“I keep coming back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pho Hung Vietnamese Restaurant

Pho Hung Vietnamese Restaurant
350 Spadina Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-593-4274
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Brampton, Canada
“I keep coming back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Back before pho was everywhere, this was a great place to go. It remains pretty real even though it has been totally discovered. I almost prefer it over Golden Turtle, although that's delicious too.

Visited June 2012

Akron, Ohio
“This place is one reason why I come to this wonderful city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I know that there are two restaurants with this name in downtownToronto I know about the Spadina location. Now I am writing principally not about both places but about the Bloor Street location. Yes I have visited the Spadina location but my time has been devoted to eating food at the Bloor Street location. I discovered this restaurant many years ago. It has been one of my most important discoveries in this city that has so much to offer tourists who want to explore different food associated with far away countries. Pho Hung is a nutritional delight. Some parts of the menu might make you forget about certain types of regular chinese foods served in other restaurants. But you have to know what you are getting yourself into when you arrive for lunch or dinner. This place is not for the meat and potatoes crowd. Setting is not particulary luxurious or extravagant. Interior decoration is simple,.You pay for the food not for the interior decoration. Prices are indeed affordable and the restaurant is clean. Service is wonderful too as the waitresses or waiters help each other out delivering food to many different tables. Do not miss the food selections and location of this restaurant that is much more than a student cafeteria across from the ROM on Bloor Srreet. If you want a reason to visit this part of Toronto this is it for many people who like variety of asian food. Noodle dishes with asperagus and crab meat are delicious. Spring rolls with with shrimp or chicken are well worth your time. Crab meat with noodles and vegetables are my favorite dish, Take home a souvenir menu and learn about the other items for you to consume next time. There are more elaborate dishes to be seen on the tables where other patrons are seated so watch what those people order and eat so as to get an idea of what is good food there. If you see someting that appear to be nutritionally interesting and appetizing ask the waiter or waitresses about the food they bring to the other tables and take a lead from that type of food. There is a full menu with many selections. Vietnamese language or symbols try to explain what it is you are going to eat. Become famliar with the vietnamese name for the food that appeals to you. In this way you can communicate better with the person who takes yor order.Now this is the interesting style of eating food here for the method of selecting food and placing an order is almiost entirely in the hands of the dinner or lunch patron who is asked to fill out with a pen the small order paper with the number of the item and from the menu and how many items you want. Include size of the portion and the price on the order paper before giving it to the waiter or waitress. This method makes for self service in a way that brings something new to eating food there. When it is time to ask for your bill the waiter or waitress will bring you the same paper with a full price for you to pay. It includes what is like a value added tax that will add some more money but it goes to fund Canadian services. I have stayed there for extended time periods to admire the urban landscapeat lunch and dinner times. Reading the newpaper can be an enjoyable activity at this place. Restrooms are clean and the restaurant has much space for groups and many tables to accommodate two or more peope at once.I have met seated at the next table good interesting people - some are tourists but not all of whom are students - because I see what they are reading and eating and I ask questions. The environment is informal and casual - actually whatever you wear to the ROM or the near by Bon Miller Bookstores or to the music school across the street is fine. If you are exploring the campus be sure to visit this place. Few other restaurants have given me reason to make as many return visits as I have made to this restaurant. Try somethng new. I do not think that there are reservations,.But it does not make any difference. There is always a place to sit at a free table. Scenic view of the urban lanscape might qualify this place to hold a special place in your memories of visiting Toronto. During holiday seasons like the last week of December you will find a restricted schedule but do not be discouraged. I had been acclimated to asian food long before discovering this restaurant but I found something new here. My feeling is that the people who return often are from local businesses and the university. They are part of a captured audience or regular clientele who likes this place as much as I do. I believe that many visitors are from the East and like this food. If you want a place to forget about the nasty food associated with fast food restaurants this is it. Ask about food preparaton and the food itself. I believe that this restaurant has won many rewards for its food. Rightfully so. Nobody is entertaining you with music. Nobody is dancing or twirling metal rings or juggling bowling pins. This is a plain restaurant with nothing glamorous about the inside.except the food. I do not think that there is anything like what certain people go to restaurants for - like Sunday brunch or take out orders. But i might be wrong on this last point. Believe it or not this might be a good place for your style of TGIF! Groups of Asian students can be seen there often. Working a visit to the ROM in your schedule might be easy with a lunch here. Waitresses and waiters are most attentive, but they are not bothersome or annoying as can take place in many other restaurants where the waitresses and waiters ask how everything is more than three times it seems. I found them to be polite. Several of them regularly come near to where you are seated and you can ask any of them for help. On the wall are suggestions for eating food for a group of two or three or more people. Often I have ordered the fish dishes usually with noodles. But you can order a single item from the menu and enjoy it. I have ordered six spring shrimp rolls.They serve a pot of tea with your food as well as ice water if you ask for it. Ask about fried food if you have dietary restrictions. Notices about high sodium or salt content are not available on the menu. Healthy food choices should be included or marked as such. Guidelines for this type of information might be different here than in the States. There is a code for serving and preparing good food and the licences for doing so can be seen near the entrance. Food is served in an attractive manner and portions have been adequate or large enough.This is one place where single dinner or lunch guests can find a table for just one person without upsetting the apple cart. Seating arrangements can vary with the number of people who accompany you. I have often been interested in wrting a review of this place. Well here it is for the first time as I have many good things to say about the management and the food itself. I do recommend that you visit this restaurant and enjoy the food. Few places in this category of restaurants are better for me in downtown Toronto than the Bloor Street location,.This is nutritional heaven! Food is memorable and tasty!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“menu with choice; service without a smile”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

the food here is memorable, tasty and
healthy if you order carefully. Loads
of choices and you always feel full
by the time you leave. Customers of all
ages and cultures just keep coming.
Line ups at meal time. Unfortunately,
hurried, sloppy service - congeniality is
sacrificed. It's often painful to get
help with the menu, to get utensils if you are
in the middle row. No time!!
Be patient, the food outweighs the fast
forward staff. Washrooms could use
some TLC. However, at the
end of the meal, the Cashier always smiles.
What the heck, we'll go back - the price and
location is right.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
iGirl26
“Excellent food, great price and fast service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were stopping by Toronto's Chinatown on our way back home to Ottawa from a family road trip. We picked this place based on reviews from trip advisor and we were pretty satisfiedbwith our choice as well. I am french canadian and my family in law is Cambodian. We all agreed that the phò we had here was definitely one of the best we had so far. We all had #2 or # 8 (beef and beef with meat balls) except my husband who had # 12 (chicken). The broth is very good in both cases but the beef one is better ( from my husband's and my opinion). I am definitely putting this address in our Toronto favorites to come back next time we are around here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
“Please go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We do not usually go to asian restaurant outside of sushi. This was fantastic we even ordered too much and the server was kinf enough to advice us

• Visited June 2012