“Terrible accessibility, mediocre meal: avoid!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House

Ruth's Chris Steak House
145 Richmond St. W | Hilton Toronto Hotel, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2L2, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
+1 416-955-1455
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #457 of 6,548 Restaurants in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Richmond/University
Description: Enjoy award-winning cuisine and gracious hospitality at Ruth's Chris Steak House and allow us to tempt you with a range of entrees from the finest USDA prime steaks broiled at 1800 degrees and served sizzling, to the freshest seafood and poultry, imaginative side dishes, unforgettable desserts and an award winning wine list. At Ruth's Chris, your steak is carefully selected from the finest USDA Prime beef available. It is aged to perfection and cut by hand at the restaurant. Then, your steak is broiled - to your exact order - at a searing 1800 degrees Fahrenheit to lock in the corn-fed flavor and natural juices. It's served hot and sizzling. In fact, you can actually hear your steak sizzling from across the room. Open for LUNCH every FRIDAY.
Toronto, Canada
“Terrible accessibility, mediocre meal: avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My boyfriend brought me here for my birthday after telling me how wonderful it was.

I was underwhelmed. There were things about this establishment that were amazing, though more that were not so. This is a place to go if you are young, able bodied and rich with no understanding of what good food really is.

We got the cheapest thing on the menu (and drank water, only) and it still cost my boyfriend more than what we would spend on a week's groceries! I felt guilty eating it. I couldn't enjoy this meal that was very important to him. Every bite, I calculated how much money I was eating. It's a good thing the bread was free!

The service staff were amazing: gracious, attentive and friendly.

The atmosphere was terrible: the dining room was practically empty, with no background noise or music. We heard every obnoxious word from the table across the room from us.

They sat my boyfriend and I at a "special" table that they had pre-set and moved surrounding chairs. I was very impressed to see this kind of preparedness and was expecting it the whole way through. I counted my chickens.

They sat us at a huge table, and insisted that my boyfriend sit across from me. We practically had to scream at one another to talk. In the end, we decided to just not talk, because it was hard to have any kind of intimate conversation: the kind of vibe you are looking for when you take your girlfriend to an expensive, "romantic" restaurant for her birthday.

I was displeased with the presentation of the food. As someone with difficulty manipulating hands, a separate plate for each item ordered is a nightmare. It is also wasteful. The negative environmental impact of this kind of practice has obviously not been considered.

The food was average tasting. These were dishes I could have easily made at home. Presentation was very sloppy, Plates looked as if they had been thrown together rather than crafted with the care they claim, though I compliment their pastry chef -- the best chocolate cake I have ever had!

I waited until the very last minute before going to the washroom. The doors were too heavy to open independently (with no door opener). Though certainly beautiful, the bathroom is very poorly laid out. There is barely enough space to pass by the sinks to get to the row of toilet stalls. The "wheelchair accessible" stall was a conventional stall at the end of the row with a grab bar mounted to the wall. You must be able to get out of your wheelchair and walk a few steps to get to this toilet, if you can maneuver yourself onto the toilet after closing an inward-opening stall door. Leaving my wheelchair outside the stall completely blocked the passageway to the door for other customers. Terribly unsafe.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent though expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The steaks were melt in your mouth and the service and staff were wonderful! The only downfall was it was very pricy.

Visited December 2013
Whitby, Canada
“Why so much hype??? Very average with a ludicrous price...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Went there for my bday, it's inside hidden in the Hilton... There's so much hype about this place and like most things in Toronto, the hype is totally baseless... Steak was expensive which is fine if the quality is there...it isn't, flavorless steak, no seasoning, boring... I'm not even a Keg fan but it is better than this place, much more flavor and far more value...

Server Paul, was a total Dick... Once we joked about getting our $55 bottle of wine because it was the cheapest Italian red, his attention disappeared...gee sorry about ur big tip, we left him 5% and I didn't even want to do that... Still our dinner with one appy and a bottle of wine was $337...NOT WORTH IT, find another place in TO to spend ur money...

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Belleville
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Food was excellent staff extremely friendly and personable. Did not like the food presentation - steak although good looked unappetizing on the plate. Prices extremely expensive. Selena our server was wonderful!

Visited January 2014
Toronto
“Excellent Steaks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have been there twice and since its very expensive, we go on special occasions only. They have a great selection of wines and other drinks. The starters are pretty good although very small in quantity. The steaks of course are perfect everytime and so is the service. For a steakhouse, even the desserts are wonderful. I have only one comment, I wish they would add more variety of sides, there are many potato dishes and not a whole lot of choice of other vegetables, the few veggies they do offer, are with cream sauce or some some other heavy way of making it.

• Visited November 2013