“Want to go back!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
TORONTO
“Want to go back!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We saw Cafe Polonez featured on "You Gotta Eat Here" and went to check it out last Saturday. Service was friendly, but a little slow. I think it was a busy night. I had the borsht soup which was simply FANTASTIC!!!!! My husband and I shared a platter for 2, which was really tasty, and our daughter, who is gluten intolerant, had an unbreaded Wiener Schnitzel. She loved it. We had no room for desserts and ended up taking home some leftovers. We will most definitely go back to Cafe Polonez!

Toronto
“Hearty Polish Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

A landmark in this neighbourhood, Polonez has been around for years.

Best local spot for pierogies and schnitzel; warm and friendly atmosphere.

The big platters have been tarted up the last few years (no longer served on Kingston Pen aluminium trays!), but still a feast.

Visited December 2012
Westmont, New Jersey
“Just like my Polish grandfather cooked!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have eaten in many good North American Polish restaurants, but Cafe Polonez rises above them all. For the first time, I felt as if I were a kid back in my Polish Dzia Dzia's kitchen (my grandfather's). The food had an extra flavor that I haven't tasted in decades. I started with the mushroom soup, which was creamy and stocked with chopped bits of mushrooms, along with the chunks and slices. Not all restaurants include the chopped bits. (I also ordered the pickle soup for take out. It was very good, but with a few too many potatoes and not enough "pickle taste." However, I probably like my pickle soup more sour than do most people. It was a very hearty soup, and I would order it again). For the main course, I had the duck, which was stuffed with fruit. A whole half of duck was on the plate with a beet salad, a cabbage salad, veggies, and dumplings to die for! The beets were fresh, and I detected a slight bit of horseradish that gave the beet salad just the right amount of tang. The light and fluffy, marshmallow-like dumplings were shaped like small hockey pucks with a indented well full of butter in the center (the Polish name escapes me at the moment). The duck was fall-off-the-bone tender. I had to have a third of the duck wrapped, it was too big a portion to eat. Besides, I wanted that carcass with me at home so that I could pick it apart with my fingers and eat the duck meat right off the bones! My husband had the pork back ribs, which were meaty and tender. He had the sauerkraut pierogi, which were excellent with very mild sauerkraut. Some of the diners at neighboring tables were raving about the huge Polish pork schnitzel with mushrooms on their plates. Did I mention the prices? For Toronto, the prices are a steal, and for anywhere else they are more than reasonable. Service was prompt and courteous. I cannot wait to return.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Markham, Canada
“Great food and amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were a party of 7 that dined at Cafe Polonez on a Friday evening. We tried the homemade kompot, an appetizer of herring and a platter for 2 and a platter for 4. The kompot is a room temperature homemade fruit punch of sorts with whole strawberries and pear slices in it. All fruit punch should taste this yummy! The herring was really good. The flavours are really natural and not an over powering pickled or vinegar taste. It was just right! The platters are a great way to share food and try a little bit of everything. Our favourites were the hunter's stew and pierogies! For dessert, we ordered the dessert pierogies, which are filled with strawberries or blueberries and comes with sour cream. The food tasted wholesome, homemade and authentic from my travels to Poland.

The service was phenomenal too. When my husband arrived late, the waitress took the remaining food from the platter and reheated it and re-presented the platter on to a smaller platter and refreshed the sauces for the dumplings and cabbage rolls. This attention and care was exceptional given how busy the place was! A definite repeat is in order!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Good Polish food, relaxed atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Good, simple Polish dishes at reasonable prices. Very relaxed atmosphere. It can get busy, but service is good. Portions are huge. Specials are very good value. Pierogi, dumplings, schnitzels and potato pancakes are all very good. Try the house kompot to drink.