“Consistently Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Goldstone Noodle Restaurant

Goldstone Noodle Restaurant
266 Spadina Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (China Town)
(416) 596-9053
Neighborhood: China Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Consistently Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I'm from Toronto and also of Chinese background so hopefully this gives me credibility to talk about Chinese restaurants! I've also eaten all over Asia and I can tell you this is a great restaurant.

This is a true Hong Kong style diner - ducks and roast meats hanging from the windows and a no frills approach to service and everything. There is a great menu and all the items are wonderful and NOT greasy like so many Chinese places can do.

I come to this place all the time and I could easily eat here every day of the week. My favourite dish is the roast duck.

Let's get something straight with Chinese restaurants.... they are chaotic, items can be unfamiliar and there is unapologetically NO graces in these places. What you can get is a good meal. Please don't also assume that inexpensive is bad - Chinese restaurants just know how to run a business. Gold Stone is not that bad at all when it comes to this and the staff actually speaks excellent English but just don't expect 'Hi, my name is Tracy, I'm going to be looking after you tonight, can I start you off with a cocktail"? It's good food and that's about it.

The restaurant is packed all the time, especially in the evenings and this is a great sign, especially when you can see Chinese families and obvious regulars there. You really need to give a try.

• Visited December 2013

Toronto
“Chinese comfort food at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

You will find me a fixture at Goldstone 2-4 times per week for lunch or dinner.

I live and work close to Chinatown and there are very few places that I go as frequently as Goldstone for the simple reason that I love the food. My usual dishes are Chinese BBQ on rice or congee. The BBQ (BBQ Pork, Roast Pork, Duck, Chicken, etc) is very consistent and a generous portion for your budget. The congee is the only thing that I crave on a cold, wet day.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Quality control NONO even after 6 years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I hadn't eaten at this restaurant in 6 years due to the quality and cleanliness that always seemed sub-par. After not wanting to dine at my regular location which i dislike for forcing single diners to take up the shared round tables without even asking I came in expecting improvement.

I ordered BEEF CHICKEN CHOW MEIN BIRD NEST version and the presentation, temperature, taste was perfect BUT after 1/3 of eating I found strand of hair, long whcih was not mine. I lost my appetite and that feeling did not go away. I sat there looking at the men in the kitchen with no hair nets, just chatting away all late 40s god knows how many more hairs are in the noodle I did not want to find out and asked for the bill mentioning to the waitress who;s reasoning was oh its such a small detail we are so busy we overlook.. okay even though they gave me 1/2 off

I would never return.. gross

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Good Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good food and good prices. BBQ is great and the congee is so good. I have been here many times and never disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Don't Miss This One”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great food, low prices, very good service. You can't go wrong with those three things, can you? This restaurant has been here forever and never changes. This is some of the best Chinese food in Toronto, especially the noodle dishes, the squid and the huge bowls of wonton soup - a meal in itself. Credit cards are not taken, so bring cash. The formica tables pushed together create an informal atmosphere. It can feel crowded at lunch-hour rush, but service is faultess and fast. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013