“Friendly staff and great value for your money!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Windsor
University Place
You added University Place to your Saves list
3140 Peter Street, Windsor, Ontario N9C 1H3, Canada (Sandwich)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Windsor
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly staff and great value for your money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was on a short trip to Windsor to look at real estate in the area and while I didn't buy anything during my trip I can say for certainty that this place is great value for your money. It's primary use is as a student residence. Which makes sense considering how close it is to the U. of Windsor. If it were full of loud students then maybe it won't work for you during the school year, but the rest of summer, I'd stay here if you want a nice place in a good location. The staff were friendly, helpful and good for conversation. I had a room on the first floor which was convenient. Most rooms do share a washroom with the room beside it, otherwise it's not a big deal. The other hotels in the area are about $100 more per night, so if you need your own washroom you'll have to pay up. The kitchen was closed and their are no restaurants near by, but I had a car (free parking!) so it was not a big deal.

If you want to save time and money stay here, plan and simple. It's excellent value for your money, but a no frills place (they do give you towels though!) If you need luxury, then go to Caesars and pay $300 per night. Simple as that.

Happy travels!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the ground floor. May not always be available, but it never hurts to as...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just returned from a nine night stay at University Place and will return when next visiting Windsor. University Place is clean, quiet, secure and close to public transit. The room was very comfortable and the staff were both courteous and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Best place to stay in windsor, prices are great and the place is great, I stayed there for a month during the summer and everything was perfect, I didn't have any problem during my stay, the place is clean, safe and nice. Also close to university and river side.

Ahmad

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of months in summer time and it is an excellent place to stay. Its right by UWindsor, close to the riverfront and rooms are great, for students or for short stays. Excellent desk, bed, flat screen TV, AC, fridge in room and the staff is super helpful. Its quiet as well when you want to get some work done. Internet speed was perfectly fine, never had a problem. Laundry is on every floor and there is a shared kitchen on every floor as well. They have multiple types of rooms, from private to shared bathroom, that sorta thing. For short stay in Windsor for business, I'd probably go back here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed 4 nights in a single with shared bathroom for $39/night. This is the cheapest I could find in Windsor.

The place was convenient to local pubs and grocery stores on Sandwich St. The room was like any dorm-style room: had a bed, desk, heater, tv, mini-fridge, wifi access and not much else. You get access to the communal kitchen and laundry. The staff are mostly older students and keen to help.

It is basic but cheap and does the job. I noticed they have exceptional deals in Summer from $425/month. I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of those if you are here for a while.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms have shared bathroom. Ask if there is someone staying in the other room. They try...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I had read positive tripadvisor reviews about University Place before deciding to stay there. My experience was not as positive as others but I imagine there is a lot of variability depending on who is at the desk or the time of year that you stay. I stayed in December of 2011. Having stayed in university type residences I had a basic idea of what my experience may be like. However, I did not find the bathroom or the room to be that clean. For example, there was a long term build up of hair in the drain in the bathroom. The bedding was clean, thankfully. Staff were friendly and accommodating when I could find them. In the evening (5pm onward) there was no staff on the desk for two days. Upon check in, staff asked me to deposit 10 dollars for towels, however, when I left in the morning there was nobody on the desk so I did not get this money back. Also, I forgot the power cord for my computer in my room. I called several times (even spoke to the manager) leaving my name and the specifics but I did not hear back from the staff via phone or email regarding the lost power cord. I can deal with the residue of dust throughout the room or stray hairs on the floor as these are things you might expect in some university-type accommodations. What disappointed me was the lack of accountability and unavailability of staff. Although it was inexpensive to stay there the old truism of you get what you pay for works here.

Room Tip: Pay more for a better room or just pay more and get a place downtown.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Mike C, Owner at University Place, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
It is with sincerest apologies that we address this guest. Our staff slipped on this room and stay: we accept that responsibility.
In the meantime, cleaning practices have been refined and some new staff have kept up with our high cleanliness standards.
Access to staff is a bit of a puzzle for this guest because we have a staff member living in the building at night and over holidays. Posted at the Front Desk there is an extension number to call from the lobby phone if a person is not physically present at the desk when needed. We are often in other places in the building cleaning, fixing or improving our place.
The cell phone charger was found and returned by insured Express Post. Perhaps it arrived after this review was written.
Never hesitate to speak to us directly regarding an opportunity for us to show improvement. That is the pride of a family business.
M.C.
Gatineau, Québec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

You can't beat the price! A clean, comfortable room with parking, laundry, dining and entertainment facilities, you really can't ask for more at the current rates. A seven-day stay averages out to about $35 a night. Owner Mike also makes sure that guests and student residents have a very safe environment with an excellent security system. The location was also perfect for the things I wanted to do - take in the riverfront, go to Detroit, shop and visit friends in the west end. I will definitely go back, since I'd rather use my spending money for seeing the sights.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to University Place? Share your experiences!