“Beer/Good, Burger/Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beer Bistro

Beer Bistro
18 King St East, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1C4, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-861-9872
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Beer Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Yonge St.
Transit: King Subway Station on the Yonge Line; King St. Street-Car service 24-hour Queen St. Street Car Service.
Toronto
“Beer/Good, Burger/Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went to BB yesterday, late afternnoon. My spouse had been having medical tests and had not eaten for 24 hrs. and was starving. We got there before the dinner menu was available, so we ordered burgers. We asked the server if we could have them cooked medium rare, but alas, was told it was "not allowed". I thought that was odd, as I have had steak tartare at BB before. We also asked for an order of their special "frites".
The fries were yummy, the draght beers were delightful, but the burgers were "blech".
My husband said they tasted like left over meat loaf. They had a strange texture that was
not meat like and I refused to eat mine. The server was kind enough to take mine off the bill. Note to self; go to BB for beer...and Allen's for burgers & beer.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Newmarket, Canada
“Creme brûlée!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I visited this restaurant before attending a concert. Neither one of us had eaten here before, but had heard good reviews.

We were seated immediately and our waitress came shortly after. We ordered drinks (I don't like beer but my husband tried some fancy beer). The waitress asked us if it was our first time, to which we said yes. She told is that the restaurant is known for their frites, and she would bring us a sample. After about 15-20 minutes our main course arrived and was delicious. I had salmon and vegetables (the veggies were a little salty) and my husband had the special of the night - roasted pig. The food was really good, but we were disappointed that the frites never showed up.

When we were finished dinner the waitress asked if we had received the frites and we told her no. She apologized numerous times, and immediately went to get us a sample. When she returned with the frites, she also offered us a complementary dessert, it wasn't necessary but we ordered the creme brûlée and thanked her.

Ok, the creme brûlée was the BEST I've ever had! It's one of our most favourite desserts and we generally order it whenever we go for dinner, and we share it. The creme brûlée at the Beer Bistro was amazing, and it had some sort of citrus undertone. We live just north of Toronto, but I told my husband next time we are in the city we will be returning to this restaurant for the great food and amazing service! Thank you Beer Bistro.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, ON
“Fabulous restaurant downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I should start this off by warning that I am not a beer drinker, so I cannot comment on their main focus which is the beer. But as a non-beer drinker, I still love this place. The food meny is somewhat limited but is really good and the cost is reasonable for the financial district. I love the french fries and if you like mussels, the mussel bowls are great. They also have a smores mug for dessert which is heavenly... I have only sat in the dining area (not the bar) and the service has been great. Bar area looks busy but the whole restaurant has a great atmosphere. I find most of the financial district restaurants to be overpriced and with not good food so the beer bistro is a refreshing change.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brit in Toronto
“One of my fave downtown restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just visited last week again. We decided to book the private room for an Anniversary Function a couple of years ago because we frequented "the joint". They did a really good job for 24 of us. You walk through the kitchen to get to the function room which impressed me with its cleanliness. Go for the Saturday and Sunday Brunch Bistro Eggs Benny - different kinds on rosti rather than muffins - delicious. Going on Saturday morning after the Lady Gaga concert!

Anyway, love the beer menu - the tastings are fun. The food is great. I read some complaints that the menu wasn't lextensive enough. Go to Pickle Barrel then. This menu focuses on seasonal ingredients, beer pairing, care and precision and great flavours. Must make a reservation - always busy but worth it. The bar is a crowded fun place to hang out after work for a couple of beers. If you don't like beer, well the cocktail and wine menus are also good. Love the variety of mussels, flat bread, Braised Rabbit, Steak Frites. Crowded, can get a little noisy, - all part of the ambience. Keep up the good work.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“Good but limited food, great beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you enjoy trying different types of beer, you'll enjoy this place. The beer selection is excellent, and it's possible to order taster trays containing smaller glasses of 8 different types. The food selection is far less impressive, and is heavily focused on meat. But the beer-braised ribs that I had were very good, and at a slightly higher level than typical pub food. This place is not a bad choice, and I would go there again, but I wouldn't necessarily make it my first choice.

• Visited November 2012