“hankering for fake Cajan food?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge
277 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2X4, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Baton Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #904 of 6,589 restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: John Street
Transit: Subway St-Andrews Station
Santa Clara, Panama
“hankering for fake Cajan food?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Oozing with suburban mall - chain-store atmosphere, this fake Cajan restaurant has everything a taste-challenged housewife could want - not too spicy, not too exotic, fast and not too expensive - all that is missing is charm, taste and authenticity.
If one more waiter comes up and says "Hi, my name is Chadd (with two d's) and I will be your waiter this morning - can I start you with an authentic Hurricane? I will do something violent.
I did not choose the place - we had to meet up with family and it was in the middle (Eaton's Center)
BTW - anyone that thought Baton Rouge was French deserves a double dose of Cajan hotsauce (psst... the super- secret ingredient is Tobasco sauce). Sorry to be harsh scubachicka - but you should not have skipped geography.
If you really want authentic Cajan cuisine, try Southern Accent in Mirvish Village. I have not been there in a year but it is still one of my favorites of all time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

54% Recommend
Hermosa Beach, California
“surprisingly delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited the restaurant for our first time on a Monday night.
It was half full,with no wait.
The decor is pleasing and comfortable.
We had an excellent server and the portions were huge.
We will return!

Visited November 2012
Prince Edward County, Canada
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

When I heard the name "Baton Rouge", I thought it was some fancy French restaurant. Not so. It's more like a typical "steakhouse" restaurant (as I heard someone more accurately describe it).

This one (there are three Baton Rouge restaurants in Toronto) is located next to the CN Tower, attached to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Be aware of that when booking reservations--know which location you are making reservations at.

The place was large and I have to say I liked the look of it. Now onto the review:

Food:
I ordered a salmon because fish is generally a healthy option. That was a mistake. Salmon is not something you can cheap out on. It came with a large salad that I could not finish and subsequently caused me not to be able to finish my entree. Bottom line: large portions, and the food on the plate isn't very good. But maybe I just chose the wrong item. This was my first time there.

Drinks:
I asked for lemonade. They had none. I got iced tea instead. They brought my dessert tea out with a pot of hot water and the tea bag--some people are really picky about that.

the Bill:
They automatically include gratuity in your bill. My salmon was $27, my drinks about $2, yet with the tax and gratuity I ended up paying $38.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Enormous portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went at 6pm on a Friday evening and the place was already packed. There was a 40 min wait so we got our names down then popped to do a bit of shopping in the Eaton Centre. Service was very good when we finally got seated and didn't have to wait very long for our food. The portions were huge - very big plates filled to the edges. Huge baked potatoes or loads of fries. Ribs looked good but I had chicken which was slightly overcooked. Coleslaw was excellent. Too full for dessert but they looked good and were large portions. Seems to be a very popular place as there was still a queue for tables when we left. Wasn't blown away by the food but it was adequate quality, just too much.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“They Said it Was Prime Rib”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I ordered the 10oz. prime rib and coffee. It came with free soup. I had the potato soup that came with bacon bits, cheese and onion greens on top. It was very nice. When the prime rib came it had grill marks on the top and bottom and was not marbled much or looked like it came off a recent roast. I suspect it was initially frozen and they thawed and grilled to warm it up. I initially asked for rare but the waiter said there was just medium rare. I asked the person who brought it and my waiter and they both said it was prime rib. The bill came to $33.79 with tax. I added tip later.

Been to Baton Rouge? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Baton Rouge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.