“Nice diner in the heart of Toronto” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fran's

Fran's
20 College St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 923-9867
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Poole, United Kingdom
“Nice diner in the heart of Toronto”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a Brit I comment on a traditional diner on the American continent with trepidation, but judging by the packed nature of this establishment when we arrived it seems even the locals love it.

Great breakfast menu with plenty of choice and despite it being completely full service was first rate with no waiting. Forget booking a hotel breakfast if you are staying in the city centre. Try here instead. Not the cheapest place, but good honest fayre that left me extremely full.

Nothing special true, but a solid diner that will be a staple when in Toronto

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Fast good all day breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I always have the steak and eggs with home fries. They under-cook the steak so order it one up from what you usually get.

Visited March 2013
Toronto
“When it's late, and there nothing else out there.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Well, this is Toronto 2013. And, things have definitely improved for late night dining since the 80's/90's. Since 1940- fine dining Fran's is not. However, for what is often called 'comfort food', this is definitely the place. You can certainly find enough fat, sugar, and salt, to keep you satisfied until your next vist. Fran's is to Toronto, much of what BEN'S was to Montreal. A fixture of late nights. An old friend you drop in on every so often, just to remember the good old days, before people started to count the calories, and carbs, and whatever newest fad du jour comes along.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Like a More Expensive Denny's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Apparently Fran's is a Toronto institution and that's the main source of it's appeal for a lot of people. I found the menu to be a lot like Denny's kind of diner food, but it was maybe 1.5 times as much in price. Maybe that's to be expected in Toronto. I had breakfast once (french toast) and late night dinner (veggie burger) as it was close to my hotel, the Holiday Inn. The food was just ok, and the restaurant wasn't exceptionally clean. The servers seemed to forget about me for a while, but they were generally nice. On the plus side it's open 24 hours, so might be a good place for greasy food and sobering up after some conference events ;)

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Elora, Ontario, Canada
“Slightly better than Golden Griddle, stay away from Grilled Cheese!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went for breakfast here on a Saturday morning with my buddy and son. I really love the look of Fran's. It has the old time diner feel to it and it feels special when you walk in. Waiter was very friendly and we were seated immediately. I had heard about the dynamite maple infused sausages so I got the breakfast with that. Eggs were cooked perfectly and I liked the side of beans. The sausages lived up to the hype as they were fantastic. However, our waiter sort of disappeared after dropping off the food. We asked someone else for coffee and she also didn't bring us any. We finally found our waiter after breakfast was over and we got another coffee. One more side note, stay away from the kids meal grilled cheese and fries. My son, who is 5, took 1 bite and realized this was one of the worst things he had ever eaten. The bread was stale and the frozen fries tasted like cardboard. He ate my maple infused sausages instead. We were saved by ordering an extra side of maple infused sausages. For the 3 of us, the meal came to $40 plus tip. A bit pricey and I think you are paying more for the look of the place than the actual food.

• Visited September 2012