“Unique Korean Food in Toronto! Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joons Restaurant

Joons Restaurant
605 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6G1K6, Canada (The Annex)
(416) 538-2661
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,684 of 6,773 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Korean
Neighborhood: The Annex
Neighborhood: The Annex
Toronto, Canada
“Unique Korean Food in Toronto! Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've been to Korea and I love Korean food.. your typical dishes are bibimbap, black bean noodles, gingseng chicken, bulgogi etc. but Joon's is different. Even in Korea I didn't go somewhere like this but the concept is so simple and affordable. Joon's is a specialty restaurant that focuses on their main dish - a hot plate mixed with sauce/meat/veges etc.

It comes out to about $9 per portion (pp) and comes with the standard meat and veges on a hot skillet on a hot plate that they bring to your table. For $1.50 or $1 pp, you can add instand noodles, cheese (so good!), more meat, or rice etc. They heat it up for you, mix it with sauce of your choice and then serve it to you for you to divide up. It's so good and it looks like a mixture of random red/orange/yellow but it's different and delicious.

Definitely my favorite Korean restaurant in the area and although I love Song Cook, Joon's is unique in this way. They also serve your traditional korean meals, but I would go only for the hot plate. And you get sides!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After being told by several Koreans to go to Joons for Dak Galbi, we went (6 of us/5 were let down and one thought it was good) with high expectations. Let me preface my review by saying that I lived in Korean for 1.5 years and have made and eaten lots of yummy dak galbi. Anyway, the service was slow, but we were still excited about the food to come. First off we had dumplings, which were okay but nothing special. Then the dak galbi came and it was more or less tasteless, so we asked for hot sauce, which improved the taste but not by much. .Then the pan chan (side dishes): mediocre kimchi and some nasty creamy potato salad. Overall a mediocre meal! Food lacks love and taste. Stay away!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
canada
“dak galbi is the rason to try Joons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

One of my kids wanted us to try their new find. A place that serves dak galbi. Apparently there are only 2 places in K-town that serve this dish and Joons is one. The dish itself was fun and deserves its name of "commoners' galbi" or "university student's galbi" as it is inexpensive and there is a lot of it. That being said there was definite room for improvement including using real noodles rather than the packaged Raman-type stuff they used and fresh scallions and more cabbage would have been nice. We added rice cake (excellent) and cheese (which sounded like a horrible idea but was in fact great) The atmosphere is very casual and we were comfortable even though some of the chairs are pretty close to one another and manoeuvring past fellow dinners can be a challenge. Service was pleasant and efficient and we did not feel rushed in any way even though it was busy. The night I was there most of the diners were closer to my kid's age rather than mine so this again goes to that "university student's galbi" idea.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“the best korean restaurant in toronto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

this is simply the yummiest chicken dak galbi (stir fried, table-cooked spicy chili-pepper marinated chicken dish) we've had outside of south korea itself. joon's staff is wonderfully friendly and the prices are crazily inexpensive - we've been there at least 20 times in the past 8 years and it never disappoints!

we love you joons! :)

Visited April 2012
Ottawa
“Tasty & healthy Korean food for < 9 CAD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

• Atmosphere: OK, more comfy than your average Korean 'fast food' restaurant
• Food: Very good! We tried the beef dumplings (~ 5-6 CAD before tax & tip) as an appetizer and had the Bibimbop (+ side dishes) and the Kimchi Jeyuk as the main dishes (both ~ 8 CAD before tax & tip). Everything was very tasty and came extremely fast. The smell of the dakgalbi from all the adjoining tables was delicious!
• Price: Very valuable. Main dishes < 9 CAD before tax & tip (Dakgalbi ~14 CAD for two!)
• Service: Very quick & friendly

Would I come back and/or recommend to my friends: Definitely.
Dishes I recommend: Bibimbop (take it in a hot stone bowl!)
Anything else: Remember to bring cash! No credit cards accepted.

• Visited March 2012