“Great , attentive and patient service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Papillon on Front

Le Papillon on Front
69 Front Street East, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-367-0303
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #300 of 6,781 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Description: Le Papillon on Front is located in the heart of Old Town Toronto. Inside of a beautiful Old Town Toronto building with exposed brick walls and high lofty ceilings sits the beautiful venue for Le Papillon on Front. It's exposed brick is complemented well by the aged hardwood floor and perfectly soft lighting. The venue suggests a lovely mix of romance, comfort, and of course, the classic French bistro atmosphere that has followed Le Papillon to all of its locations. In the warmer months Le Papillon on Front even creeps its way onto Front street, giving a beautiful view of the Flatiron building as well as the CN tower in the distance. With a closed in patio adorned with wonderfully arranged planters you experience a private feel, even while sitting on the heart of Front Street.
Oakville
“Great , attentive and patient service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was looking for a quick bite in between meetings and decided to settle for a croque Monsieur and a glass of wine...while the food arrived, my phone rang and I got stuck on a pretty lengthy discussion..once I was done, I was approached by Sophie, The young lady in charge of my table, who offered to warm up my sandwich..something that would never happen in Paris ! ( Birth place of the dish ) Great location, a nice " bistro - brasserie " interior, and very pleasant service ... By the way, I got to say, re heated, that croque - Monsieur was one of the best, if not the best, ever eaten !

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Oui!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

So delish, had the beef tenderloin with vegies and potato's. Service was amazing and the waiter was super friendly. The ambience was great, and very clean and felt like I was in a real French bistro in Paris.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Invited to return to Le Papillon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

After my last review, the manager invited my husband and I back to Le Papillon. We returned for a celebration dinner, and had an amazing three-course meal with amazing service. The managerial staff at this restaurant is clearly committed to improving all aspects of their customers' dining experiences. We will return!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Whitehorse, Canada
“Lovely Saturday brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Headed to the market but was so busy and we were looking for a nice coffee and some chat time. Stopped in at Le Papillon on Front and were not disappointed. Lovely atmosphere after the crush of the market. I had a Morning Glory to drink wish was fresh and crisp. My friend ordered the ouefs belle Helene which she said were very tasty. The eggs were cooked perfectly. She ordered hers with frites and I ordered my tourtière with salad. We then shared the salad and frites both of which were perfect. My tourtière was excellent and I did grow up in Quebec so I am picky. The crust was not my favorite style as I like the really light flaky type but the filling was savoury, chunky and just right. My mocha was made to order which is more cappuccino with just a hint of chocolate. Overall a great brunch. We lingered for three hours and were welcomed the whole time.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
“Tip Top Waiting Staff - Kitchen Lets Them Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My adult son made a 5:30 pm dinner reservation for four of us at Le Papillon. We had tickets for a 7:30pm show at the 'Sony Centre for the Performing Arts' that evening and both locations are only a short distance apart on Front St East. So location was very convenient. This was our first visit to Le Papillon.

The Maitre D' was wonderful...a very warm and funny gentleman who greeted and seated me immediately. Our waiter was equally charming and suggested a Kir Royale until my family arrived.

Our drinks and food order was taken promptly when everyone arrived.

I ordered from the Prix Fixe Menu, which appealed to me. The others ordered a la carte. My starter was Soupe De Poisson. One taste proved it to be luke warm at best. The steam was coming off my son's Soupe a l'Oignon Gratine...no steam from mine.

The waiter quickly removed it saying 'That's not good.' A fresh bowl of soup was produced minutes later....minus my soup spoon which had gone back with the first soup to the kitchen. Fresh soup spoon and this time it was hot and tasted much better.

My Arctic Char didn't have a lot of taste to it...in spite of being stuffed with spinach, lemongrass sauce and sautéed leek. It wasn't piping hot either, the way I normally like my food (especially on a cold April evening)...but passable this time.

The others found their entrees to be fine

We asked for the dessert menu...but for some reason the waiter brought us a plate with Pouding Chomeur /'Poor Man's Cake' on it and four teaspoons. It was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and garnished with a strawberry. Sadly, it wasn't very good and we left most of it uneaten. We ordered various coffees, paid our bill and left.

Our waiter, upon realizing we were seeing a show at 7:30pm made sure our bill was presented quickly. I think he realized we were not leaving his establishment with quite the smile on our faces we or he had hoped for. He had tried his very best.

However, I feel the fault lies plainly at the door of the kitchen staff. Why was the soup sent out luke warm and why was the Arctic Char not checked for lack of taste beforehand?

We had eaten at La Societe on Bloor Street West the week before. I would rather dine there than Le Papillon.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Sean G, General Manager at Le Papillon on Front, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello, my name is Sean and I am the current General Manager at Le Papillon on Front. I would first like to take this opportunity to apologize for what was a less than exceptional evening, which is unacceptable by the standards we set here.

You are absolutely right about the soup going out luke warm. When a soup is served it is to be served piping hot, and it should have been caught before ever making it to your table. This is obviously unacceptable. I'm happy they rectified the problem by getting a fresh, hot bowl, but you are correct and it should come out right the first time.

With regards to the Arctic Char, I apologize it wasn't to your liking. I can only assume there wasn't enough sauce with it as that most definitely complements the steamed fish and brings the dish together. Usually that dish does go out quite hot as it's steamed to order but passable is nowhere near the standard we strive for here. I'm quite confused as to how the dessert menu could have been overlooked and instead you simply received a Pouding Chomeur unless an individual at your table had ordered it already, but I would imagine you would have known about that! Our Pouding Chomeur has been a classic beloved dish over the last 40 years at Le Papillon so I can only assume there was a mistake in the preparation if it wasn't very good.

In the future if there are any shortcomings in any of our dishes please don't hesitate to inform your server about it and we will be happy to rectify the issues, as the guest is most important in this business. I hope this one unfortunately visit doesn't sour you on our restaurant as we put the utmost importance on the enjoyment of our guests and the satisfaction upon leaving.

If you would like to discuss this further I would love to hear from you, my personal email is sgowland.papillon@gmail.com

Sean