“Affordable option, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Windsor
University Place
Save Saved
You added University Place to your Saves list
3140 Peter Street, Windsor, Ontario N9C 1H3, Canada (Sandwich)   |
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
vampie
“Affordable option, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I recently stayed for a night here. I usually stay at chain hotels or more expensive hotels but this time around, I really only needed a place to sleep. I almost stayed at Caesar`s in Windsor again but thought I would give this a try.

For $44 (with tax) I received a single-bed room with a bathroom shared with one other room. The room was dorm-style with a nice computer/study desk, chest of drawers, closet, mini-fridge and TV.

The bed was a twin size bed. It was an average bed. I personally can sleep almost anywhere and am not particular about beds and pillows as long as they are clean. I slept soundly but I can see that some people may find that bed uncomfortable i.e. those with back issues, older persons.

The bathroom was connected to my room and the other room. There was a lock on it. When using, you lock it from the inside which also lets the other room know it is occupied.

Overall, the bathroom and the room were clean.

There was free wi-fi provided. I found that the wi-fi was good but it would weaken at times and would lead to slower loading time.

There were also common areas which I did not utilize.

The location is very close to the university as well pubs etc.

It was a very affordable option and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you are accustomed to roughing it this is the residence for you. It is obviously a male staff that cleans the place. If you come from a clean house and good neighbourhood this is not the place for you. While the staff is nice, the whole thing is kind of sketchy. I should have known, as there is obviously a reason it's cheaper than other places.

Drains and shower were gross. I was very relieved that I brought my own bedding and towels. The ones provided were stained and old. The place is deceptively allover neat but not cleaned well. It is in desperate need of a deep cleaning. There is dust and grim in corners. The bed is against the wall and the walls were obviously not wiped down between guests. It's not stucco - normal walls that would take 10 minutes to wash. In my room you could tell someone opened a can of pop and it sprayed on the wall. I used a Lysol wipe and it came right off.

I saw about 6 some other rooms that were being used for short term rent and had comforters provided by University Place, and never saw two comforters the same. Not saying there aren't any the same, it just makes me question where they buy them (yard sales? using old comforters from home? keeping old comforters students brought from home?).

The room was dusty, I dusted, then it got very dusty very quickly again. My keyboard and books got dusty during the day while I was gone. I've never had a problem with this before. The air quality was terrible. I have stayed many places and never had any allergies. I very rarely get sick and I was sick after a couple of hours there. I had a sore throat, headache and runny nose. I was very stuffed up. I contribute this to the air quality. I used several different settings on the fan to no avail.

After realizing it was terrible when I arrived, I tried to cancel the rest of my stay to see if I could leave early by giving 48 hours notice. However, this 48 hours applies to BEFORE you check in. I suspect it is a common problem that people come and realize it's terrible. If they had let me go early, I would not have written this review.

Even though I wiped down the fridge with cleaner, it still smelt like smoke and flavoured my cucumber and grapes, and gave my lunch pail the same odor (smokey). This was upsetting. If you do stay there, make sure to bring sealed non perishables.

I was there for school for a couple of nights during a summer term (their slow time), and it was quite noisy. This wasn't a problem for me, but I'm sure other people don't want to be hearing doors (squeaky and loud), others music and TV, and people walking in the hall. The walls must be very thin because when I've stayed in student residences the sound did not travel as much.

Since I cleaned everything before I used it I probably left the place cleaner than I entered. I can't believe I paid $50/night to stay there, and lasted 4 days ($225 with taxes).

If you're staying there now and need advice, what I did was just spend as little time in the building as possible. There is a 24 hour McDonald's nearby that has wet naps you can use to clean with. It is about a ten minute walk both ways and worth every minute.

Free parking is conditional.

TL;DR - Only stay there if you're a guy who doesn't really care about cleanliness and noise, bring sealed nonperishables. I'm not saying this to be snobby, it's just the truth. Also, make sure you take everything you need as it is not a hotel (toilet paper, soap etc.).

What was good? Wifi, nice TV/stations, not cramped, own fridge (even though it smelt) had my own bathroom (even though it was grimy).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Owner at University Place, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We thank this reviewer because the comments help keep us sharp. At the same time, we must correct some misconceptions of our family business.
If you take a look at our website's videos you can see that you will certainly not be roughing it at University Place. We don't pretend to be a 5 star hotel but we do provide a simple, clean, quiet, comfortable place. The neighbourhood is simpler as well. We are not on a main road. We are located in a modest family home area of the city. We don't pretend to be surrounded by mansions. Families and students make up the majority of the mix of people you will meet walking in the area. And Sandwich Town is a treat just to the north of us with many pubs, diners and conveniences.
We absolutely agree that cleanliness is a must. In fact, we have recently added to our staff in order to share the workload of keeping our place clean and in good repair. However, in checking the staff's performance I admit to never checking down the drains. The surfaces and corners are the focus. The reviewer's comments about the walls are a bit of a mystery because the rooms were recently painted. I wish he/she would have let us know if something was missed. We would gladly apologize and quickly remedy it.
The comment about the comforters is frustrating, I admit. If the reviewer had brought that concern to us, I would have easily explained that our long term guests often prefer different colours and patterns. Having only one choice would limit our ability to serve people in ways that leave them comfortable, especially long term. I can also assure the reviewer and the reader that all of our comforters, and everything else we provide, is brand new. In fact, we bought a new supply of towels, pillows, bed linens and twin mattresses this past August and are currently pricing new comforters. The new comforters will likely be a selection of colours and patterns again.
Regarding air quality; I wonder if this was the source of this person's difficulty and overall negative experience. Were allergic reactions happening? Those can be miserable. Because of the intense agricultural base surrounding Windsor even some of our family members cannot visit the city without preventative medicines for their allergic reactions to pollens and the like. Aware of the discomfort these can inflict we take great care to regularly clean the air filters and bathroom vents at uPlace. The discomfort this reviewer felt physically may have exacerbated his/her sensitivity to noises in the common halls. The place is made of concrete decking, poured concrete walls and concrete blocks: certainly not paper thin! We did a sound check toward the end of re-construction. We turned up a television's sound to a painful full blast. It could barely be heard in the neighbouring room. Furthermore, because we want to provide a quiet space, we have night staff available to instantly quiet any guests who may not be cooperating with this quiet atmosphere. Gratefully, it is extremely rare, I am told by him, that he is called upon to settle anyone down. We seem to be attracting the kind of guests who expect and readily give respect to each other.
Regarding our cancellation policy; not true! Simply, we are not on a main highway. If someone does not show up or changes their mind (students do this for many reasons unrelated to uPlace) we are not likely to have someone roll in looking for a room at the last minute like a motel on a highway. On the other hand, our guests do get to enjoy a much more quiet neighbourhood because of our location. When we book a room for you, we honour our commitment and turn away everyone else who is asking for that room. In turn, we ask our guests to simply honour their requested commitment. It works in everyone's favour with lower rates and less vacancies.
Regarding the fridge: again, if this guest would have brought this to our attention, we would have gladly switched out the fridge with a spare. On cleaning the rooms after a stay we have yet to identify any fridge with a smokey odour.
Short stay parking is free. Long term guests pay a modest parking fee for a dedicated spot. The fee is 1/4th the cost of the University campus 4 blocks away.
Towels, soap and shampoo are offered at the Front Desk upon arrival. We decided to do things this way in order to not be wasteful and to focus these free supplies on our short term guests.
We don't know who this guest is but we know we do our best to be hospitable to everyone. We are sorry your experience was less than expected. Again, we thank you for your comments because we remain vigilant about these concerns.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Well this is now my second review of the U-place property and my findings this time are also favourable (Canadian spelling, deal with it!). The two main chaps are Mike and Rob, very friendly welcome and they are helpful even if they are not around all the time. This is after all a University Residence and not a hotel... but I believe at least in the summer it is acting as hotel due to vacancy rates from students and if you're in Windsor/Detroit area, and want to save money this place is a great option.

Like I said before if you want luxury and don't mind paying $200+ per night then go to Caesars. That place is a palace, but palaces cost MONEY! This place is clean, safe and close to everything you need. They have free parking and they give you towels too! I love that I can stay here, get a good night sleep for about 40 bucks per night. There is nothing in Windsor even close to that. You do have to share a washroom in the cheaper rooms, but I believe they do have some singles available for a bit more money.

Please do note that the on site kitchen is closed in the summer as there is not enough volume to justify having it open and there are a few good eating options just down the block on Sandwich street, but there isn't that much within walking distance. All the stuff you need and want is a short drive away in a town with very little traffic, so getting around shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I hope you find this review helpful and that you'll give this place a chance if you're on a tight travel budget. It really is good value for your money, which is rare these days.

Happy travels.

Room Tip: Make sure that you have every thing that you need like toiletries and such, because there isn't...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night because we were attending a wedding in Windsor.
Based on the TA reviews we booked and stayed at the Executive Suite 101.
The location seems a bit scary when driving to the residence, but inside it's clean and has everything you would need for an overnight accommodation.
They provide towels when checking in, but other than that there are no other amenities. Bring your own hand soap for the washroom.
all in all, very secure with key access at each entry.
I would rebook if we happen to be in that area again.
Don't expect the Ritz ;)

Room Tip: The executive rooms have a private bathroom Bring your own soap for the washroom
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

After my second stay at University Place for a short visit to Windsor, Ontario, I can say that this place is fantastic. If you are looking for a place that is affordable, comfortable, safe, and LGBTQIA friendly, then definitely book your stay here for summer visits to Windsor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was on a short trip to Windsor to look at real estate in the area and while I didn't buy anything during my trip I can say for certainty that this place is great value for your money. It's primary use is as a student residence. Which makes sense considering how close it is to the U. of Windsor. If it were full of loud students then maybe it won't work for you during the school year, but the rest of summer, I'd stay here if you want a nice place in a good location. The staff were friendly, helpful and good for conversation. I had a room on the first floor which was convenient. Most rooms do share a washroom with the room beside it, otherwise it's not a big deal. The other hotels in the area are about $100 more per night, so if you need your own washroom you'll have to pay up. The kitchen was closed and their are no restaurants near by, but I had a car (free parking!) so it was not a big deal.

If you want to save time and money stay here, plan and simple. It's excellent value for your money, but a no frills place (they do give you towels though!) If you need luxury, then go to Caesars and pay $300 per night. Simple as that.

Happy travels!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the ground floor. May not always be available, but it never hurts to as...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just returned from a nine night stay at University Place and will return when next visiting Windsor. University Place is clean, quiet, secure and close to public transit. The room was very comfortable and the staff were both courteous and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to University Place? Share your experiences!