“Lovely views, but overall a huge disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of c5 - CLOSED

c5
100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-586-7928
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Bloor St. and Avenue Rd.
Transit: St. George* or Museum Subway Stop; (*St. George is wheelchair accessible)
Scotland
“Lovely views, but overall a huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This restaurant has recently received a lot of hype in the Toronto press, and because of this, we decided to visit it for lunch with my mother.
The ROM has received a face lift in recent years, and with the addition of the famous 'Crystal' there came a new restaurant. The ROM is an excellent museum and its museum shop is one of the best in Toronto, however, this restaurant is rather minimalist and soul-less. Service was slow and somewhat pretentious. I object to being given what appeared to be bought chips to accompany my meal. I ordered the Poutine of Chicken which was served in a barely cooked jacket potato. I had three pieces of chicken - none of which were breast and the portion was pretty small. My husband ordered a hamburger in a bun, this was secured with a gherkin and a cocktail stick. He said it was extremely mundane, and that he would have enjoyed a MacDonald's hamburger better. He also said it was not really hot enough. My mother ordered goats cheese and tomato on a type of pitta bread, which she found pretty tasteless and left most of it. We did enjoy the view, but felt that there was room for a lot of improvement in this rather dreary restaurant which reminded us of a canteen. There are many better places to eat in Toronto.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Alcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant in museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This restaurant is on the top floor of the Royal Ontario Museum and is quite difficult to get to from the exhibits areas, but the effort paid off. Apparently the chef is a local celebrity and lunch was excellent. I had a lamb casserole with Harissa, which was excellent; exquisitely tender and just spicy enough. My wife also enjoyed the Tom Collins variant with Zubrowka vodka and Elderflower cordial. Well worth a visit if you are visiting the museum.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“Pleasant simple lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

C5's ample windows make for great midday lighting but the interior of the restaurant is so self-consciously minimalist in its black and white decor it comes off as a little soul-less. The food: simple high-quality ingredients harnessed into high-end lunch fare: also lacks pizzazz. The lobster salad was excellent if a little too creamy. The chicken soup got raves at my table, while the truffled potato crisps were a little ho-hum. The service was attentive and friendly but there is nothing that particularly stands out about C5. It's a nice enough lunch spot but I prefer a little more zest on my plate.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Couldn't get in for dinner, so had to settle for lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I waited too long to try to make a reservation at this fabulous restaurant in the ROM and so had to settle lunch which surpassed our expectations. My husband began with a mushroom soup which was so thick it looked like porridge. He said it was delicious and since I don't care for mushrooms, I have to believe him as there was none left. For our entrees I had the chicken pot pie which contained tasty summer vegetables and my husband had a lamb dish which was served on pearl couscous. My chicken pot pie came with a small salad with a variety of fresh greens and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. My husband had the pear tini and I had a glass of sauvignon blanc. I was too full for dessert, but he enjoyed his dessert which was a lovely banana and vanilla ice cream concoction that included a bit of maple syrup and black sesame seeds. We had a seat near the windows which was lovely because it was a very sunny day. Service is very good. Cost per person is about $40, including all items mentioned above and the tip. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roquebrune Cap Martin
“Good food and relaxing place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Unusual restauarnt in the heart of the Royal Ontario Museum. The decoration is modern style and very bright.
The waiters were friendly, but the service by itself was not as professionnal as one could expect in such a place.
The food was good , not tremendous , nicely presented with a good quality .
We had some good time, in family , that 's the most important.

• Visited June 2012