“Nice haven from the rain” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dovercourt
Transit: Via TTC: Subway to Osgoode Station Queen Streetcar west to Beaconsfield or Subway to Dufferin Station Dufferin Bus to Queen Street Walk east to Beaconsfield
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Nice haven from the rain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I finally ate at The Drake lounge on Oct. 24th, like the dutiful (out of town) artist that I am.

Admittedly we (husband and I) had tried Fresh on Queen first, feeling like noshing on Buddha food. We changed our mind after much finagling over the warit list, then freezing our derrieres off under the 'heaters' at the outside tables. I left extremely irritated and ended up starved and buying paint at Woolfitts. Noticing the Drake across the road, we went in via the corner door and found this rather unremarkable quasi-grungy diner, but then quickly saw the door through to the lounge.

We found the lounge perfect for lounging! ?..and eating! I had a pint and a delicious turkey club - generous portions of turkey with avocado etc. My partner had the Drake special breakfast. Both were excellent. Our waiter was a very courteous, friendly and attentive man (sorry I didn't get his name!).

The only criticisms that I would pass on to the resto is that a gluten-free or wheat-free choice would be nice at this point since it is common by now, and since I have been wheat-free for 20 years myself. The other point is that I really wanted their chicken and coucous dish but the kitchen was out of chicken breasts - the most common piece of meat available.

Other than that, we'll be back again for more comfortable lounging and eating.

Teresa

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
“Cool Place to Be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Have eaten at the Drake (cocktail hour) and been to the lounge downstairs. The place is unmistakably Toronto and urban. Looking forward to returning soon.

“bunches of wannabe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

we met friends there from TIFF.. they suggested,...we regretted... service was good...just not our scene..far too hipster for us..

Visited September 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Unique menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I loved this place, my friend and I went early and ordered 3 sushi dishes before our friends arrived. The quality of the sushi was excellent. Then menu was unique because it had such a broad variety of sushi but then other Delicious North American dishes, such as the chicken dish I had. I also sampled the fish and chips my friend ate with delight.

The environment was very cool, nice rooftop patio. I would definitely go back if I am in Toronto again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Love this environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great place to meet up for drinks and see a young, hip Toronto crowd. Gets super busy with events, so go early and often!

Visited March 2012