“Good food - nice "touches" - attentive service..............” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wah Sing

Wah Sing
47 Baldwin St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (China Town)
416-599-8822
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,347 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: China Town
Toronto, Canada
“Good food - nice "touches" - attentive service..............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This restaurant is located on Baldwin near Beverly and had somehow escaped my radar till yesterday. The minute we entered the restaurant I sensed a somewhat unexpected 'refinement' : damask tablecloths, nice décor and pleasant background music ! enroute to our table we liked the look of the food on the tables we passed by ! Hot tea arrived at the table immediately in stainless steel thermoses - with really good quality tea of a good strength. For those of us who dine out and often at our neighborhood Chinese restaurants this is something we rarely see and we so appreciated it. We ordered 4 items to share and the food was so good that - for once ! - we actually finished everything and not because the portions were skimpy. The spicy shrimps were plump and very lightly "coated" - no grease at all. The filet mignon sizzler was tender and the dark sauce very intense and flavourful. The Cantonese noodles were particularly good with generous amounts of ingredients. The Yang Zhou fried rice was my least favorite as I found the rice a bit "hard" and greasy - I prefer my 'other' Chinese restaurant for this particular dish ! We also appreciated that one can still get a glass of house wine here for a reasonable price - no longer the case at our other Chinese restaurants in this area. More nice touches rounded off this excellent experience : a large dish of orange segments and fortune cookies came to the table with the bill-along with individually wrapped warmed up disposable finger towels ! We decided after the fact to have a dessert and chose - with difficulty - between 6 different sherbets served in their own real fruit shells......I knew these would be good as they used to be on restaurant menus years ago and then seemed to disappear. We will definitely be back. The prices are about 15-20 % higher than what we usually see at Chinese restaurants in the area but our bill for 4 with tax - before tip - came to $103..........not exactly unreasonable for good food served up with nice touches that make for a nice place to bring guests !!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Special Lobster?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

So this was our first stop after being in a car for 10 hours with traffic from NYC. So at this point I think anything would have tasted like it was cooked by Alain Ducasse himself. We of course ordered the 2 lobsters for $29.99 special eagerly anticipating the lobster goodness. Much to our disappointment the lobsters were obviously not fresh and way too rubbery. Some parts of the tail were almost like shredded pulled pork. How does lobster get that way? Sauce itself was ok but I understand now why it was swimming in sauce. Unfortunately not even that could mask the lackluster lobster. I guess you get what you pay for. So if you like fresh lobsters you can skip this dish. The chinese greens and squid dish we had were ok but when the hero of the dinner should be the lobster it becomes an after thought.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Really oily food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband had a hankering for Chinese food so we went to Wah Sing. Perhaps we should have ordered lobsters but as it happened we had spring/egg rolls, beef with flat noodles and black bean sauce, bok choy with mushrooms, and lemon chicken. The lemon chicken was reasonably good but the rest were so greasy we felt queasy! We left 3/4 of the bok choy and beef dishes and did not take them home. All in all it was the worst Chinese food we had had in recent memory.

Visited July 2013
Toronto
“Lobster Love”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Tucked into the south side of charming Baldwin Village, Wah Sing has flourished for decades. It has always been known for the Lobster "Two for One" special. The lobster comes prepared two ways, in orange and ginger sauce or in black bean sauce, This restaurant looks like it has been spruced up. Tables have crisp white cloths. Diners are greeted with steaming thermos pots of delicate tea. In the past we always enjoyed a variety of menu offerings, soups, beef, chicken and vegetable dishes, but last evening, we focused on the lobster, for which Wah Sing is noted.
I always promise myself I will eat slowly and yet accumulate more shells to discard then my dining companion. I took a photo to prove it. My shells are in the foreground.
It did not seem possible, but it was true. The lobster which was always outstanding was better than ever. It takes a long time to eat so allows for plenty of conversation. Service was prompt, and polite and the price fair. Our faultless meal was capped with a plate of orange sections, a hot towel for cleanup and the traditional fortune cookies. Lobster at Wah Sing is good fortune in itself!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“2 for 1 Lobster special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

You have to try the Lobster in maggi sauce - so delicious! I also had the fried rice with soft shell crab which was well worth it. You may think fried rice is fried rice and I've had many, but this was really good. It's a casual, chinese, roll up your sleeves and eat place for good food. The other table had crab which looked very good also. Very limited parking in the area, a few spots available in the back if you get there early. Service was friendly.

• Visited April 2013