant and their website is www.grill55.ca if you are interested in looking at their menu before you return. Have a great day!
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed for 1 day/night for work booking a meeting room and guest room. Both were very clean, good size, and well appointed. The location is easy to access with a good variety of restaurants in the area. Fitness centre and pool and quite nice. Internet access work well with no problems. The only (minor) issues I found were that while glasses were laid out in the meeting room no pitcher of water was provided; the remote for 1 of the TV's was a little wonky; and the AC unit in the meeting room seemed a bit weak not blow cold air like the one in the guest room did.

Overall happy with the stay and services and would book / stay at this hotel again when in Windsor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites for both your overnight stay and your meetings! I do apologize that the water was not in your meeting room upon arrival and trust that our porter brought it right away, once it was brought to their attention.

We appreciate your business and look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Thank you.
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Hotel has Amazing Reastaurant with great quality called Grill 55, the only problem that I encoutered was the internet signal I stayed on the 5,th floor and the signal was weak
the rooms are clean and in good shape , the hotel has a nice indoor swimming pool and fitness center I did not have a chance to try them yet

Room Tip: Its very convenient to have a very nice restaurant with great quality and good prices in the same Ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your feedback, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the services that Grill 55 offers. The restaurant has a great menu and it is very reasonably priced.

We do apologize that our internet signal was not a full strength during your stay. We were doing some upgrades to our service a couple of weeks ago, which did interfere with the strength of the signal.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Have a great day!
Mount Forest, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in April. The room was very spacious with a mini-kitchen and sitting room. The staff at reception were unpolished and not super friendly. I liked the attached restaurant Grill 55. I had a nice dinner and the wait staff were very friendly. There is also an Applebees just along the road and a Swiss Chalet across the street. I think that I may try the Hampton Inn across the street next time as their breakfast is included.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor facing the street and parking lot and didn't hear a thing....they must...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites during your stay here in Windsor. I do apologize for the luke warm reception upon your arrival and will certainly share with our Front Office Manager. This type of reception is not up to our standards and this will be addressed.

Please know that the Holiday Inn and Suites is the only "true" full service hotel in our neighborhood, offering room service for those that wish to dine in the comfort of their guestroom or having the choice to dine at Grill 55 without having to leave the premises. We also have a Tim Hortons in our parking lot to utilize as well.

Don't forget about our Priority Club Rewards program... one of the best hotel loyalty programs in the industry!

Many thanks for your feedback and we hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future!
Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The suite room is spacious with a sitting room and a bedroom, each with a flat screen TV. A mini-fridge is also provided. It is quiet at night. The hotel is conveniently located on the street which is extended from the end of the Highway 401, with many shops and restaurants around. It is about 6-7 km away from downtown and Caesars Casino, a strikingly beautiful venue of entertainment. The Market Buffet in the Casino is wonderful. Windsor is still a town struggling to be revived after economic downturn. However there are signs of recovery with more people in the downtown and shopping areas, and lots of trucks crossing the border back and forth.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from elevator as far as possible towards the corner or end of the building. Ask t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites! We certainly appreciate your business and are very happy that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel... and to the city! We have alot of wonderful things happening in the city right now with the new build of the state of the art Aquatic Centre, the Parkway project (1.6 Billion dollar roadway upgrade), summer festivals and 14 fantastic wineries in our backyard. Lots to see and do in the Windsor/Essex/Pelee Island areas!
Sombra, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

At Grill 55 after dinner I requested a decaf. It really tasted like instant Sanka. However, I did not say anything at that point. Went for breakfast. It was early morning and really needed a good cup of coffee. It was extremely weak. When I mentioned it to the waitress, she explained that the machine is calibrated by an external company so the restaurant has no control in changing the quality or making the coffee!! She brought a pot of expresso which was a little stronger but still weaker than most normal morning coffee brands in most restaurants. Surely Grill 55 can invest in a decent coffee maker to satisfy its customers. Will be back in June. Bringing my own mug and coffee for breakfast!!

Room Tip: Coffee drinkers beware of Grill 55
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
I will certainly provide your feedback regarding the coffee to the management team at Grill 55.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in June!

Many thanks

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!