“Fresh food and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Toronto, Canada
“Fresh food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

Babu has many dishes and the food is made fresh daily. I cannot think of any other restaurant where you get not only good food but the value factor is very high. The business is always busy and there is usually a lineup to get your food but it is worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto
“Yummy, spicy Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have been frequenting the Markham location ever since it opened. We had heard good things about the food of the Scarborough location and this one doesn’t disappoint either.
There is plenty of choice - curries, meats, veg, fish etc - and the fellows behind the counter are helpful and eager to explain the dishes to a newbie like myself.

• Visited September 2011
Toronto
“Best Value Sri Lankan food on the go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This place is simply awesome! A friend of mine showed me this place and ever since I always grab some whenever I'm in the mood for a spicy lunch or dinner. The servers are pretty good, sometimes have trouble with the language barrier but still they understand so long as you point to what you want and wave your hands around to emphasize size, spicyness or taste :P The prices are are great. I always get a half combo which consists of white rice (average), 1 meat curry and 3 vegetable curries, all for... wait for it... $4.50!!! So since its so cheap I also add on a Mutton Roll ($1) and possibly a Naan, fresh from the tandore. I have yet to bring a friend here who has not enjoyed the food or the prices! The only thing I do not like about the place is its only take-out so sometimes when you're really hungry and just want to sit and eat, you can't. Unless you do what I do sometimes, which is go outside, sit on the curb and enjoy your meal :-)

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I'm from England so I'm pretty fond of spicy foods and different cuisines. Babu has everything from Currys, fish dishes, samosas, side dishes etc. Spicy foods, non-spicy foods, desserts and breaded snacks.

It's simple line up and take away service is very quick. It's my favourite Indian/Sri Lankan restaraunt and it's very affordable. If I spend $20 I can get 5 meals out of it, I can't even do that with pizza/mcdonalds/Greek etc

Don't be scared if you're a whitey wanting to try something different, it's good food. Give it a whirl, I did! I love the look I get when I go in as I'm the only white one in the line up!

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Okay food, but inefficient, terrible service - stay away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Food is good, if you can get what you want. As you get into the SLOW line, it snakes to the right,. around an L shaped corner. Staff are not present always to take your order there, so if they are, you miss your chance to get your mutter panner and have to go to the biryanis etc...or fall behind in the SLOW lineup.

On my visit today, staff could barely answer my questions. I was told a single small piece of tandoori chicken would cost me $1.50 - a plate would be probably $20!!! Their overhead price list is out of date, with pieces of masking tape covering up old prices, and others not readable. The 'specials' or plate orders and thereby very hard to figure out.

So...if you are a friend o the owner and speak fluent Tamil, and don't mind a very SLOW line (count on being there 20 minutes, even though everything is ready made in the serving pans) feel free to go there.

Otherwise, it might be worth staying away. send a clear message to the manager/owner that the whole serving situation, price disclosure and efficiency is being badly bungled, and people do have choices.

Luckily, in the same mall on Sheppard there are some tasty and EFFICIENT Indian restaurants, as well as many in the neighbourhood.

• Visited February 2011