“Our favourite restaurant in Toronto” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto
“Our favourite restaurant in Toronto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

What's there not to love. The food is outstanding. We have been a few times and it is always spot on perfect. Okay, the room is very loud. Very cool atmosphere.

Visited April 2014

Calgary, Canada
“Differentt concept”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

if you go to a friend's house for dinner you eat what they cook, there is no menu and they often serve things family style. That's the concept here - the chef buys what looks good and creates a 4 course fixed price menu. We started with a beef tartar that was an optional add-on; it was really good with the mustard adding a bit of a zest to the flavours. We moved on to the Salt Baked Salmon Salad, which was my favourite course - the dressing was lemon goat yoghurt and dill and the salmon were amazing. The goat cheese wasn't crispy as advertised but still very nice. The main course was a flank steak (nicely prepared in an orange gremolata and red onion relish) with three side dishes - sauteed kale with beets and a horseradish ricotta (there wasn't enough of it); parsnips and sweet potato smash (bit too salty); spicy carrots and almonds (the almonds were the only thing that added texture in the sides - could've used more). Then we moved to a cheese plate with the cauliflower puree being the best part. Last was a very nice apple and pear crisp with the most wonderful mascarpone vanilla cream on it. Our waiter had recommended a nice bottle of 2011 Corbieres from Languedoc that worked well with all the savory courses. our service was prompt and attentive though a bit rushed between the tartar and the salad. There are two sittings every night so they were trying to ensure that we were on our way in time. The minor complaints are only that very minor - it was a great meal and we would go back. Out of the celebrity chef owners Lynn Crawford has one of the best places that we've eaten at.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“first time and not the last....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

this was my first visit to Ruby Watch CO. I will say from the time I walked in to the time I left I was very impressed. The staff were very friendly and look like they enjoy working there. The atmosphere was very nice, quaint, lots of conversation going on which would tell you that people are enjoying themselves, the restaurant itself is nicely laid out. Now to the food, first off if you don't know the menu changes daily so check their web-site as to the nightly dinner (to be honest I don't think you could go wrong whatever night you choose to pick Ruby's) but if you have certain specialties than do check the web-site. The food is awesome, felt like a home cooked meal, family style, everything comes in bowls and you share with your partner / partners, courses were spread out nicely, started off with salad, main dish, another smaller dish than dessert. They do offer a 'supplement' which the night I went was awesome (pork belly) so certainly save some room for the 'supplement'. While I will say the meal is reasonable, the alcohol can get a little pricy but I guess you don't pick Ruby's if you are counting your change or govern your alcohol intake to keep the tab a little lower. I will be back, thank you to the staff and look forward to seeing you again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Cozy and Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Everything from the service, atmosphere and of course food, was amazing! The restaurant is warm and inviting, the service was great, very knowledgeable staff, friendly and quite amusing at times. The food was delicious, so tasty and high quality. The way things are served felt very home style, I felt like I was in my mothers kitchen. I was very satisfied with my meal, didn't feel overly full, it was just the right amount and healthy, which I love.

I will definitely be back - thanks for a lovely dinner guys!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Finnaly a celebrity chef owned restaurant that lives up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was an amazing meal. Everything was cooked, prepared and served perfectly. I also found it to be very, very reasonably priced for the quality of the meal. The only thing that was pricey (for Toronto) was the wine, but even that I chose one of the more expensive bottles that evening.

• Visited July 2013