“A passable meal !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Bodega

La Bodega
30 Baldwin St, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1L3, Canada (China Town)
+1 416-977-1287
Neighborhood: China Town
Cross street: Between Beverly St and McCaul St
“A passable meal !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our winterlicious dinner menu started off with Veal Sweetbread Ravioli & Gulf Shrimp Pipérade. While the ravioli dish tasted disappointingly bland inviting the use of a few shakes of salt and pepper to enhance the taste , the shrimp was quite tasty, paired with its delicious sauce.
Our mains consisted of Grilled Fillet of Atlantic Cod with Quinoa, mission fig and heirloom tomato relish & Braised Ontario Lamb Shank with garlic Yukon mashed potato, with a rosemary, prune & cranberry sauce . The cod was probably the only delicious dish in the entire meal, with its wonderful warm quinoa almost resembling a pilaf in its preparation and the perfectly seasoned fish topped with the cold relish was a delight to savour. The lamb shank on the other hand was bland and uninspiring.
The desserts of White Chocolate and Raspberry Crème Brulée & Pudding Chomeur were disappointingly mediocre.
Service was slow and the servers seemed overwhelmed and inattentive . The ambience was noisy and felt cramped.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“awesome, amazing food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I came here for Winterlicious on Saturday night with my husband and we had an amazing experience! We got a great table by the window, which we were happy about, as the place was packed! There was no way you could have just showed up without a reservation. The winterlicious dinner special was a $35 prix fixe, which in my opinion was excellent value for the quality of food. I got the foie gras ravioli which was excellent and very enjoyable, for an appetizer. For a main, I got the beef short rib - also excellent. Finally, for dessert I got the creme brule - also super tasty. My husband was very happy with his food, too. We also polished off a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. The atmosphere was very cozy, and at the same time, cool. The dining room has this "historic Edwardian Toronto house" feel - yet it is modern at the same time. Best restaurant experience I have had in a while! It's always nice when winterlicious deals are awesome. I would come back in a heartbeat!

Visited January 2013
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I went to Bodega for brunch...after reviewing the menu we decided to start with appetizers. This was exciting because I rarely try appetizers at restaurants. I always go straight to the main. I had my eyes on the Warm Goat's Cheese Crostini with Frisée, Bacon, And a Raspberry Vinaigrette for $10. I love cheese, so naturally I wanted to try this. My second choice was the Vine Ripe Tomato Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella, Black Olives, Basil, And Balsamic Vinaigrette...

Full review and pictures here:

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Gem on Baldwin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I usually avoid Baldwin Ave as the restaurants are mediocre on this strip but my husband brought me here on date night. The decor is very plain and simple but warm and cozy. We ordered from the prix fixe menu which was exceptional, in quality and value. We started with the crab cakes and bitter greens salad and shared them. Both were outstanding. The flat iron steak and frites were perfectly prepared and delicious. My husband ordered the duck confit and was equally pleased with his selection. The portions were appropriately sized. We felt that the last course, dessert,was manageable and we finished feeling totally satiated. Service was good. Wait staff was friendly but not very knowledgeable about the wine selection. Note that the wines listed with green dots next to them on the menu means they are out of stock. It doesn't mean they are special or featured wines. We would definitely return.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went here for a post-graduation celebration dinner. 1 of our group, the graduate, is a vegetarian. Bodega was spectacular. They have a $35 prix fixe which is extremely well-priced for such a high quality meal. The appetizers were wonderful - we had crab cakes & greens. For the main course, 2 had flatiron steaks, 1 had trout, I had a vegetarian risotto & for my sister - we had called ahead and requested the 'vegetarian tower' - a beautiful tower of grilled vegetables & cheese (perhaps chevre - but I'm not sure).

I would highly recommend. You'd be hard pressed to get this quality for $35.

• Visited October 2012