“Best Fish and Chips of my life” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British, Fish & Chips
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Best Fish and Chips of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I am super picky about my fish and chips. They have to have fresh, firm, juicy fish, a thick crunchy crust and have to be TASTY! The French fries must be crispy and cooked in good oil, the coleslaw a crisp, light accompaniment and the tartar light and sweet. Holy smokes - this place wins as best hands down!!! I am completely thrilled!! The place is a neighborhood hotspot, very busy but has a quick turn around. You can tell it's full of locals but all of the reviews (the reason I go) were terrific and they totally deserved it. I'm definitely coming back each trip to Toronto!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto
“It was this big!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Without a doubt, the best fish and chips I have ever had. It is a bit out of the way from downtown but well worth it for it's friendly service and British pub atmosphere or outdoor sunroom. The halibut and haddock are your choice but the fresh light crispy batter is theirs! The deserts have a few hidden surprises, if you have any room left. This is not just any old fish story.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“My new standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Delicious. Crispy and delicious goodness.

The server was a bit slow but very friendly and it was pretty busy. She dealt with a whiny kid at the next table with expertise though the server couldn't have been more than 2!

They have a nice covered patio with ceiling fans to keep the air moving. I love that they use lemons with cloves stuck in them to keep the mosquitos away.

Toronto, Canada
“Reminds me of home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Olde Yorke is my favorite fish and chip restaurant in Toronto. The food is really good and being English myself, I can vouch for their claim of authenticity (ie: real English style fish and chips).

If this review was on the food alone, I would be happy to give the restaurant 5 stars. I eat here at least twice a month and enjoy treating my friends to dinner here and seeing how much they enjoy an authentic British experience. But.... there is some minor areas that detract from the overall experience.

First, the main dinning room has definitely seen better days and is about 20 years overdue for a renovation. the carpet is tatty and while not what I would call dirty, it would be misleading to call it clean.

Second, like many restaurants, they don't actually clean their tables, just wipe them with an old rag and cold water leaving them sticky and sometimes smelly (when the rag has been used too much).

Third, in an effort to squeeze more hungry people into this popular restaurant, and exasperated by the unfortunate design of the dining room, you will invariably end up too close to other customers. This gives the unfortunate result of a 'fast-food' type atmosphere and does not make you want to stay for one of their lovely desserts and (not too lovely) coffee.

Fourth, and perhaps the worst part of this restaurant, is the lack of air-conditioning, I suspect that they do actually have it, it just doesn't seem to work very well. and within a very short time of each visit everyone will end up sweating (even in winter).. so don't get too dressed up, you will be too uncomfortable. I have often had to go and stand outside for awhile half way through my meal to cool down a little... yes, its always cooler outside.

Fifth, like almost every English restaurant that I have ever been to (including the ones back home) there seems to be a problem with flies. Perhaps calling it a 'problem' is overstating it a little, but in my book one fly is too many and it really annoys me when you have to wave them away from your food. I know it is almost impossible to not have any flies at all, but why don't they try putting screens on the windows and installing one of those fly zapper things... perhaps they feel this would take away too much from the English 'feel.'

Besides these small points, and if you think that the things I have listed will not bother you too much, you will have a great dining experience. Remember, even though I have some reservations and criticisms, I still keep going back.... I cant stay away from the place.. the food is just too good.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edmonton Alberta
“Fresh Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was a great "catch"!! Happened into this restaurant on the advice of a family member who lives in the neighbourhood. Our party all ordered the fish and chips and found the fish (cod) to be fresh and flaky with batter being very crisp and not at all greasy. The fries were as you would expect homemade and crispy.Upon arrival we were seated at the bar while a table was being prepared on the outdoor patio for our party of three. Our server was very attentive even though we arrived close to closing time she never made us feel rushed. This joint was hopping busy for a weeknight.Would highly recommend this if you love fish & chips. Only downside is they close early 9:00.

• Visited June 2014