“Have the flatbreads” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
“Have the flatbreads”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This has turned into an office favourite. Good food. Good bar. Have the flatbreads or the Mac and cheese or the Cobb Salad. It's all good.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto
“Consistently good food, atmosphere, beer, and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We go pretty regularly, and it's comfortable. The food is consistently tasty, and they have a decent beer list. It's more pub than restaurant...but you can tell that from the name.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous meal and great service ( at a price) !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had the Winterlicious prix-fixe. The entire meal was delectable .

The appetizers of Paté Brûlée and Haute Poutine with duck confit were outstanding.

The lamb shank as one of the main courses was succulent and seasoned perfectly . The standout dish though, was the Slider trois - 3 sliders - one with bison, one with duck fat confit pork butt & one with a panko-crusted crab cake. The crunch of the toasted buns contrasted well with the meats and especially with the crab cake topped with a hint of guacamole and chopped jalapeños.

Dessert consisted of a wonderful chocolate mascarpone mousse and a triple layer brownie cake which unfortunately seemed to have been too chilled to even cut through .

Just a word of caution though - the bill comes with a "special service " charge of almost 18 % added to the pre-tax or 16% on the total amount , which was fine by us , as we were satisfied with the food and the service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Terrible food - Terrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I recently went to Prohibition for a Winterlicious dinner. When brought our menus, I requested an every day menu, to which the waitress responded that would mean I would NOT be receieving my food at the same time as my four friends with whom I was eating.

I resigned to order off the Winterlicious menu and had nothing but regrets following. VERY small portions, less then wonderful food that was sloppily presented. The mac and cheese was apparently reasonable but such a small portion, the sliders my partner ordered were not palatable and the plate was returned to the kitchen half-full still (if you can say "half full") and the lamb was full of tendons, accompanied by a tiny portion of scalloped potatoes and a few green beans that were actually nicely cooked - highlight of the whole meal perhaps! In all I left feeling hungry and broke. When my partner asked to have a cappuccino with his dessert, he was lectured that it will not come at the same time as his dessert because the restaurant was too busy. Following this, everyone else was too afraid to order coffee/tea, etc with their dessert.

The overall cost of the meal was $25. I ordered two glasses of wine - one for $5.09 and one for $7.50. When presented with the bill, it was an astounding $49.25 as the restaurant had added 15% "service charge" on top of the bill and taxes. My partner and I left with spending just over $100 between the two of us.

Should I have been left the option to determine whether or not my waitress deserved a tip, the answer would have been a restounding NO! She was rude, sharp, slow and then announced that we needed to leave after paying our bill because the table was booked and it was time for us to go. Clearly she KNEW we would all have no choice but to tip or she wouldn't have acted this way?

I will never go back and I will continue to share what an awful dining experience I had at Prohibition gastro pub.

My hope for the waitress? She needs to leave the service industry for a desk gig somewhere that doesn't involve interpersonal skills. OR better yet, she should resign herself to telemarketing... I would happily hang up on her at dinner time!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
toronto
“Great brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Imaginative and creative twists to the usual pub fare, Interesting beer list. Must come back and try dinner.

• Visited December 2011