“HORRIBLE SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Il Posto Nuovo

Il Posto Nuovo
148 Yorkville Ave (At Avenue Rd), Toronto, Ontario, Canada (The Annex)
416-968-0469
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Posto Nuovo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,024 of 6,776 Restaurants in Toronto
Transit: bay & bloor station
Toronto
“HORRIBLE SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We went for a Summerlicious dinner at Il Posto. The service was HORRIBLE, because our waiter barely smiled or said anything to us during our time there. The only things he said were "What would you like to have?" and "Here is your bill, thank you." I had to wave him down to get him to refill my empty glass for water. The wait times for ordering, getting our three courses, asking for the bill, and receiving our bill were LONG. At the end, when we finally receive our bill, we noticed that the waiter has written in the amount of tip that we should give him, which was 17% that I was planning on giving him. I was a bit offended by this, because to my understanding only a group of 6 or more would have a bill that includes the gratuity, but we were only 3. I'm not sure if the waiter thought that we didn't seem like the type of people who would give him a decent tip, but nonetheless, I have never had my waiter dictate and write in the amount of tip that I should give him.

I understand that the waiters were busy, and the restaurant could definitely used a few more waiters. I have heard many waiters/waitresses blame it on the large number of customers during Summerlicious. But the decline in their service quality during Summerlicious simply discourages new customers from returning their restaurant during the regular season. I mean, if I was already paying $35/meal and getting such bad service, why would I come back and pay even more and get the same bad service? If they have Summerlicious to blame, then they shouldn't even consider participating in Summerlicious. Nobody forced them to participate. The way they treated us was as if they didn't even appreciate our business. I understand that they are not making as much money from each meal of Summerlicious, but the fact is: they are still making money. The fact that they even wrote in my tip amount told me "well, since we're not making as much from your plate, we'll make sure you tip us well."

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Yorkville's finest...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I really like il Posto, especially in the summer, when the patio is open and buzzing with the top crowd of Yorkville's residents and financial district's "somebodies". In the winter is a little quieter but so is everywhere else in Toronto.

My parents have been going there for years and, and although it's a mature restaurant, I enjoy doing il Posto at least once a month. Very relaxing, civilized... and still down to earth. The staff is not pretentious and they are able to do anything for you... Whether it's in the menu or not. Just ask what you want!

They change the menu every once in a while and bring in winter/summer dishes. My favorite is the beef tenderloin, something of a quality that you don't find anywhere in Toronto. Other nice dishes are the sea bass, tuna, and the calfs liver.

Overall... Exceptional food, warm place, great smiles!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario
“Disappointing experience, waiter was arrogant, disdainful of us!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I had read positive reviews of this restaurant, and so I decided to take my best friend, who was visiting from Nova Scotia, to Il Posto. The maitre de was friendly and welcoming, but our waiter, an African-American, middle-aged male, was appallingly unfriendly and disdainful in his treatment of us. He rarely made eye contact with us as he described specials, and he did not smile once. He presented himself as though he would rather be anyplace else but at his job site. The salads were mediocre, and the pan-seared halibut was just okay, nothing exceptional. Considering the price of the meal selections and the location of this restaurant, I was very, very disappointed with our dining experience, and I was embarrassed to have taken my friend to such an establishment. Needless to say, I shall tell my friends of my experience and will never return to Il Posto restaurant.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Worst Waiter in the Greater Toronto Area”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Took overseas clients to dinner because they had enjoyed this place on previous occasions. I never felt so embarrased in a restaurant - the waiter was completely oblivious and obnoxious to the extent that my client /guest had a long conversation with the owner complaining about this persons attitude. I probably dine out two to three timnes weekly in many of the good restaurants in Toronto, but will certainly not return here. To top it all off, the waiter decided to add a 15% service charge to the bill!! ( Remember, this is not the Spaghetti Factory!)

New York CIty
“OMG! One of the best meals ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Being a NYC native and having dined at some of the nicest restaurants around the country, saying that the dinner we had at this restaurant was truly one of the best is quite a statement.. but it's TRUE! I had the baked goat cheese for appetizer, gnocchi for dinner and the tiramisu for dessert. My husband had the seafood salad for app, the seafood risotto for dinner and the banana mousse cake for dessert. It was phenominal! There were only two tables seated b/c it was Victoria Day but we had the waiter all to ourselves so that was great. Highly recommended and will surely go back if ever in Toronto!