“Decent food, great patio, indifferent service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hemingway's Restaurant

Hemingway's Restaurant
142 Cumberland St, Toronto, Ontario M5R 1A8, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 968-2828
Cuisines: Australian, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Decent food, great patio, indifferent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've been to Hemingway's three times now so I feel fairly confident in my review. All 3 times were weekend afternoons. The atmosphere is interesting and lively.
The retractable awning on the main rooftop patio is excellent for when the sun gets to be a bit much. Also when it rains.
The selection of food is okay. Varies a lot depending on the time of day. Quality was okay given the prices.
All that said, I would go back there anytime for a casual lunch or whatever, except for the service.
Each time it took several minutes for any server to approach us. This review is based on my last visit.
We had to ask especially for water, which was frustrating as it was over 35 degrees out. We weren't once offered refills on water, and when I asked for more water it took almost 10 minutes. The same went for soft drinks.
Entrees all came out at different times, and no explanation or apology by the various indifferent servers.
I got the feeling that if we were drinking more alcohol we would have been more welcome and had better service. Which would be fine if this was a bar and not trying to be a friendly restaurant.

Visited July 2013

“Felt Pushed Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I took my friends to Hemingway's because I have been there before and I wanted to have lunch on a patio in Yorkville and theirs is quite large.

The waitress never introduced herself and once we each ordered something to drink and a meal our drinks menu was taken and immediately upon finishing our food the bill was brought to us. My friends were thinking of ordering more drinks and we had never asked for the bill so we felt hurried and pushed out and not welcome (the patio was not busy at the time).

I'll have to think twice of returning to Hemingway's.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Really enjoyed the pation upstairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had a great night here, my husband and I enjoyed some pasta as well as a great steak, our server helped us pair our meal nicely with some wine that they have by the glass, it was great. It does get a bit loud up there but we did not mind. We could still talk and enjoy ourselves.

Visited August 2012
“The Entire Package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Located in the heart of Yorkville, Hemingway's is the perfect spot to enjoy a great meal and a drinks with friends. The heated patio is open year-round. Not only is the ambience romantic and inviting, the food is absolutely delicious with many options to choose from. The staff is always friendly and the service is exceptional. Definitely one of my favourite spots in the city.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“I have been to Hemmigways many times and I always returned”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have always enjoyed my experience at Hemmingway's, I usually sit on the patio on top, they have a nice selection of wines by the glass and they dont mind helping you pair your wine selection with what the best food would be with it. I have tried pasta, steak, but never the bar food, not sure what thats like but all my choices have been great. I hope they keep up the good work.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere