“Nice experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mengrai Thai

Mengrai Thai
82 Ontario Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416)840-2759
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Aventura, Florida
“Nice experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a lovely diner at mengra Thai. Our server was great, very professional, knew a lot about the specific menu items and ingredients. I had the original pad Thai, was cooked perfectly with enough spice and tender chicken breast. Appetizers were good, but a lot of fried items. I would recommend but definitely not better than khao San road on adelaide.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The best Thai food in the world! I went with a large group and they manage to look after all of us!I I had some very demanding friends with me and all of them left the restaurant very happy. What a wonderful night. Eating in Mengrai was a pleasure.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Currytastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The best Thai food in the city in my opinion. Brilliantly delicious curries, perfect Tom Yum, punctual and kind servers, great desserts. Pumpkin soup is fantastic. Green tea creme brulee was divine. This place is a gem.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
toronto
“Great Thai Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I've eaten here three times and enjoyed it each time. The first time someone had arranged for our party to be party to have a cooking lesson during our meal. This was actually quite fun and interesting to learn more about the ingredients as well as the chef. I generally find any dish I have tried there to be the "case study" or "paradigm" for that Thai dish -- or what I know of Thai dishes not having come from the country. For example -- the coconut soup. Simply put it is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing and one could truly make a meal on that alone. The only reason I don't rate the restaurant as excellent is the decor/surroundings. Quite frankly I suspect that they too are authentic Thai (!!!) (well perhaps not the Ikea curtains at the entrance to the rest rooms). The setting is pleasant, absolutely clean, more than adequate, and in the right genre. However in a highly competitive Toronto market I think they could do something to spiff the place up a bit. It is looking and feeling tired.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Thai restaurant for a special occassion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Recently took my aunt and cousins to this restaurant prior to seeing the Cirque de Soleil show Amaluna. I was looking for a nice restaurant with great food and a wonderful ambiance as we were celebrating milestone birthdays for my aunt and a cousin. They also had to take reservations! This restaurant delivered on all counts! And Allan was great at making the evening special. The only drawback is that we were at the table beside the door and every time the door opened there was a blast of cold air.

• Visited October 2012