“Felt Like Lyon.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Select Bistro

Le Select Bistro
432 Wellington St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-596-6405
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Stratford, Canada
“Felt Like Lyon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great atmosphere! Excellent service! Superb cuisine! My tuna was perfect! My salmon tartare blew my mind. I would never have thought the depth of flavour was possible. My wife had an amazing duck confit. The chocolate mousse was divine. Service was excellent, as the sommelier told us our wine was corked even though I didn't notice the slight off ness. Wonderful.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond Hill, Canada
“Exquisite flavor, unique choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Where else will you get smoked rabbit, duck leg, lamb burger and escargot in one place? Excited to see those choices that we don't normally see in Toronto, very nice setting, service was good too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Ontario
“A Wonderful Wedding Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked Le Select for our daughter's wedding celebration with 45 guests. All of the arrangements were superb and excellent value. We had the use of the private dining area and outdoor patio, which are spacious and artistically decorated. The house wines (viognier and merlot) were delicious. Everyone had 5 choices for dinner and all praised their meals. My mackerel was very tasty -- a dish to try again in the future. Service was expert. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“OK french food but lovely atmosphere and amazing wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

There are no good french restaurants in Toronto. I'm Parisian living in Toronto for 15 years, I know what I'm talking about
They are all fancy, overrated and if they are not pricey you end up with French food from the 60's (soupe a l'oignon, magret de canard, steak frite (OMG what's so fancy about a steak and french fries) that will cost.
Well French food is not that. French cuisine is first of all about camaraderie. That thing that please you going out with your friends in a restaurant to have good time good food without beeing worried about the price tag ot the way you should dress up.
Well , even though le Select is pricey, Fred succesfully manage to create this atmosphere. I exclusively eat at the bar, by myself for lunch with my daily newspaper, or with my friends bringing in our wines and tasting it there, thanks to Fred's BYOW. (if you do so, please share a glass to the owner , the sommelier or the bartender, that is politesse, breaks the ice and makes everyone comfortable . You would do the same at home right, why not in a place where you are supposed to relax)
It feels good there, it is warm, simple,and the food is above Toronto French standards. I still have hard time to pay that much money but that's Toronto, not le Select.
I visit le Select very regularly and do not go there for an amazing food experience. . If that's what you are looking for, then you should budget much more money and get a tasting menu somewhere else. Then you will may get something remarkable.
But you won't get the camaraderie.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Very Good French Cuisine in Toronto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went there with a few friends to celebrate a birthday.

Had the Confit De Canard (Duck Leg) for $27.95 (2 legs). It was cooked perfectly. The potatoes au gratin were great also.

Dessert we shared the Chocoate Mousse, Creme Brûlée and Lemon Tart.
All were delicious! Atmosphere is intimate yet good for a group setting also. Wine selection was fantastic.

I will be back again!