“Whats that smell ???????” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3,985 of 6,776 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Barrie, Canada
“Whats that smell ???????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were visiting my sister and we decided to go to Montana's.
There was an odd smell when we entered. We assumed it was wet wood or polish. Ordered the food and I went to the washroom. The washroom was "URINE CAKE" heaven. Anyway, that smell cleared my nostrils and when I came out I recognized what the restaurant smell was. It was like a freshly cleaned barn. It had a smell of hay and cow manure. I don't find this offensive as I'm from the country and country smells, but this type of smell is not conducive to a healthy appetite. You should smell things that come from the kitchen, not things that smell like they come from a barn.
Service was slow, and for a Tuesday night was not busy, so there is no excuse.
I had the donuts for desert. Had a bit of a fishy taste to them.
I have eaten at other Montana's and they are very good, but I think I'll stay clear of this one.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Food Poisioned ,isnt that nice?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I had the ribs wings combo
And a beer
Thank God my girlfriend had something else
Food was poorly presented
And the wings were ice cold
That should have been my red flag
But I was really hungry and I ate all of the tainted meat.
Two hours later i was vomiting violently for ths next 8 hours.
I still am sick as i write this.
I will never eat there again and ive come to the realization that these mega chain meat joints are places that market a cool factor and a welcoming atmosphere but they really care about quality.
The food was poison and need i say more.
I will never eat there again because of their total lack of standards and I will tell everyone to avoid the place.
Montanas is a dive and what better way to make a customer learn and thats to poison them ,and charge you 50.bucks.. your lack if standards and
Will be your demise

Montana's sucks all around
Never again
Mike

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Food is very good but service is terrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My family and I went to this restaurant on a Sunday around 8:30pm. I did not think of making a reservation since it is a late dinner and I thought it would not be a problem.

I had several issues with this visit:

1. We were told we have to wait for 110 minutes to get a table even though there were at least 6 empty tables there that I counted easily that could accommodate our party... hmmm I thought to myself, maybe they were reserved. I was still in the forgiving mode.

2. We were finally seated after 10 minutes. I still could not understand what the held up is for, thought maybe those tables were reserved. But still I managed to smile at our server Mel.

3. We ordered right away as my boys were really hungry. We ordered 2 Chipotle hamburgers for my son and hubby; 1 pulled pork sandwich for my other son; ribs and wings combo for my eldest son and 1 pot roast soup for myself. I was not that hungry as I had a big lunch.

Mel came back around 9:20 to check if I would like to have my soup or should she bring it with the rest of the order. She did inform us that the food is behind. I told her I will wait.

9:30 Mel comes with the our orders. "Yeeyy" I said to Mel, "let me see it only took almost one hour for the order to come in". I was in a joking mood. No reply from her. No sign of rudeness but no apologies either. Now the bad news. The kitchen just told her that they don't have chicken wings anymore (after waiting for almost an hour!). She asked my son if he will order something else OR she could just give him more ribs instead of chicken wings. She will also give my son free dessert. To which I replied will it take another hour for the new order? She just again completely ignored my remarks. My son opted for more ribs.

My family thinks I am being mean to her. They think she does not control what goes on in the kitchen. True. I decided to forgive.

Luckily my son did not have to wait too long for his order of ribs to arrived.

The food were delicious. I almost felt sorry for being so negative.

We finished dinner, Mel comes back with 1 dessert menu and handed it directly to my son. I guess he gets to choose his dessert. He did not really want to claim his free dessert but I urged him and said we will help him finish it. So he ordered the ice cream "Mile pile mud pie" and I told Mel that we are not ordering dessert but we are just going to share my son's dessert.

The dessert was really good. It was huge...it was enough for 3 to 5 people.

Finally the bill came, I paid with my credit card and then I check the receipt. I know, I should have checked the bill first then pay. I noticed that she charged me for the dessert. I pointed it out to her to which she denied saying "free dessert". She said she will give us "free cookies". Huh? I was shocked. It was so awkward. I could not argue not paying for the dessert since we enjoyed it but we would have not ordered it to begin with if she did not say it is free. I know my boys would be very embarrassed if I complain so I did not pursue even though in my mind it is not right. She said she will be back for the cookies that was promised but we have to take it home. When I came home she did changed it to a couple of slices of chocolate cake. I think if the cookies came with our order of Mile mud pie we could have avoided the awkwardness. She could have said "I will bring your order of Mile mud Pie plus the complimentary dessert which are cookies".

When we got home I opened their website as I want to write a review right away. I was looking at their menu and lo and behold I discovered she over charged me with our order. The original order of ribs and wings is supposed to be $19.99. But she charged me $25.99 which is for "All you can eat ribs". Now I am fuming with madness. I got poor service, I over paid, I paid for a dessert which should have been complimentary because of their ineffficiencies, and I left her with a tip she does not deserve. I felt so cheated!

I agree with the other reviews. This location truly has an issue with service.

By the way those empty tables were not reserved. No one came. It was empty when we came in, still empty when we left. I would try other location since the food is really delicious.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“2 hour wait for my dinner!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Came to Montana's for the first time, we were welcomed and seated very quickly as we had a reservation of 13-15 people. When my fiancée and I showed up Sheldon was super awesome and was very attentive ! Serving us with a smile! After the rest of my family arrived it almost seemed chaotic, I think Sheldon could have used a hand while other server's were standing chatting by the front door.

To serve our entire table drinks took approximately 30 minutes which seemed almost too hard to believe. Drinks were forgotten, orders were not taken etc. Moving onto dinner we waited almost two hours for our food to come out!!!! Understandable that they were cooking for a large party however over 2 hours after being seated we finally were served dinner. Finally someone spoke to the manager on duty and she decided to jump in and lend her team a helping hand.

Things ended up moving along, half our table was served food while the other half watched us eat... orders were delivered with the wrong requests ( mashed patato's instead of baked, steamed veggies served almost raw etc.) At this point no one in our party was enjoying the service. We came to eat as a family and couldn't even do that.

Its evident that there is an operation issue and lack of leadership in this location. If we didnt stay on top of the staff we would have waited and waited and waited!

After all was said and done the manager on duty decided to offer us $5.00 off lunch coupons and complimentary doughnuts. I appreciate the effort but trashing your kitchen staff to upset customers and placing blame was ugly and very unprofessional.

I do not recommend this location. I'm sure Montana's has great food but I urge you to stay away from this location.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

On January 31 my friend and I ate at the Milner location of Montana's Cookhouse. We were truly impressed. The ribs my friend had and the grilled chicken salad I selected was very tasty and the portions are big. The service was outstanding (Thank you Ashleigh), the food was exceptional (lots to choose from on the menu) and we are certainly going back. There is plenty of parking space too. Great place for friends and family.