“A bit of Bavaria for the common man” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“A bit of Bavaria for the common man”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I'm still trying to figure out how they decided to locate a restaurant here in the middle of an industrial area. But then, I guess the distinctions are being blurred, with people buying directly from many of these places, especially the wildly popular Dimpflmeir Bakery next door. You wouldn't happen to drop in; you'd come here very much on purpose. We decided to try it as a foursome on a Thursday night. Almost didn't make a reservation, but you should - there was one lonely empty table off in a corner but otherwise full.

Two of us had the pork hox and proclaimed it very good. Of course, impossible to finish so there's another meal waiting in the fridge. This is definitely the signature dish; I'd say 3/4 of the customers ordered it. My Franz Josef schnitzel was okay but perhaps a little overdone. Different, rolled up with Dijon and cheese. Worth a try once but I wouldn't have it again. Jaeger schnitzel was fine too, but again, nothing overly exciting.

The wines were at the low end of the scale, with prices to match. Those with more refined palates should stick to beer, which is more appropriate for this kind of food anyway. Desserts almost all came from Sweet Gallery, a very good quality bakery, but we opted for the strudel, the only dessert made in house, fresh every day. This is the way to go for sure.

As others have said, service was friendly but sometimes quite slow. While understaffed, the waitresses still seemed to have plenty of time for conversations with customers.

Overall, we were impressed and hope to return for lunch, where there is a wide and interesting selection.

This is not high class dining. No snob appeal and not a yuppie in sight. But it's not a greasy spoon or diner either. More like the kind of place a German working man might go to for a nice evening out. And that's okay with me.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“fantastic schnitzel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

been here before, friday myself and freind went had an excellent schnitzel dinner with red cabbage covered in mushroom sauce and a nice cold beer. a cocuple patrons had a ham hock huge wow...see the menu worth a visit ..in the,mifddle of an industrial area and street..parking can be a problem when they are busy..give them a try yiou won't be disappointed

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Not sure what the fuss is about- pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Decided to visit based on their appearance on the TV show 'You Gotta Eat Here'.

The location is very out of the way, smack in the middle of an industrial zone. Charming enough building, lots of parking along the side and back, nice patio area.

Go in and be transported to the 70’s. Very old decor, very Germanic. Soft modern jazz playing. my brain is short circuiting from the different themes.

We're seated. Two other tables eating. We wait. We wait more. We're still waiting. Waitress answers phones, chats with someone at bar. Our menus have been closed for 10 minutes. No drink order taken, no food order taken. Just as we're about to get up and leave, she arrives.

We go with goulash to split to start. My wife has the Josef something or other schnitzel, and I get the pork hox.

Goulash is first, and is delicious and very home made. Succulent chunks of beef, wonderful broth. This is the soup that Chunky soup wants to be when it grows up. Absolutely fantastic.

Mains arrive.

The schnitzel was somewhat dry at the edges, but very tasty as you got to the filling. Sharp cheese, tangy mustard. Vegetables were well cooked. Potatoes? Tasted like day old home fries.

The hox was enormous- enough to serve 3 people. A huge pork bone with what seemed like 2 pounds of meat on it. It's described as 'BBQ' on the menu, but is clearly deep fried. Crispy skin everywhere and loads of fat underneath before you get to the meat, which is very tasty and moist. This is HEAVY food though. If you can finish this, you're a big eater. Included with the pork is delicious home made sauerkraut, and the aforementioned home fries, but make no mistake this dish is about the hunk of pork.

Decided to pass on dessert. Like I said, this is heavy food.

Overall, was not too impressed. The schnitzel was tasty but certainly not worth $18, and the hox, while good, is just too heavy to be really enjoyable. Only the goulash really stood out. Factor in atrocious service, and we likely won't visit again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“German fare in the middle of nowhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

After watching an episode of You Gotta Eat Here my wife and I decided to check out The Musket. It is tucked away on a side street beside industrial buildings and a bakery. The decor inside and outside is pretty average. We were hoping the food would not be the same.
I ordered the BBQ pork hox with potatoes and sauerkraut. My wife ordered the jaegar schnitzel which was topped with mushrooms and served with red cabbage and spaetzle. Please note that we had to ask if the spaetzle came with the meal. The BBQ pork hox fell right off the bone and was tender and juicy. The skin was also crispy. I'm not much of a sauerkraut fan but I enjoyed that too. My wife's schnitzel was a large portion and also tasty. It was a bit dry for her liking but I guess to each their own. The red cabbage and the spaetzle were also pretty good.
We ended our meal by sharing the apple strudel.
After our entrees and dessert we were both stuffed. Our bill at the end of the evening was $70, which included tip. This was for two beers, both entrees and dessert. I would definitely come back and try other things.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris
“Food OK. Dull atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

After a third visit to this restaurant, we found the food good (for german food). The atmosphere inside is relatively dull. The restaurant is located in the middle of an industrial park.

• Visited April 2012