“Delicious food and wonderful service!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,040 of 6,561 restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious food and wonderful service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I took my mom here for dinner tonight. I ordered the rigatoni bolognese and she the linguini di mare (mussels, sea scallops, calamari). We were promptly seated by the friendly hostess and our waiter was very friendly when he approached us. The food arrived within a reasonable time. My mom loved her dish - she said that the seafood was fresh and delicious. I in turn enjoyed my rigatoni bolognese, which I've had many times before. I love coming to this restaurant and the friendliness I receive from the staff.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Toronto
“A Chain of Italian Restaurants across the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We ate today at the Danforth branch.The service here was great. The food was very good, but the servings were a bit smaller in size than our family was hoping for. There used to be a buffet here, but no more. We eat here every now and then, so our tip is: come mid-afternoon to avoid the crowds. That is the best way to enjoy a quieter meal. I am done. The end.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto
“Too much for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

A friend of mine and I have been meeting here for lunch for years at least once a month. The regular staff is so used to us that they know that once one of us shows up, the other is soon to follow. We like sitting outside because the inside is unbearably noisy once the place gets crowded.

Service is always pretty good, and so is the food.

At today's visit, we found that management had reprinted the menus and raised the prices in the process. Probably just a bunch of typos that somehow passed proof reading. ;) Of course a restaurant is not immune to pressures on its cost structure, so I have no problem with that per se. However, if I have to pay a high price for a heap of pasta half of which I can't finish at lunch, I ask myself why they don't charge 3/4 of the high price for a serving 1/2 the size.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oshawa, Canada
“Good neighbourhood Italian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Il Fornello in the Bayview Village Shopping Centre is an upscale neighbourhood Italian restaurant. The main attraction is their fiery pizza oven where pizzas made from fresh ingredients are baked. I had their minestrone which had a tomato base, chick peas, spinach, carrots and a topping of Parmesan. The quattro stagioni pizza ($16) had a generous serving of artichokes and hot salami. I had the whole grain option for the crust. Gluten free crusts are also available for an extra $4. The linguini di mare ($20) has a tasty sauce and plenty of seafood, including large scallops. The restaurant is popular, which means that the noise level can be high.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
toronto
“Nice brunch menu, but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were a group of 4 who went to the Il Fornello on the Danforth for brunch. The menu was varied and just right for a Sunday brunch. The service was excellent and the outdoor seating very pleasant. However, the servings were small and the prices were fair, but not amazing. In other words, either the servings should have been larger or the prices cheaper. The vegeterian egg item was delicious, but I would have liked to see more bread served with it and as well, a garnish of tomatoes or salad or even potatoes. The seperate salad ordered was tasty but at $9 for a small, I would have liked a larger serving. The coffee was delicious, but served in small mugs. Free refills were offered for the regular coffee, but not for my cappucino. I can understand that, but again a larger cup should have been used.
Will I return? Probably as the location and service and food were very good. However, I don't like when restaurants are "stingy" with food. I'm a fairly good cook and I know that it's always nice to surprise someone with more than they expect, not less.

• Visited August 2011