“Worst absolute stay anywhere EVER!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Grimsby, Canada
“Worst absolute stay anywhere EVER!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Let me start off by saying I have never had a worse experience at a hotel ever before! I think because they are a big chain and will always have people staying in their hotel chain, that my small family means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things.
Please keep in mind for my review here, the following:
Hospitality Promise
Making your stay a complete success is our goal. Just let our Manager on Duty or front desk staff know if any part of of your stay isn't satisfactory. We promise to make it right or you won't pay for that part of your stay.

I had booked for my daughter's gymnastics competition this hotel over a month before and was confirmed in a King Executive Suite with guaranteed late check in. Upon arrival at the hotel we were informed that there were no longer any King beds available so he was giving us two Queens. Which in itself I could have lived with if it was still an Executive Suite. NO! It was a standard room!! Now I understand most people still might not have thought that was too big of a deal. I am on a very, very specific and strict meal plan and had brought my own food that I had expected to be able to have in my kitchenette and be able to heat up as needed. This room did not have a kitchenette, just a tiny bar fridge. So I traipsed back downstairs to speak with the manager at the desk. When I asked why he had given my room away, his VERY snotty response was that they don't do that, but that they had people request to stay extra nights and "What was I suppose to do kick them out of their rooms?!?". UH HELLO!!! Yes!! The hotel is fully booked, if you wish to stay an extra night you take what is available not some one else's booked room. I have never heard of another chain doing this! In compensation for this the manager gave me $3 dollars off a night....YES $3!
I then tried to explain my dilemma with the fact that I had no microwave and about my food situation and his response was "Well did you request one?? We don't have any left". I told the man that why on earth would I redundantly request a microwave when the room I was supposed to have should have had a microwave in it in the first place?! His further response to me was well we don't have any. I had to re-iterrate 6 times that I needed some way to be able to heat up my food before he rolled his eyes and said he would see if he could find one. Hmmm not 10 minutes later I had a microwave in my room. None left huh?! Now by this point in time another customer had come in to check in and was also booked in a King Executive Suite and was told they had none for her either. She was very upset and told the lady that she had called three times including that morning and was guaranteed her King Executive Room. I do not know the outcome of her "talks" with the front desk, but I sincerely hope it was more satisfactory than mine.
Now, at this time I am prepared to make the best of the stay as my daughter needed to sleep as she was competing the next morning and her rest was very important. So I went to close the blinds and guess what?? they don't have any. There are no privacy blinds on the windows, just sheers and these decorative side curtains that do nothing. So needless to say as soon as the sun came up in the morning we were all wide awake. We plugged in the fridge so we could keep our food cold and it made such a noise that my daughter cried that we had to unplug it or she couldn't sleep. Upon trying to turn the light on beside the bed we found out that the one outlet did not work. Using the towels in the morning two out of the three had stains on them.... All in all one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had.
I guess in the long run my wish was for a truly sincere apology. Instead all I got was sarcasm and rolled eyes. I will never, ever again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments during your stay here at the hotel. We certainly realize that there are several hotel choices in the Windsor area, and we appreciate your business. Rose City Gymnastics chose the Holiday Inn and Suites - Ambassador Bridge as the host hotel because of our reputation and strong partnership with this organization.

We understand that you feel that your challenges during your stay were not addressed properly and we do apologize for your inconveniences. Follow up has been initiated with every department to correct these issues, and we have forwarded all of the feedback from the entire weekend to appropriate Sales Manager/Convenor to review.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was in Windsor with my family for a shopping trip. Great accommodations, the hotel looks amazing all the renovations are completed and guestrooms were amazing. The service from front desk staff to housekeeping staff was top notch. I had breakfast on site restaurant which equally good from food and service. Keep up the great work!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites - Ambassador Bridge and thank you for your feedback. Our entire team takes great pride in our hotel and we strive to make sure all of our guests are well taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!
Seaforth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Holiday Inn's are always nice but we really enjoyed this one because of the nice pool. The kids (ages 2 and 8) had a blast swimming. Is a little smaller than what it looks like on-line but still nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn and Suites and thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel and pool! Our pool has a very warm and inviting atmosphere, and is actually the largest indoor saltwater pool in Windsor and is very popular! We look forward to having you and your familyl back for a visit!

Thank you once again!
Trenton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stopped at the Holiday Inn and Suites overnight because it was close to the Ambassador Bridge. Staff was very friendly and room was quiet. Decided to stop there again on our way back home. Enjoyed our stay. Took breakfast deal (Grill 55 restaurant in hotel) with the room... well worth it. Pet friendly hotel. Did not try the pool but the exercise room was ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites. We are very pleased that you had such a great stay the first time around that you opted to stay with us again! We are very proud of our hotel look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Have a great day!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Only a short visit here, on a quick business trip. Hotel was clean enough and rooms were also clean and a decent size , really just a regular Holiday Inn with a couple of minor negative comments such as check in ......four people working behind the frond desk and they had problems checking me in, one was on the phone, another on a cell phone texting or emailing and the other two were deep in conversation and seemed to have no idea I was even there. Stay away from the restaurant if you want to save some money, way overpriced for food and drinks and the service is terrible, they say they close at 11pm and they want you out in a hurry, the clean up starts at around 10.30pm as they start to clear behind the bar then they actually try to clean around you while you sit there....an amazing sight, you really feel uncomfortable and in the way.. Only other problem I had was staff shouting at each other in the hallways in the morning ( housekeeping I think ). Not a big problem to me as I was awake but I thought it might upset others at 8am in the morning. As you can see no huge problems, I may use the hotel again but certainly not the restaurant for dinner or drinks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I do apologize for the service that you received upon check in and will certainly pass this information to the Front Office Manager. Our hotel uses our guest feedback as a training opportunity or to thank our associates for a job well done, so your information is valuable to us.

Your concerns regarding Grill 55 have been forwarded onto the Food and Beverage Director. The menu/pricing changes periodically so this information will be taken into consideration.

I have also shared your comment regarding the housekeeping staff with our Executive Housekeeper, and this also has been addressed.

We really appreciate your business, feedback and continued support and hope that you will keep us in mind the next time you are traveling to our area.

Have a great day!
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Despite the lovely "Hospitality Promise" card in the hotel room bathroom which states that "making your stay a complete success is our goal" and the promise to "make it right or you won't pay for that part of you stay", we paid, (MUCH more than everyone else in our party) for what was very unenjoyable stay in the hotel.
Here are just SOME of the complaints we have about the hotel:
We were woken up early by the room service knocking on our door, and even opening it while we were inside the room.
The manager, Pat, was EXTREMELY condescending and rude when we tried to deal with her.
The booking system was flawed (the first time they gave us the wrong date and charges us $65 more than other friends we had staying the same night. Then they told us the hotel was booked so despite changing our date, they couldn't give us a better rate, but our friend called the day after and got a rate that was $60 less than ours. Then, the never correctly changed the original date and threatened to charge us for not cancelling the room, and that was the manager, Bushira, that did the switch. Finally, I spent hours in the lobby and on the phone speaking with guest services and the manager, only to be hung up on once, never called back by the manager, and spoken to very rudely by her).

I will NEVER go back to a Holiday Inn hotel and I will tell all my friends and family to avoid them as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay during your visit with your team. We do apologize that you still feel that your issues have not been resolved, however ,in all of the avenues that you have pursued regarding your concerns, the resolution have been consistent, fair and professional.

Thank you.
Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights on business and must say the service was amazing. This hotel is super-clean, crisp and modern and Grill 55 Restaurant has excellent breakfasts. Every employee I encountered had a hello and a "have a great day" - most welcoming. And the saltwater pool was fantastic! Highly recommended, and will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Team-Holiday-Inn-WIN, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites - Ambassador Bridge!

We certainly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with both the Front Desk Manager and the Food and Beverage Director at Grill 55. We use all feedback to commend our staff on a "job well done" and as a training opportunity when the need arises.

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites - Ambassador Bridge? Share your experiences!